PDA

View Full Version : Confidential Q&A...

BelArgUSA
30th Aug 2007, 02:06
To all airline crews...
xxx
I have a concern about the confidential nature of some information you provide here to the general public, and try to answer their questions of enthusiastic or general interest. However, I have a concern...
xxx
Matters of security procedures in case of terrorists, hijackings etc... should not be discussed or disclosed by airline crews. It is your safety and mine that is at stake here. What we do in such events is none of the public's interest.
xxx
Mechanical malfunctions, DMIs, and how we deal with them are also often misunderstood by the general public and especially passengers. I had to deal recently with one of our captains who disclosed to passengers that a 747 was dispatched with a nē 2 generator inoperative (and properly DMIed), and consequence was that 17 passengers refused to fly back to Buenos Aires in "fear that airplane was going to crash"...
xxx
I see many discussions here of "airplanes returning to their point of departure or continuing to their destination"... These are technical matters, and pilots understand limitations and operate airplanes with the safety of flight as a primary concern...
xxx
I am not an aeronautical hero and John Wayne type with a leather jacket and goggles. If I fly an airplane from A to B, it is because I feel it is safe to be flown to that point. I am just concerned at saving my life, as I have two young kids to take care of, and if I arrive in "one piece", it is likely that the 400 passengers and crewmembers in my plane will arrive safely as well.
xxx
What I will do if Mohammed Atta's brothers are aboard when they insist that I crash my 747 full of fuel on Disneyworld or the Sears Tower is nobody's business except myself and my crew. I do not have to disclose procedures and coded communications in matters of security, and I urge all airline crews to abide by the confidential nature of how operations are safely conducted.
xxx
If I hold a Kalashnikov AK-47 rating, or will dump the toilets in Havana´s airspace is not the concern of the public... You fly with me or with my airline, we shall do our best to make you enjoy the trip, and arrive safely, with a generator inoperative...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Jetdriver
30th Aug 2007, 06:38
One of the reasons the forum is moderated.

Rainboe
30th Aug 2007, 14:04
BelArg- very, very sensible. I am appalled when I hear some of the things said on the PA, and get alarmed occasionally at some of the things casually discussed in threads here on Pprune with people who really have no business discussing such things. I, too, feel that some drastic moderation and censorship is needed here, especially in security matters.