PDA

View Full Version : ICAO standard engine failure

generet
29th Aug 2007, 19:35
Hey all!

Does anybody knows what is icao standard engine failure?
I read somewhere is rwy track ,climb MSA and then to a convenient nav aid or fix for hold and assesment.

Is that the approved procedure if there is not a company puplished escape route in an engine failure?

Does anybody knows where I can find detailed info about it?
Which ICAO document# is?

Thank you in advance

Generet

WaterMeths
30th Aug 2007, 09:59
Hi Gen....

Dont know about the ICAO definitions, but on the Airbus we don't particularly have to climb to MSA. Our strategy is defined as a climb to acceleration altitude (typically below MSA) then after cleaning up the aircraft we are protected by a turn back to or towards a defined nav aid. That is not the case if terrain is a an issue however with close in obstacles, where a more definate turn will be indicated, based on a height or DME distance and will also expect the aircraft to maintain V2/Take off flap at that point.

Hope that helps a little

generet
1st Sep 2007, 23:59
hmmm! thank you water for your info!

I would like more specific details please!!!anybody can help?

dv8
2nd Sep 2007, 10:03
The formula used for you particular a/c take off performance (we use EAG European Aeronautical Group or Flygprestanda in the past) should incorporate an 'Engine fail turn procedure' it will state the altitude or distance to climb to before a turn to a holding point for further climb (if req.) to MSA

Anghammarad
30th Oct 2007, 12:38
There is no standard ICAO engine failure procedure. There are just the rules laid down in JAR-OPS which specifies obstacle clearance and such.