PDA

View Full Version : Cheddington / Halton

Merritt
29th Aug 2007, 13:08
Im after info / suggestions pls...

I am looking to fly over to Tring (Nr Aylesbury) direction and have considered Cheddington & Halton. Cheddington appears to be unlicensed(?) as it doesn't appear in my Pooleys VFR flight guide or in the AD section of the AIP unless it goes by a different name... Is the airfield still active & if so does anyone have a web site and / or strip information pls?

Alternatively, I am looking at Halton which although being Mil appears at first glance to accept visitors with PPR. I haven't yet called them to confirm but wanted to see what the population thought to either of these locations before looking in to it further...

Any advice appreciated...

Thx

Steve

A V 8
29th Aug 2007, 13:37
I think you'd find it very difficult to get into Halton as it's not blessed with the same welcoming folks you'd get at other Mil A/Ds.

I haven't flown at Halton for a year, so this info may be slightly out of date, but this was the state of play when I was there last:

To cut a long story short, since the RAFGSA moved to Halton from Bicester, very strict conditions have been imposed. The RAF GSA can do unlimited aerotows if it's an Aventure training Flight, if not, limited to 2 aerotows per day - Figure that one out! The locals regularly complain about noise, even with noise abaitment procedures in place. To make matters worse, some of the locals who complain are ex RAF and the guy in charge of operations tends to side with them - he'd by the guy who ultimately gives you PPR. Caution: Hitler youth (Air Cadets) run the airfield and A/G freq, but mainly weekends.

I'm not sure of the restrictions, if any, that have been placed on the flying club or micro light club.

Also, what would you be flying? Only grass strips at Halton and the flying club's C152 and PA28 eat up all of the runway.

Like I said, this was the state of play last time I was there. Check with Halton Flying Club for more accurate info - number should be in the Pooley's.

I'd like to hear from Halton Ppruners if things have become a bit less anal now.

Hope that helps,

A V 8

Merritt
29th Aug 2007, 13:55
Cheers... Not the news I wanted to hear but very useful, thanks.

A/C would be a PA28 btw. Any thoughts on Cheddington?

Steve

DogfighterF22
29th Aug 2007, 15:09
Air Cadets = Hitler Youth??

XL319
29th Aug 2007, 16:43
Cadets??? :bored: I don't think the thread had anything to do with them. RAF glding club and flying club maybe :*

Booker (Wycombe Air Park) is a nice little airfield about 8-10 mile south from Halton which may be worth a visit. Just head for the Bovingdon VOR and south, but approaches from the North must be made via the "golden ball"

Diddley Dee
29th Aug 2007, 17:48
Steve

Whilst I can see what AV8 is driving at I find AV8s view of Halton a little at odds with my own expierience of Halton.

Yes the gliders and air cadets operate out of there and this can put restrictions on circuits depending on what stage they are at in training. Same as any other Military airfield, they have a mission (gliders & air cadets training) and that obviously comes way above accommodating GA aircraft, but as some one who regularly flies out of there we all rub along reasonably well. Give them a call......

DD

PS
The guy who ran ops has moved on.
The noise issue is managed satisfactorily at club & station level.
The grass strips are well maintained plenty long enough & wide too.
Ring for PPR as soon as you can, ops is a one man show & can be difficult to catch.

chevvron
30th Aug 2007, 15:13
It's years since I last flew at Halton (since the Ridgerunners went bust in '97) but in those days, the airfield was mainly funded by Headquarters Air Cadets for 613 VGS (and for a short period 612 VGS), hence the VGS always had first call on use of the airfield, but others could use it when the VGS was not operating. Since then, the RAFGSA centre has moved in from Bicester, so it's busier on weekdays, but as far as I know the following still applies:
When the VGS is in operation, ALL non-VGS traffic whether powered or otherwise MUST use the gliding strip NOT the marked runways.
Ops Man R.D.?

Merritt
30th Aug 2007, 15:18
Thanks guys - sounds a bit more positive!

Still no comments on Cheddington tho - is it still there? (the airfield obviously :hmm:)

Steve

chevvron
30th Aug 2007, 17:29
It was just a small grass strip about 400-500m on the east side of the old airfield when I last flew over, but that was years ago. Never knew if there was a phone number.

Talkdownman
30th Aug 2007, 22:19
Merritt, see PM.
Let me know if you secure PPR via that number, I also need to land there sometime soon.

mikehallam
5th Sep 2007, 23:22
Cheddington is alive & well, with its own band of residents, inc. a Pulsar.
I've not been there but have had invites to fly ins. I think it's not PPR.
If you really can't raise a contact, e-mail me & I'll search my data base etc.

Mike in Sussex.

snapper41
6th Sep 2007, 13:06
I'm a member of Halton microlight club. First off, it's an RAF airfield - ok, it's not a fast jet base, but it is still a Government airfield. Second, it's very busy; you'll get GA, microlights, powered gliders and unpowered gliders (plus winches and aerotows) all operating at the same time, with different circuit rules. Unless you've had in-depth briefings (about joining at the VRPs and waiting your turn), I'd advise to stay away. Cheddington - been over it many times, but never in to it.

PS - check NOTAMs; there are regular flypasts for passing-out parades that close the airfield temporarily.

nigelthepilot
2nd Jul 2009, 22:14
Hi Mike
I've been searching for info' on Cheddington with a view to flying in there but have come up with nothing positive. I know this is a very old thread but I wondered if you ever did have any contact info'.
Nigel (Stokes)

Merritt
3rd Jul 2009, 07:38
I would also be interested in this too please since my requirement to go back to that area has just resurfaced.

I did speak to airfield manager at Halton the other day - he tells me that they actively discourage vistors unless you have a 'business case' for flying in as it is Mil. He also told me that the landing fees are £23ish +VAT!!

Cheers

Steve :ok:

mikehallam
3rd Jul 2009, 10:35
I couldn't reproduce the area map on this forum, but if you e-mail me I can send it to you directly. However it's possibly just as quick to call them and get the current state of affairs. The guy I was in touch with flies a Pulsar out of there.

Mike Hallam.

CHEDDINGTON, BUCKS.
Fly-in and see “The Cheddington Wildlife” in their natural habitat! See them welcoming visitors. Try their courtesy transport to the hangar. Look at the size of their balls (oo er!). Munch their burgers! Have a nice day!

Cheddington is a former WW2 USAF airfield and the strip forms part of the original airfield. A grass runway has been laid, of ample size for all, but across the south western approach are 30 foot high power cables, marked with orange balls. Collision with these would definitely ruin your day, so keep a good look out. Please also note trees at other end.

Cheddington is in an area used for PPL training, the Dunstable gliding club is very active and is under the Luton CIA/SRA. Aircraft traveling north or south tend to pass to the west of Luton controlled airspace, making extra vigilance very necessary.

CHEDDINGTON AIRSTRIP: 510 50’ 10”N 00 40’ 09”W
HEIGHT: 300ft AMSL. RUNWAY: Grass 06/24
RUNWAY LENGTH: Approx 650yards
CIRCUITS: 24 Right Hand, 06 Left Hand
DO NOT OVERFLY ANY NEIGHBOURING VILLAGES AS THE AREA IS VERY NOISE SENSITIVE!
RADIO: NIL (Contact Luton on 129.55).
FUEL: NIL (Available at Cranfield, Wycombe or White Waltham.)
TELEPHONE:Roger Watts 07721391551 mob 01296481402 phone fax Nigel Huxtable on 0525 220242 for further information.
NO ARRIVALS BEFORE 10.00 AM PLEASE.
DON’T FORGET THE POWERLINES AT THE SOUTH WESTERN END OF THE RUNWAY!

Please note that your arrival at Cheddington by any means is totally at your own risk No actions by any person at Cheddington will constitute a contract of any kind. YOUR RISK MEANS JUST THAT.