PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

BristolScout
29th Aug 2007, 11:18
As one who has packed away his lightweight jet flightdeck headset for the last time, I'm wondering which is the best of the bunch for flying piston singles. There is such a bewildering array of products (and spread of prices). Any suggestions of a comfortable, good value for money headset would be appreciated - I don't need to connect my phone or an MP3! Reliability also important, as it's going to get used a lot at my busy school.

Parson
29th Aug 2007, 11:32
If you're going to be doing alot of piston flying I'd suggest an ANR set. They're not cheap, but what price comfort and protection of your hearing. I've flown with 3 or 4 full time instructors in the past year and they all had Bose ANRs, though not good for aeros.

I bought a Dave Clark 13.4 which, at the time, was one of the best passive sets available but I've found that it's not that compatible with many others sets. When I did my IR test I had to bin them as they weren't compatible with the Examiners - had to use one of his old sets which I think he'd worn in Ansons! Not an ideal start to my test.

EladElap
29th Aug 2007, 12:28
Definitly the DC 13.4's. I instruct up to 8 hours a day in them, and find that they fit snuggly, and provide more than ample noise protection. They are reasonably priced and definitly stand up to abuse.

18greens
29th Aug 2007, 12:46
and the 10-13.4x are a good compromise between price and ANR. Very good headset.

Parson, get around the problem by having two sets of 13.4s.

BristolScout
29th Aug 2007, 12:51
Thanks Parson.

I guess the headset I'm looking to replace came from the same era as that examiner's (early Airlite!)

Hufty
29th Aug 2007, 13:05
I just bought some 13.4s too - I am very pleased with them and wear them for up to 6 hours a day without any real discomfort. They are a bit tight though so you might need to modify them.

I have heard poor reports of the ANR Dave Clark headsets. I tried the Bose ANR headset for a sector recently and I didn't like it - it just felt unnatural but I am sure you get used to it.

BristolScout
29th Aug 2007, 14:19
Thanks everybody. It looks like the winner at this point is....DC 13.4! I have to say, I too find the active noise attenuating very strange, though I'm sure people get used to it. I quite like a bit of background noise to reassure me all is well with the engine. On another tack, has anyone used the Stop Gap spectacle cushions that DC advertise as an accessory, and do they make a real difference if one wears glasses?:sad:

Hufty
29th Aug 2007, 15:12
I can't answer your question but I wear either glasses or sunnies with the DC 13.4s pretty much all the time and with the gel ear seals, I find that it is perfectly comfortable without any additional accessories.

The Nr Fairy
29th Aug 2007, 15:27
I wear Stop Gaps and they help enormously with a Peltor headset when I'm wearing Raybans or my normal specs. Even with a Dave Clark and gel seals, if there's a small gap between the arm and my head, it stops the arm getting bent.

A Very Civil Pilot
29th Aug 2007, 17:59
For comfort I've always gone with Peltors. David Clarkes always used to feel too tight, but then perhaps I've got an odd shaped head!

BristolScout
29th Aug 2007, 18:49
VCP.

That's a very interesting point, as I do have rather a large head - probably from banging it against a brick wall outside the crewing office for the past 20 years. :ugh:

athonite
29th Aug 2007, 19:42
The important thing is to buy a matched pair, because diferences in impedance may cause problems.

Make sure you always use one headset, exclusively for yourself, it cuts down on ear, nose and throat infections, possibly headlice, etc..

Also ensure each headset has a volume control, that way you dont have to fight over com1, com 2, & ident volume control.

David Clarks 10-40 upwards (new or second hand (£60)) are fine, Peltor's from my experience fall to bits. Generic DC 10-40, such as the HM 10-40, etc, are just not as good.

ANR are good, but not sure are worth the extra expense, especially when it goes AWOL.

18greens
29th Aug 2007, 20:32
The benefits of ANR are very insidious. If you wear them for 10 seconds they aren't that impressive. If you wear them for 6 hours the lack of headaches and buzzing ears become apparent. If you forget to charge the batteries on the DCs you get really annoyed.

As for the liking to hear the noise, I can assure you you can still hear all of the rumbles bumps and bangs, not even the mighty bose hides all sound.

You just have to decide whether you want to pay the extra £200 now for ANR or £200+ for hearing aids in 10 years time.

DFC
29th Aug 2007, 21:38
Just one word of caution;

If you intend to do microlight instruction (as the thred you started below would suggest) then you would be well advised to check what headset connectors are used in the aircraft you will fly. Many microlights use Lynx and similar systems which have special headsets and connectors.

Regards,

DFC

funfly
31st Aug 2007, 22:43
I, being a sucker wasting money, bought Bose
Well they are very comfy but.....
Great as long as both sets are Bose
Great as long as the aircraft system will support them
When I go to a new aircraft I take my DC's as I know these will always be compatible.

wheatools
2nd Sep 2007, 13:36
Has anyone have any opinions on the DC x11 ANR headset? I'm just about to upgrade my old one and thinking this one looked ok? Bose ones pretty costly and worried about compatibility issues as I'm an instructor and all my students have different headsets. Any problems with compatability with other headsets? Thanks

Prospin
3rd Sep 2007, 08:59
I'm a full time Instructor using the X11's since March & all in all - they're a good set and the batteries last approx. 30 hrs. Beware, they are very comfortable!
As mentioned on an earlier post, ANR headsets come into their own if you're wearing them day in, day out all day long! Can't believe I didn't give my ears a rest like this years ago!!!

Initially I feared for the robustness of the headset but after 5-6 months of Instructor abuse, they're still in perfect condition.

The only "issue" I have is that the headphone cord could've been a little bit longer as the battery box does tend get in the way now & again!

As for compatibility? So far so good with me. I've not had any issues yet. Peltors, avcomms, several unknown brands and even older DC's (aka 10.40's) seems to work.

I got mine from here (http://www.skygeek.com) in the States. Saved myself £100 & they were here with me in the UK within a week!!

Hope this helps Wheatools!

Spin