PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a new FI(H) in UK - your views

anvilman
29th Aug 2007, 02:31
Hi all

I am currently in Aus, but planning to relocate (back) to the UK early next year. By then I should have approx
- Australian CPL(H), with
- 250 hrs TT, 100 PIC, all on R22/R44
- Also have JAA PPL(A) with 120 hrs, lapsed, but that is by the by.

This should allow me to obtain a JAA CPL(H), subject to JAA exams etc, and then start an FI(H) course. I really *want* to instruct, not just build hours, and enjoy teaching theory etc. I can see a long term future doing it, either full or part time.

Would welcome any comments, views, similar experiences on any of the following:

- current/projected general level of opportunies, or not, for ~300 hr first time heli instructors (south or west England)?

- what are peoples views on age when starting out as an instructor (I will be 37 next year)?

- is there a preference for full or part time instructors? I sense there are many of you doing the part time route?

- are there large variations in work between summer and winter? (in Sydney, the demand is somewhat more even throughout the year)

- is it better to do more charter work before doing FIC, to give yourself more hours, or is it better just to get on with it and do the FIC as soon as you are able?

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Whirlybird
29th Aug 2007, 08:09
I'm not an expert, but I am an instructor, so here goes...

At the moment, the south of England and Southern Ireland seem to have a shortage of rotary FIs....judging by the ads for instructors in Helidata, a free helicopter newsletter that goes to everyone in the industry. Everywhere else it varies.

Age doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I don't put mine on my CV, and I've never been asked. And I'm considerably older than you.

Full or part time? Hard to say. Depends on the school. Best if you can be totally flexible and willing to do either. Or split yourself between two schools, as I did last year.

Winter can be awful. If you have regular students, it's not too bad, but then there is the unpredictable weather and short days. But many schools depend to a large extent on trial lessons, and they can almost dry up, as people decide to wait for summer and supposedly better weather. You will probably need at least a part time second string to your bow over winter, or to fly like mad all summer if you can to tide you over the lean spells.

If you want to be an instructor, forget about getting more hours; no-one cares. Do the FI course ASAP, then try to manage to get unrestricted...you'll need 100 instructing hours and to have supervised 25 solo exercises (not flights)...details in LASORS. It's much easier to get jobs as an unrestricted FI, as smaller schools often only have one or two instructors. And it can be very hard to get those solo sign-offs, expecially if you're part time...I'm nearly there after four years, but that's fairly extreme!

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Whirlybird
30th Aug 2007, 17:06
You might get more replies if you post this on Rotorheads - they tend to be fixed-wing orientated here. :(

anvilman
31st Aug 2007, 02:57
Thanks for your replies Whirlybird. Yes, will move to Rotorheads now.

Cheers