PDA

View Full Version : Silk Air Salary

iyi inisler
29th Aug 2007, 01:42
Hello there!!!
Is it True that may we expect about 9.000 USD wet in your Pocket at the end of the Month as a Captain on A320?
That`s enough to live in Singapore without Kids only wife?
Thanks ......good flights.....!!!!!

training wheels
29th Aug 2007, 06:45
Hello there!!!
Is it True that may we expect about 9.000 USD wet in your Pocket at the end of the Month as a Captain on A320?
Thanks ......good flights.....!!!!!
Quoted from the Silk Air website (http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=213&szReturnToSearch=1&szWordsToHighlight=);
REMUNERATION & BENEFITS
ˇ Total gross remuneration (before tax) will be in the range of S$150,000 per annum for Captains excluding Group profit sharing bonus
That'll depend on whether you have a high or low maintenance wife! ;)

CubaLibre
30th Aug 2007, 15:19
Look at 13000 SGD p.m.

If you want to live in a condo, well the rents are mad, $3500 and up for a 2 bedroom place.

Wait for the new C.A. to be signed which should be in a month or six.

iyi inisler
31st Aug 2007, 02:10
Cuba Libre thanks for your Reply, but What does it mean new C.A?
But is little money for a Captain position on A 320 ,9.000 USD Month, and no House Allowance and school Allowance as well, and is there any Profident Found or end of Benefits....thanks Again Cuba Libre ......Goog Flight

Dani
31st Aug 2007, 03:35
There are numerous posts about Singapore's airline here on the net. Please check also under Jet Star and Tiger for general information.

The mentioned salary numbers are correct, but there used to be always some "idle" time where you got less than they promised, since the salary consists of a fix and a variable (by hour) part. At the moment this danger isn't so big because there is a bit of understaffing.

It's also correct that cost of living has gone up, but it's still way cheaper than all other SE Asia's metropolis'. Please check sites like www.singaporeexpats.com for actual prices. It has become difficult, but you still get reasonable condos close to the airport, if you are willing to go to Pasir Ris, Simei and Tampines. There are very nice condos, but you just live far away from the city center. If you don't care about this, it's perfect, 5 min to the airport, all's there, even the beach.

Dani

CubaLibre
31st Aug 2007, 13:59
C.A. = Contract Agreement.

Once you get Permanent Residence, you'll get CPF, around 400 dollars from the company, it seems a bit low, but I haven't looked at it in a while. Nothing else. All contracts are on local terms. Working on 13000 is a good ball park figure, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

As Dani pointed out, you can get decent place to live if you're prepared to look outside the East Coast, I was just giving a general response. Check the other operators you'll probably find a better package.

Good Luck.

ltjng
3rd Sep 2007, 09:02
Any ideas about FO's salary package? or are there any pay scale differences between expatriates and locals?

Shaman
7th Sep 2007, 09:35
Does anyone with Silkair think that MI might be interested in a 50% or 75% Captain?

For a 100% pilot, how many days off a month and how many night flights would a pilot do?

Thanks.

CubaLibre
7th Sep 2007, 15:50
are there any pay scale differences between expatriates and locals?

Only one pay scale for all nationalities. As to the pay rate of the FO's im not sure.

Shaman, a few have asked about 50-75% Commands, the reply is "we dont do that" Its Singapore, you are expected to work ALL of the time.

As it stands you are entitled to get 8-9 days off a month, Night flights, vary but it can be as many as 1 a week, though more usually its 1 every 2 weeks. You'd be unlucky to get more than 3 Night flights in a Month, as they have to give you more days off for them.

iyi inisler
8th Sep 2007, 01:18
Is there any Info regarding a Salary increase until the end of this year?

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 08:37
CubaLibre,
Thanks very much for the reply - it was very helpful.

You mentioned an entitlement to 8 to 9 days off per month. Would you care to hazard a guess as to how many days off one gets in practice?

CubaLibre
10th Sep 2007, 13:54
Shaman, well thats it, 8-9 days rostered off. I just looked back through my log book, the only time I had extra days off I was sick or on leave (28 days a year).
They find ways to fill up the time, standby etc, which is btw, generally from
6 a.m. till 11 p.m. <<<< no typo there.
The new contract is "still" under negotiation, rumours only, I wont speculate till I see it in black and white.

Shaman
10th Sep 2007, 13:56
CubaLibre,

Thanks again - my questions answered!!

TheColonel
7th Oct 2007, 10:01
On the topic of Silkair,

Ive heard from a capt at Silkair, that after 3 yrs of service as an A320 Capt, he will be given the opportunity to move onto the 777 in SQ as Capt... anyone know if theres any truth in this?

Cheers

blurrrsotong
7th Oct 2007, 12:11
Ya, absolutely. That's the main USP of SilkAir - off to the big ones (777/345/330 &, maybe, 380) as soon as you finish your time on the sleek & snazzy A320s - which isn't a bad deal in itself, at all! Grate place to fly!!!

iyi inisler
7th Oct 2007, 12:19
Hello there .....
But still Captain taking home 13000 USG ( Singapore Dollar) ?

Thanks Again...

Aussie
8th Oct 2007, 06:54
Does that mean straight to SQ on the Heavies as Capt??? No hrs on type????

Interesting..

RnR
8th Oct 2007, 07:37
it's not 3 years but actually minimum 4,
and then depends on many things like if needed by sia,
how many guys ahead of ya.. an can mi release ya..
normally 6-7 years,...
hope this helps...:rolleyes:

CubaLibre
8th Oct 2007, 13:56
RnR has it right

Myass
13th Dec 2007, 15:50
Hi guys...

Is the new package out yet for Silkair or is it still 150,000 SGD per year for Captain?

Anyone currently flying there can give me an update?

Thanks...

ltjng
15th Dec 2007, 05:13
I was informed that their FOs salary is slightly increased. Not sure for Captains, but I assume all package is upgraded a bit recently.

RnR
15th Dec 2007, 08:01
with the new CA basic was increased but package pretty much the same.

an with singapore getting more an more expensive by the day.

housing is getting to be a huge issue, rents in the east coast area have doubled.

:hmm:

ltjng
15th Dec 2007, 08:40
RnR is right, housing and living expenses do worry me a bit to move over there....with this current FO package!!

bila
15th Dec 2007, 20:19
Please share if anyone has new info.

Thank you

mabele
3rd Apr 2008, 15:42
It can be very tricky with all the formulas involved, but roughly, flying around 70hrs will pay out around SGD$17000 all inclusive. 90hrs SGD$19000+. Which is what everyone is doing at the moment.

Last year pre tax earnings for a capt were @ SGD$240000 ( 900+ Hrs). Tax is around 20%.

Things are getting a lot costlier, inflation is on the up, rents have stabilized though.

Its not a bad place to be though.Good place to live, great routes.

VMMC34
4th Apr 2008, 06:07
Hi Mabele,

Can you give some details of Silkair payscale? On their web page they are looking for pilots, however they mention 150K Sing $ per year before tax for Captain.

You said a Captain last year got 240K, just wondering what am I missing here.

By the way does SILK AIR have any overnight stops?

One last question, does everyone get a shot at SQ 4 years into their contract? In average how many guys make it?

Thanks a lot...

CubaLibre
4th Apr 2008, 09:26
240k is because everyone is working 100 hours per month, also includes the bonus.

When you reach 1000 hours for the 365, you are then assigned leave, which naturally is deducted from your 30 days.

No nightstops, but the feeling is thats going to change.

SQ in 4 years, provided Silk Air can release you, work on 5-6 years. To my knowledge no one has been rejected.

7e7100
4th Apr 2008, 14:26
Hi there,

Can anyone give a rough idea of what the revised CA is for FOs? What would be the expected take home after CPF per month.

Is the profit sharing scheme the same as SIA mainline?

Cheers.

mabele
4th Apr 2008, 17:10
vmmc34, CubaLibre has summed it up fairly nicely. It also includes the 13th month salary.

Basic for Capt is SGD $11000, FO $7000 ( I think).

Last year the bonus was 6 Months.

Leave is bad at the moment cause they are tight for pilots. I gather there is around 14 (cat/fo) or so in the pipeline about to start.

Profit sharing is now based on a split between SQ and Silk. 60/40. Not really sure how well this will turn out.

Iver
4th Apr 2008, 18:51
Cubalibre mention Silkair pilots can go to SQ if they want 5-6 years after start. What about Sing Cargo? Do some Silkair pilots not want to go to SQ or Sing Cargo and want to stay at Silkair? If go to SQ, do they go mainly into Airbus 340 given time on Silkair A320?

mabele
5th Apr 2008, 10:28
Once again it all depends on whether Silk can release the pilots and where SQ needs them.

Its such a cyclical problem. Sometimes SQ may have to many Command trainees or as just recently with the 380 screw up they had people coming off the 747 with no where to go. Only now is that back log of too many command trainees and extra captains clearing.

Silk now doesn't have enough pilots. They are currently dangerously understaffed at both the Capt and FO level. So it will be hard for them to release anyone in the near future.

When you have done your time (4 years) you are then allowed to apply to SQ. Only if both companies agree. If that is all in order you will be called to an interview.

The type is purely up to them, although you can tell them your preference.

Last few years everyone went on the 340, this year eveyrone has been put on the 777.

Two guys went to cargo, but this was because they desperately need cargo pilots and more importantly they were given expat packages.

Silk only offers national terms and you are then stuck with that for your time either in Silk or SQ.

You can happily stay on at Silk if you like.

ltjng
6th Apr 2008, 10:09
Mabele, very good information. Thank you!!!

Any details about the training bond for FO? Will be deducted from the salary right?

Silkair told me the basic + allowances per month may reach SGD 9000.... what is the average take home pay after taxes and the bond?

I will be there next month and wanna know if I can survive with such money in pocket.

Iver
8th Apr 2008, 13:54
Mabele,

Excellent informations. You are very helpful. A few more questions for you. Do many Silkair pilots stay on with Silkair and pass up SQ or Sing Cargo slots? If so, what about Silkair would make one want to stay? Is the route structure agreeable and interesting? What are benefits to staying at Silkair?

Also, where do Silkair hire new FOs from? Cadet program or from other airlines in the region? Do you need to be a local to get a job with Silkair or do they also hire Expats for junior FO seats? I visited Singapore a few years back and really like the area.

CubaLibre
8th Apr 2008, 15:06
Iver,

No one stays in Silk unless they're management pilots, SQ cargo is no longer offering expat positions to Silk Pilots, only local terms.

Route structure is pretty interesting though they have a high tech roster system which seems to make sure you know a particular airport fairly well each month. So while there is variety it is not always reflected on the roster.

Benefits of Silk Air, people are nice, most time you are at home at night.

Yes they take foreign FO's of different experience levels.

mabele
9th Apr 2008, 06:28
Im sorry Im couldn't say exactly how much an FO gets but it must be around SGD $12-13000 on a good month, ie 90+hrs.

If you become a permanent resident of Singapore then you and the company will have to contribute to a CPF fund which is a savings fund of sorts. This can be around SGD $1000 month for you and around $800 from the company. It is of course free money in a sense,

Not everyone becomes a PR though.

With a family of 4 and a car you probably cant spend less than $10000/month. that is all up including groceries etc.

Silk Air has brilliant routes, probably some of the best flying of this type anywhere in the world. It can as Cubalibre said get slightly tedious as some sectors are operated more than others.

Silk would suit someone who really doesn't care for all the long haul crap and more especially if one still enjoys the dying art of actually flying!

Its nice to be at home every night, although that may be changing?
:suspect:

Pilots are from all over the globe.

Flying-Corporal
23rd Apr 2008, 03:43
How long is the upgrade for someone who signs up for the FO position? Can you one be hired for a Capt position w/out time in the A320 a/c?

mabele
23rd Apr 2008, 04:39
For a direct entry F/O, that is someone with over 1500hrs ( I think) time in a jet aircraft or something over 60t. Really not sure at all on those numbers, check the web site? It will be 3 years. two and a half if your lucky.

They do indeed take Captains that are not type rated, although you do have to have a certain number of hours.

meekg
29th May 2008, 13:13
Anyone having reliable figures, what's the actual avarage monthly salary, after taxes for an F/O?
I read 12-13000SGD for a good month... it that correct? Is it after taxes?
What about a bad month? (we all have to cope with those too).

Also... how long would it take at the moment to get command upgrade for a F/O with approx 3000hrs total of which 2800 on A320?

I hope any insider can provide good info since we're seriously considering applying.

Thanks

CubaLibre
30th May 2008, 01:44
FO's base pay 7k + $18 ph < 69 hrs, $90 ph > 69

Tax, 10% approx, generally you can pay at the years end. (March).

FO to command, minimum 2.5 yrs, generally 3 yrs. Pass your base checks, dont upset people, you'll do it in 3 yrs.

Dont think you can talk management into shorter time to command, many have tried (with better credentials) and all have failed.

Good Luck

Alvinw82
19th Jul 2008, 17:51
Hi guys dont mind me asking, recently i have been offered to be a cadet pilot in Sia Cargo, any experienced guys care to share what are the chances of transfering to Sia main fleet for a cargo FO ?

CargoBoy
19th Jul 2008, 18:30
Alvin,

You can consider your chance to go mainfleet from SIA Cargo as almost ZERO. If you cannot bare the thought of flying freighters, best to reject the offer. But likelyhood you will not be offerered anything else coz you will be blacklisted as "not interested", "not passionate", "too picky" ..watever.

Alvinw82
20th Jul 2008, 15:11
Thanks for the reply mate, i just grateful for watever i am given..i realise that there are so many people who do not get this opportunity for a career in aviation , what more the trainning is paid for..I will just make the best with what i am given. : )

pt19
22nd Jul 2008, 17:04
somebody know about Captain interview at Silkair?? WHat they use to ask? how many days are the interview??

CubaLibre
14th Aug 2008, 10:12
Really not much to update, there has been no major changes in the operation recently.

Silkair have taken on several direct entry Capts and FO's, plus checking out a number of local FO's. This has taken the pressure off the FO's in particular and the Capts are down to about 85~95 hours amonth.

Rents are reported to have eased, though I dont know if this is true, but there is a large amount of accomodation coming on line to support this supposition.

The new boss has taken things well in hand, and the rosters are pretty steady. A few things (minor compared to the past) need sorting, but its not a bad spot.

Thats al I can tell you sorry.

che ci dō che ci dō!
16th Aug 2008, 14:41
Hi everybody,

can any of you tell me what are the current entry requirements for an A320 rated DEC? I checked the Silkar web page but I couldn't find any careers section, so no idea about how many hours they want and about the way to apply.

Thanks!

JetRacer
17th Aug 2008, 01:02
che ci dō che ci dō! try:

SilkAir : where the world unwinds (http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/default.cfm?szCareerPortalID=154&szUniqueCareerPortalID=e79e5e69-4174-4cdd-a36c-0972b4d18544)

or

http://http://singaporeair.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/job_profile.cfm?szOrderID=213

The heading is under 'Work with Us', not 'Careers'.

Hope this helps.

che ci dō che ci dō!
17th Aug 2008, 09:12
..thanks very much!

iyi inisler
19th Aug 2008, 23:51
Hello Cuba Libre..

Can you get as Captain 13.000 USD end of the month flying abou 85 - 90 HRS.Do they pay Home base Ticket once Year?Again Thanks and sorry to disturb you....Good fligths.

CubaLibre
20th Aug 2008, 06:33
90 hours = 16 000 SINGAPORE Dollars approx.
85 hours = 15 000 SINGAPORE Dollars approx.

Yes to home base travel once a year. But you pay the tax.

Good Luck

DrahNa
1st Sep 2008, 15:38
Anybody have any idea on what SilkAir considers competitive for an FO position? I don't meet their minimun requirements yet but just wondering how much they really want to see as flight experience.

Thanks

Tacolegend
1st Sep 2008, 17:17
They won't accept anything outside the minimum. I was told that directly.

DrahNa
2nd Sep 2008, 14:40
Thanks.... Time to fly more....!:ok:

JetRacer
17th Sep 2008, 04:40
As the website says:

CAPTAINS

1. Current ICAO ATPL

2. Total Experience: 5000 hours

ˇ With rating:
1500 jet hours airline PIC on a/c heavier than 20000kg (MTOW) of which minimum 500 hours must be on A320 family a/c.
ˇ Without rating:
3000 jet hours airline PIC on a/c heavier than 20000kg (MTOW)

My question is: without the rating, is it 3000 hours PIC jet on A/C over 20000kg OR 3000 hours jet in an airline environment and also some command time?

I suspect the first, but seems so much more experience required than if already endorsed?

Thanks for your help!

Also, does Silk Air pay an Accomodation allowance, or is it all on local terms now-a-days?

CubaLibre
18th Sep 2008, 08:05
JetRacer,

The first, and no allowances, all local terms.