PDA

View Full Version : PCAS, any good ?

easy307
28th Aug 2007, 20:48
Thinking of buying the Zaon XRX PCAS.

Does anyone have any recent experience using one?

There was a thread about 6 months ago where some people bought one.

How did you get on ?

I'm interested in 'does it work?' not 'should I use PCAS'.

Thanks all.

bonniejack
28th Aug 2007, 21:25
Reiview in current Loop, readable on line. But quick answer yes it seems to work well providing good awareness of other aircraft using transponders.

easy307
28th Aug 2007, 22:11
Can't seem to find that article on the Loop website.

Any link ?

Thanks.

BRL
28th Aug 2007, 22:16
Hope these help,

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=236184

and

this..... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221448)

bonniejack
29th Aug 2007, 07:10
easy 307 link here http://www.loop.aero/ Click on the changing pictures center top of page then register. Article is on P18. Loop is free and quite a good monthly so well worth registering. I don't care for the electronic version - too much zooming and scrolling and you can't read it in the bath but handy sometimes.

High Wing Drifter
29th Aug 2007, 07:40
My wife noticed the XRX article in LOOP this month. I mentioned that I wanted a 496 and she denied the request unless I also bought the XRX! It does look like an excellent piece of kit, especially with the 496 integration. An additional Gorilla is too much for me so I sweet talked my way into a 496 anyway. But I suppose at least the option is there and I'll continue to ponder it.

Fuji Abound
29th Aug 2007, 08:05
I wouldnt fly without a PCAS or TCAS.

One aircraft I fly has TCAS, otherwise I always use my portable PCAS.

The decision came after a very close call and a realisation of how poorly see and avoid works, particularly in faster aircraft or in poor conditions.

The current PCAS system works very well.

After some thought I use the non directional unit.

The display is very clear and bright but more importantly the warning beep is clearly audible without the headset connection (although with it it is even better).

On the issue of the headset connection be aware that there are some older units still on sale which do not come with the headset connection. These units are out of date and you would be well advised not to buy one. Moreover they do not have the connector on the unit so even if you buy an adapter it si back to the factory for a mod.

Essentially (as probably explained in the afore article which I have not read) the unit "forms" a protective bubble around the aircraft of up to 5 miles and 5,000 feet.

At this setting (which I use) if traffic is within 1 mile and a 1000 feet you receive an audible warning which becomes more pronounced within 1 mile and 700 feet.

Personally I never look at the display. If I receive a warning it is then a quick check of the display to see whether the aircraft is above or below and whether the seperation is increasing or decreasing (the trend is displayed). I will adjust my height if the aircraft is a threat.

I have found it works very well. I have had a number of aircraft that I have only seen after PCAS and it is interesting within a controlled enviroment the way it mirrors TA (as you would expect).

One of the reasons for selecting the smaller unit is that it is totally self contained and battery life is good enough for the longest flight without a change. It is therefore easy to move between aircraft.

The directional unit requires an external power supply. It is possible to conenct to a battery if the ship does not have a lighter adapter and Zaon sell their own purpose made unit but that reduces portability (and perhaps the tendency not to bother to set up the unit).

On the other hand I have seen the system connected to a 496. The sytem so set up is impressive. If I were going to fix the unit permanently I would probably go for the directional unit.

Of course it is really important to understand the limitations. The other aircraft must be transponding so it will not see gliders for example. In CAS I have found it would not react quickly enough to deal with really fast moving traffic. It has limitations in a busy circuit because of the obvious proximity and volume of other traffic. It is really important to follow the instructions in the manual if you need to reset the unit or change the batteries in flight as there is an obvious gotcha. Finally, and needless to say, it is important to understand the reaction time you have after you receive an alert if the other aircraft is on a collision course - you need to do something about it immediately.

drauk
29th Aug 2007, 09:20
I have had a Zaon XRX PCAS for about 25 hours now. It's very good and the previous complaints I'd heard about it showing traffic which doesn't exist don't seem to be accurate. Height and position are generally pretty accurate - range is less so, particularly when things get close by. It does need external power, so I've had a power cable put in that comes out the top of the dash. Hooking it up to the 496 is a bit of a gimmick really; nice but definitely not necessary.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I wouldn't fly without it - there are too many non-transponding aircraft around for that to make any sense. But yes, it works well.

easy307
29th Aug 2007, 15:19
Thanks Bonniejack, the loop article sold me. And I already own a 496,

didn't realise they would talk to each other.

Presumably the connecting wire between Zaon and Garmin 496 enables

them both to be powered by using the one cigarrette lighter socket?

Good to hear everyone so far has been positive.

High Wing Drifter
3rd Sep 2007, 18:05
I'm pretty certain I'll be purchasing the MRX soon, but before I do, I wonder if anybody has any views on how practical is it to use with several aircraft? I have two group and one club that I fly regularly (or as regularly as possible!) so I can't screw or glue any fixtures.

Fuji Abound
3rd Sep 2007, 20:20
HWD

You have to read the posts. This was concern I had, and I have commented on this aspect in my last post. :).

In short the baby PCAS is really easy to move between aircraft with its totally self contained batteries and good battery life (over five hours), and sticky pad to fix it somewhere convenient. It is also really tiny.

The larger unit requires external power. That means if the aircraft does not have a cigarette lighter socket you have to rig up an alternative power source. Zaon sell an external battery for the purpose and you could rig your own with a bit of inginuity.

High Wing Drifter
3rd Sep 2007, 22:30
Thanks Fuji, I did read that but somehow assumed you were talking about your own aircraft for which the appropriate fixtures would not be an issue.:ok:

The Grim EPR
4th Sep 2007, 23:00
I have recently bought a Zaon XRX and ran into the problem of powering it up in club aircraft without a cigarette lighter socket.

I bought a L83BL Laptop Rechargable Battery from Maplin. It's £64.99 inc free delivery. It has two DC power outlets (one 19V and one 12V) and a USB power outlet (5V). It comes with a lead with loads of interchangable DC power tips (sadly none of which fit the XRX). I chopped the cable in half and put a cigarette lighter female socket on each of the bare ends.

You then plug the XRX into the 19V outlet (it runs 12V to 40V). This leaves the 12V outlet for a Garmin GPS or whatever and the USB outlet (phone / Ipod ?)

The unit itself weighs just under a 1KG and is around the same size as an A4 pad of paper. You can stick it in the side pocket or (as I have) use sticky velcro to mount it on the glareshield.

The battery seems to last in excess of 6 hours from a full charge with just the XRX running from it.

Specifications:
Battery capacity:4700mAh
Dimensions:19 x 210 x 290mm approx A4 size
High power port:19-21V (6A)
Medium power port:12V
USB power port:5V
Weight:1kg approx