PDA

View Full Version : When do you select ILS inbound course?

TangoAir
27th Aug 2007, 18:05
Hi,
On an 737-500, 2 IRS, no GPS update. You must make an ILS approach over-flying a VOR station over the airport, maintaining radial 274 for the next 10 miles, turn right to intercept the ILS on inbound course 109.
Question: which of the following procedures would you use?
1) On PF side you select the ILS and inbound course (109) on the initial app preparation (probably before starting descent), selecting de VOR on the PM side and using de RMI to check proper initial inbound to the VOR and outbound radial.
2) You use VOR on de PF side, course selector 274 and reaching 10 miles outbound, sw to ILS and select 109 on the course selector?

db16
27th Aug 2007, 18:10
Course counter to 109 of course!! As soon as base turn is complete for PF and ensure PNF does it too - well before loc alive.:) db16

TangoAir
27th Aug 2007, 18:48
Ok, you mean option 1. You select ILS and inbound course on base turn NOT long before, on the initial approach preparation.
Reason for my asking is that if you forget to set ILS course on the course selector you may not capture the ILS. For than reason the second choice could be better .

danishdynamite
27th Aug 2007, 19:15
Set up option number 1.
When you fly outbound select VOR/LOC and AP on PM side and when you turn inbound with HDG select you change to AP on PF side and arm APP mode.
Retune PM NAV and course selector for ILS.

TangoAir
27th Aug 2007, 19:23
Because with few DME around and no GPS update you may not be sure about your position. That's the reason to check with some radioelectric info your correct over-flying of the VOR and your outbound radial.

747dieseldude
27th Aug 2007, 19:33
option 2:

1. set the vor with the outbound radial to follow, for both PF and PM.

2. about 2 nm before the end of the outbound leg, set the PF to LOC course + frequency, and use the PM dme to locate the point to turn inbound.

3. when in base turn, the PM sets LOC course

4. When LOC alive, PM sets LOC frequency. If no DME on the ILS, PM sets LOC freq only after GS alive.

good luck!

TangoAir
27th Aug 2007, 23:58
Thanks to all of you!!!

mustafagander
28th Aug 2007, 00:38
As I see it, it is always the safest option to have the nav aid on which you are navigating displayed on the PF side. In this case, about 6 dme outbound I would select HDG then tune the ILS and use PNF display (still VOR/DME) to determine base turn point. After commencing the turn, have PNF tune ILS, then set up as normal to intercept and track the ILS.

I suppose it would be a good idea to see what your company SOP says!! :ok:

TangoAir
28th Aug 2007, 01:56
Our SOP's request you to use PF VOR than switch to ILS and change the selector course on base turn.

But if you forget to change the selector course the A/P or F/D will not intercept de localizer. On older models like the 737-200 a wrong selector course was no problem to intercept the localizer.

For that reason I believe it could be better to set ILS frequency and final course at a more relaxed moment (during app briefing) and make a radioelectric x-check with the RMI.

galaxy flyer
28th Aug 2007, 03:03
Nav-to-Nav transfer :ok::)