PDA

View Full Version : excuse me but.

radicalrabit
25th Aug 2007, 23:20
If I buy a Cheyenne III can I get pilots to fly it as volunteers for a project/charity?

Does a charity have to have an aoc and operate as a commercial carrier? any help with setting this up would be appreciated.

ahramin
26th Aug 2007, 17:54
Depends on where you are. Europe? North America?

A Very Civil Pilot
27th Aug 2007, 18:15
Try looking at The CAA (here) (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=50&pageid=7954)

An AOC is a document that an organisation or individual is required to hold prior to operating public transport (Commercial Air Transport) flights. For operators in the United Kingdom, it is issued by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). If the passenger is asked to contribute in any way towards the cost of the flight, “valuable consideration”, the flight is likely to be for the purposes of public transport, and the operator of the flight is legally required to hold such an AOC. It is important to note that the legal term, “valuable consideration”, can include methods of payment other than money, e.g. free advertising or payment in kind.

There are some exceptions to this requirement. An AOC is not required for:

* Some flights conducted to raise money for charities;

* Some flights where the costs are shared between the pilot and up to three passengers;

* Some flights where the passengers are joint owners of the aircraft.

radicalrabit
27th Aug 2007, 22:55
Manchester..(the real one in the U.K.)
Still trying to find out if we can use volunter pilots or those needing to build hours to crew this for us while we get our own staff trained up.

Mark 1
28th Aug 2007, 13:04
Whether the pilots are volunteers or salaried doesn't really matter, so long as they have a licence and rating appropriate to the type of aircraft and type of operation.
AOCs are just for public transport operations.
Most aerial work would require a CPL and probably an IR too.

The MAF are probably one of the largest charity based aircraft operators, so it may be worth chatting with them.

I've heard of quite large operators operating jets with what amounts to "volunteer" air crew, or even paying for the privilege.

tncmdream
2nd Sep 2007, 10:50
I know some place around oxford, let me find it and PM you

Seat1APlease
2nd Sep 2007, 18:57
As others have suggested it isn't so much the question of whether you're a charity or not but what you are doing with the aircraft.

If you are using it for advertising purposes then one set of rules would apply. If you are using it carrying your own staff then different rules apply, and if you are carrying fare paying passengers or freight then you need commercial rated pilots. It's difficult to answer your question without more information.