PDA

View Full Version : ACAS vs TCAS

gearpins
24th Aug 2007, 23:09
Hello everyone,
I have used TCAS and am familiar with its functions however no clue about ACAS. can anyone help me? how is it different

LeadSled
25th Aug 2007, 01:57
Gearpins,
One and the same, very approximately, TCAS started life as "Terminal-----", Became "Traffic ------" in some description, now generic ICAO "Airborne -----"
Tootle pip!!

Dani
25th Aug 2007, 04:01
TCAS is rather the US name for it while ACAS came from EASA (i.e. JAA).

Since the American where first (well, they mostly are...), sometimes TCAS is also referred to TCAS I and II. ACAS is mostly considered TCAS II.

hth,
Dani

liftman
25th Aug 2007, 12:02
...for training purposes I need some downlodable clip of TCAS functions and symbol...

Any Help?

Tks

EMIT
26th Aug 2007, 19:26
Check out this link to Eurocontrol.
On the bottom of the page you will find links to 9 very well written bulletins, from daily practice in European airspace.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/standard_page/CAS_ACAS_SAFETY.html#Bulletins

If above link fails, because it right away delves too deep, then try the one below. On the bottom of that page you will find a link to the bulletins (the link given above).

http://www.eurocontrol.int/msa/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html

If this link fails as well, try simply eurocontrol.int and search for the subject "msa", that should take you to the subsite.

Good luck.

liftman
28th Aug 2007, 07:41
..Tks, useful link.....
But I am looking for training videos, any idea where?
Cheers

Too Few Stripes
28th Aug 2007, 11:38
my understanding is that TCAS is a brand name for the generic ACAS (much like Hoover is for vacuum cleaner). When ACAS first appeared on the scene the only real contender was TCAS and hence the name has stuck.

I have no references for this, it's purely what I've been told over the years.

TFS ;)

Checkboard
28th Aug 2007, 23:01
ACAS is the acronym for the standard set by the authority.

TCAS is the acronym for the Rocwell/Collins system (and currently the only one?) that meets that standard.

A Very Civil Pilot
29th Aug 2007, 06:41
That makes things easier to understand! When we get a 'TCAS fail' on the EFIS (because that is the brand name used by Rockwell), there is no mention of it in the MEL, only ACAS (which is the generic name for the system).

212man
29th Aug 2007, 08:42
It's analagous to TAWS and EGPWS (or vaccum cleaner and Hoover!)