PDA

View Full Version : £2 to Check-in?

rubik101
24th Aug 2007, 12:28
Did I hear correctly as I drove home today? Ryanair have found yet another 'revenue stream' by charging passengers £2 to check in.
Brilliant!
What next I wonder?
£1 to use the steps?
£1 to use the toilet?
£1 to use a sick bag?
£2 non refundable deposit on your cup?
£10 to have your bag off-loaded at the destination?
£20 to have it off loaded at the correct destination...ooops, that's BA.
Aren't bean counters a wonderful breed?
Scavengair would be more appropriate!

jack_essex
24th Aug 2007, 14:29
Good for all those passengers with hand luggage only as they now get free online check in.

slim_slag
24th Aug 2007, 16:13
The £2 gets you priority boarding too, but really it's not worth it. Have had conflicting messages when checking in as to what you get for your money.

And you can do it all for less than £2. Here is extract of internet bank statement from our hols account. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m258/slim_slag/proon/Ryanair.jpg

Yep, 4p. Round trips for two, total cost, 4p.

Beancounters, don't you just love them :)

boogie-nicey
24th Aug 2007, 16:19
wow 4 digit bank balance ( I remember those days ..... before I got married :p)

slim_slag
24th Aug 2007, 16:21
It was the mrs who put the cash in :ok:

PAXboy
24th Aug 2007, 19:10
This thread is running in R&N, so I expect the two will be merged shortly. As with previous changes by RyanAir to the charging scheme: Congratulations. They have moved ahead in the way to get money out of the pax and to keep making changes. For, if you keep making changes, it becomes more difficult for your competition to see what you are doing or going to do now.

daedalus
25th Aug 2007, 20:55
If you check in on line with only cabin baggage, then you get priority boarding, according to the paperwork "on the aircraft", BUT beware, if a bus takes you to the aircraft, youll get priority boarding on the bus. Once the bus doors open next to the a/c, its every man for himself!

:uhoh:

slim_slag
26th Aug 2007, 07:15
I've seen priority boarders given their own bus. I'd rather put the £2 towards a beer. I appreciate being given the choice.

CARR30
26th Aug 2007, 08:42
This would be a more interesting story if EZ had also at the same time introduced a £2 check-in charge and MOL was subsequently facing extradition to the US and 20 years in jail on price fixing charges.
In the meantime while everyone here seems to ignore the elephant in the room, I'll spend my £2 on beer too.

PAXboy
26th Aug 2007, 11:12
CARR30 Not quite sure if you are trying to make a joke or a point?

To the best of my knowledge, EZY do not have a fee for check-in at the desk. They do also offer priority boarding at a fee of £5 but that varies to RYR.

Secondly, unless I much mistake, if they had similar charges for similar events launched at similar times, the Americans could not request extradition, as the two airlines do not serve the USA. That said, the US would still feel entitled to jump up and down and point out how bad the rest of the world is ...

Why am I being pedantic? Accuracy is important when a thread is in here, rather than in JB. If that all sounds 'over the top' then just ignore me.

CARR30
26th Aug 2007, 11:37
PAXboy
Thanks for confirming that there has been no collusion between FR and EZ over check-in charges and that neither airline operates in the US.

I must have been thinking of another event which is now being totally ignored on here :hmm:

Meanwhile, bashing the LoCos is much more fun...

HKPAX
29th Aug 2007, 13:22
Surely all this is about airlines gradually drifting towards charging customers on a true cost basis for the bundle of services they use? And no, it is NOT just A to B. Example A: single traveller happy to sit anywhere. no half price kids, doesn't want num nums, books and checks in on-line, no baggage, why should she pay the same as the other extreme: Example B: specified seats, subsidised kids, veggie meals, bags, da di da. Ryan Air is doing most of us a favour even if some of us would rather avoid it: you want special services, you pay the fair whack.

slim_slag
29th Aug 2007, 13:50
To the best of my knowledge, EZY do not have a fee for check-in at the deskAnd neither do ryanair.

manintheback
29th Aug 2007, 15:35
Somewhere down the line the OFT or similar are going to have to step in and standardise the method of charging. Its been done to the banks/finance industry/motor industry et al.

Advertised and headline prices should be based on the cost to get from A to B (and back), airport to airport, irrespective of payment type, industry standard hand and hold luggage allowanc. No other charges to complete the trip.

If any airline wants to reduce the price by offering luggage free options, money off by booking with a debit card and so forth, then let them do so at the end of the transaction. But of course that might just show some companies not to be quite as cheap against the opposition as they would like us to believe.

PAXboy
29th Aug 2007, 16:21
mitb Indeed, only a matter of time. As each area of commerce opens up with a new generation of mangers and inventive marketing people, so there is the need to curtail practises that are designed to mislead, whilst remaining within the law of the day.

There was one set of regulations about ten years or so ago? That was supposed to ensure that final price was seen first but has obviously been overtaken.

slim_slag
29th Aug 2007, 16:34
What next. Our beloved goverment regulator decides restaurants are only allowed to publish the price of a four course set meal, and the diner is expected to subtract the price of the soup if he doesn't want it? What complete nonsense.

Oh yes, the restaurant only serves one glass of beer with the meal and they get all pissed off when you ask for a second. Cos that's what happens on the 'all inclusive' airlines. Give me a restaurant/airline where I don't get the beer included in the price and I can buy the number of beers that I want. That's customer service for you.

manintheback
29th Aug 2007, 21:12
Slim Slag - I agree, your analogy (piss poor) is indeed complete nonsense

Mr Flaps
30th Aug 2007, 13:15
I would like to know how FR will get this £2 off people will it be off people when booking via the web or at the airport.
If it as the airport that will be fun because at STN you can not take money over check-in desks it is not allowed by airport bylaws.

But when you look at the cost of your bag, Proirty boarding and what ever else you buy with FR you might was well fly with an airline like Air Berlin or BA.

I remeber a case some months ago. Family going to Athens it was either BA or EZY. BA was £25 cheaper than EZY. Just to prove the EZY and FR and not always cheap.

slim_slag
30th Aug 2007, 16:07
I suspect you will have to buy a token or similar from the ticket desk which is usually close to the check in desks. There's two queues for you instead of one.

What's wrong with my analogy manintheback? I cannot tell much from your considered response.