View Full Version : TOP 5

SINGAPURCANAC
21st Aug 2007, 21:10
Mr. JERICHO gave me an idea to start new thread.
I would like to see what other ATCOs consider as TOP 5 places for work. Full name of airport or facility , IATA code and ICAO code, and short reason why. For some places I believe there is no special reason. Just name it!

throw a dyce
21st Aug 2007, 21:38
Used to be Hong Kong.MONEY:O:E

Jerricho
21st Aug 2007, 21:45
I'm guessing we're going to have to waive a few "hurdles" for the dream list ie enroute controllers without tower tickets etc. ;)

SINGAPURCANAC
22nd Aug 2007, 05:28
I have been told(rumorous) that salary for APP/RDR ATCO at Kai Tak was 40 000DM/per month. Could someone confirm it?

Fox3snapshot
22nd Aug 2007, 08:47
Gin Gin Tower, Western Australia....

Great spot to top up the tan and conduct road tests with the Air Force vehicles and determine what braking distance is required from a 180km/h mach run on the airfield perimeter road :E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2007, 14:23
London (Heathrow) Airport - EGLL. Simply the best, that's why.

heathrow, easy life
22nd Aug 2007, 14:42
Fully agree with HD although it was a great unit when TWR and APC were combined, bonus great bunch of guys to work with who WANTED to be there.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2007, 16:08
Agree 100% with heathrow, easy life. I believe it changed somewhat after Approach moved to LATCC... The old 6th floor Approach Room really was something else....

ImnotanERIC
22nd Aug 2007, 17:31
its easy being a car park attendant

:}:}:oh::oh::oh::}:}

dunadan06
23rd Aug 2007, 07:33
Tahiti...:}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Aug 2007, 11:40
I'll see your Tahiti..... and raise you Rarotonga and Norfolk Island... These are definitely two places I want to work next time around.

SINGAPURCANAC
23rd Aug 2007, 17:32
Tahiti is absolutely No1, but not exactly FAAA airport but Bora Bora definitly. As someone who worked with French ATCOs I have already cheked possibility but they told that only two requirements had existed. Be French citizen and French language of course. My answer was that I could solve French passport somehow ( for 100 EURs circa) but how to learn french:ugh:. Anyway I hope that I will visit Society Islands as tourist.

Tower Ranger
23rd Aug 2007, 17:36
Koh Samui Tower

Now there is a whole lifestyle!! Don`t get me started!!!

dunadan06
23rd Aug 2007, 17:56
I'm affraid you have to work for the French ANSP to go to Tahiti.;)

Now, don't give up all hope, here is the solution.

Up to now, you needed to be French citizen, but I think that starting next year you'll just have to be EU citizen, with or without a licence.

Off course you'll have to get a ICAO level 4 or 5 in French, spend 20years in a location in France (included probably 10 in the north-east part of France), and then, maybe, if you're really lucky, you'll get a small chance to work over there... maybe.:uhoh:

See, easy:}

SINGAPURCANAC
23rd Aug 2007, 18:07
No 2 is KOH SAMUI. extra place, enough traffic. recently I have offered my price. I will accept everthing above 25 EURs/montly/net. But it seems that they don't need me...:{

DirtyPierre
25th Aug 2007, 01:09
On a famil visit to Bali and Ujung in 2000, I was taken up the tower at Bali.

Surf heaven! I could sit there all day and check out which break I would surf after my shift finishes. The traffic isn't too hectic. And the beautiful Indonesian controller (Lei, was her name), with the cafe au lait skin and the million watt smile (be still my beating heart).

Bali tower for me anyday.

West Coast
26th Aug 2007, 07:26
Kaneohe bay tower.

hangten
27th Aug 2007, 16:19
DirtyPierre,

Sold. Where do I sign up? Seriously.

aluminium persuader
27th Aug 2007, 17:21
This could be a whole new Mornington Avenue! :eek: :D:D

ap;)

letsgetoutofhere
27th Aug 2007, 17:42
Can we vote for the worst 5 as well ? I (still) work for skyguide, you see...:sad:

TC.RET
27th Aug 2007, 18:16
Tower Ranger @ Singapurcanac, Try Bang Pra Tower and expect nothing but pleasure, no money, but what a life!!!

SINGAPURCANAC
27th Aug 2007, 18:27
TC.RET- It is nice to hear someone from the most beautiful country. How it is to be an ATCO in Thailand?
letsgetoutofhere- I have been at LSZH ( as a tourist) and I had pleasure to watch the traffic from cafe ( veranda,i think) whole morning. For me it was great pleasure and it seemed that traffic flows fantastically. Is it really so bad in Switzerland?
almost forget- No 3 ELLX- nice and quite operational room , enough traffic and enough money. and you may go all around Europe in days off.

andrijander
27th Aug 2007, 18:54
eerrrr...luxemboring number 3?

Don't agree...it may be nice you're close to evereywhere but believe me that's what ya'll do all the time off: you'll be gettin out of the country -and that means something doesn't it?

SINGAPURCANAC
27th Aug 2007, 19:56
I didn't say that Luxembourg( city and country) is No3.But operational room is definitely quite and salary is excellent.

aluminium persuader
28th Aug 2007, 08:31
I'd put Luxembourg up there, definitely. Loved the work, loved the country & was certainly never bored. Absolutely top place!:D:D

ap:ok:

letsgetoutofhere
28th Aug 2007, 18:45
Switzerland as a living place is fine, wages at skyguide are tolerable but well below the ANSP average if you take into account the cost of living (for quite a few working hours more). The pension scheme is good and is what is keeping the expats. The working atmosphere is awful and the company is being taken to court by the Unions due to contract breaching.

andrijander
28th Aug 2007, 19:33
Hi,

I think we'll agree to disagree -btw haven't seen the ops at ELLX, but spent almost a year there, at the city-.

Anyway my five cents worth of this: I'd vote for Mallorca -the fact I grew up there may actually help me decide on it's favour but I just haven't seen anywhere better so far (haven't seen all the places out there and this is just my opinion). Good wx all year round, ibiza is just 20min flying away, barcelona 30 min, etc...

cheers,
A.

aluminium persuader
28th Aug 2007, 22:37
Andri
I can understand your view of Lux as a young singly on your Eurocontrol course. I was in my 30s and had my family with me so saw it from a different perspective.

Back on-thread though, I'd put ELLX Radar right up there.

Adee, meng frenn! Mir wollen bleiben was mir sind!

ap:ok:

ock1f
28th Aug 2007, 22:42
No one voting for any where in Ireland then???????

Jerricho
29th Aug 2007, 01:27
Sorry Ock, but I would certainly have to hold my hand up for Nice...... I'll even learn French ;)

West Coast
29th Aug 2007, 05:44
But will you speak it with a French accent?

elcrusoe
29th Aug 2007, 14:08
Well it would be nice to think about a top 5 but overall i just can't put my mind to it just for the fact well i'll probably never be able to work there.

Stupid rules.....but well if i could go somewhere i would probably wanna try Africa (not South Africa) but the other places where ATC is still growing and learning. I think it would be good to pass on experience to such a beautiful country overall.

Jerricho
29th Aug 2007, 14:09
Parley vous Ozzie, mate?

elcrusoe
29th Aug 2007, 14:28
Nope........

Spuds McKenzie
29th Aug 2007, 16:25
The working atmosphere is awful
Might be the case in Geneva, not in Zurich though. ;)

SINGAPURCANAC
30th Aug 2007, 19:42
No 4
Montevideo, Uruguay, South America
Having no information but sounds enough "exotic" with good lifestile!

Plumaveloz
25th Sep 2007, 02:50
Valencia TACC :} (look on my profile)

We manage airspace below FL245, serving Valencia, Alicante, Murcia and Albacete Airports.
Four working sectors, +200.000 movements a year, plenty of radar vectors.
73 atcos, 72 nice persons (I do not include myself)
Well paid, 45 vacation days per year, live and medical insurance, pre-retirement at 55 y/o.

plus,

Air Nostrum. (Iberia Regional) based here. Super cheap tickets to almost all major airports in Spain.
The 33rd America´s Cup
A Formula 1 race starting next year, august 24th.
Plenty of sun, beaches and :oh:

Regards,

Á.G.

25th Sep 2007, 04:22
elcrusoe

wanna try Africa (not South Africa)

That depends on how much experience you can bring into a procedural environment with no working beacons or radios, which makes up a large portion of the continent. If you want to work traffic and radar, go to SA. They could also learn something new but will never admit it!

Farrell
25th Sep 2007, 06:02
Jerricho.....trust me.....

The nearest you are ever getting to my beloved France is the fries in your Happy Meal mate.

:)

Jerricho
25th Sep 2007, 12:49
You mean Freedom Fries mate? :p

Farrell
25th Sep 2007, 13:53
Oh yeah sorry.

Forgot you were "North American" now.

Got your polo shirt and chinos on??

Atishoo
25th Sep 2007, 14:12
Surely there is one of you guys, who will let me come into the tower and watch you work !!

Heathrow are meanies they said NO NO NO .:confused:

BadAtco
25th Sep 2007, 14:37
Jersey, is not bad! have some surf, good salary and low tax!
Recruiting soon, I hear......:ok:

hangten
25th Sep 2007, 14:50
Anybody got any word on Honolulu tower? :)