PDA

View Full Version : Best airport for safety?

xetroV
19th Aug 2007, 01:36
Unless you're given a frequency change, don't change.
... unless you happen to land on an airport where the rule is: Unless you're told to stay on the frequency, change frequency!

A310driver
19th Aug 2007, 02:15
And where might that be so we're all clued in???

Togalk
19th Aug 2007, 02:39
No one should copy anything YYZ does. It is one of the worst international airports in the world.

sleeper
19th Aug 2007, 08:22
A310driver:

Schiphol Amsterdam Airport is one that requires you to change to ground by yourself!
There are more.

llondel
19th Aug 2007, 09:13
Schiphol Amsterdam Airport is one that requires you to change to ground by yourself!

Although the frequencies are published and therefore known in advance, I would have thought the best procedure is to explicitly tell the aircraft to change frequency and give the frequency on the last ATC transmission from that controller. Of course, the downside is that it takes valuable RT time (thinking of the recent QNH thread) if you have to repeat it to each aircraft.

777300ER
19th Aug 2007, 09:14
No one should copy anything YYZ does. It is one of the worst international airports in the world.

Sad but very true!!! :ugh:

SailorOrion
19th Aug 2007, 13:05
Landing on the outer runways results in much less hassle in case of a go-around.

At least in Europe, MAs and normal departures must diverge by at least 30°, something that is impossible if you land on the inner ones (since you'd MA to the other set of runways). the US doesn't have this restriction afaik.

SailorOrion

xetroV
19th Aug 2007, 13:16
And where might that be so we're all clued in???
Amsterdam, indeed, and Helsinki (depending on the runway). Amongst many others, as Idle Thrust already mentioned earlier in this thread.

dfish
19th Aug 2007, 22:39
What makes YYZ so bad, apart from the constant construction. Just curious.

Dave F.

MrBernoulli
19th Aug 2007, 22:48

Oh really? Bit of a bold statement. I have never experienced problems at YYZ. I have encountered problems in Asia and the Gulf though ...... :rolleyes:

bomarc
19th Aug 2007, 23:04
I would like to know what YOU think is the best airport in terms of safety in the world and in the USA.

cossack
19th Aug 2007, 23:20
I too would be very interested to know what you don't like about YYZ (thread creep alert!). Yes its has a lot of construction but there aren't many airports that don't. Be specific please...

Union Jack
19th Aug 2007, 23:23
So, Bo, does that mean that the USA is out of the world?:)

Actually, since I am staying at Sconset in Nantucket at present, this little bit of the USA is indeed out of this world!

Jack

bomarc
20th Aug 2007, 03:06
lalaland is pretty out of this world.

but seriously, which airports do you all go to and say: I wish all airports /atc/etc were this good, sharp etc.