PDA

View Full Version : PFLs before first solo?

martinidoc
19th Aug 2007, 08:30
It has recently been suggested in some quarters, that we should be teaching PFLs prior to first solo. During circuit training we teach, EFATO and glide approaches, and we indicate how to deal with an approach should the engine fail at various points in the circuit. Presumably those who who designed the PPL course put first solo at ex 14 and PFL at 16 for a reason. There seems to me to be an increasing tendency to try and avoid any possible risk, which as we all know is not possible in any walk of life. Where will it all end? Ex 15. just in case you need to take avoiding action in the circuit, Ex 19, just in case an unforseen cloud appears?
What do other FIs and FEs think?

BEagle
19th Aug 2007, 08:45
I say no.

The confidence achieved in the first solo is of far greater value.

In any case, if circuits are being flown correctly, the student should be reasonably capable of handling an EFATO or other engine failure within the circuit environment. Perhaps not so if he/she's flying those huge bomber circuits and 3 deg approaches so beloved by some schools....

PFLs and Steep Turns should follow circuit consolidation, then the student should be safe enough to venture beyond the circuit on his/her own to practise solo GH. Then and only then should 'Nav Intro.' be taught.

If there's one common failing, it's FIs who rush into teaching navigation before the student has achieved an adequate level of GH consolidation!

skyhigher
19th Aug 2007, 11:02
as far as i'm concerned pfl's should be covered prior to first solo. If the student has engine failure at any point in the circuit they should be able to at least make a good attempt at a safe landing, on or off the airfield.

up to the instructor, but i would want to make sure i've covered all the possible problems and that the student has also.
cheers...

Keygrip
19th Aug 2007, 12:35
So from what "height" do you start to teach a standard PFL then, Skyhigher?

If the standard circuit is flown at, or around, 1,000' agl (depending on the individual airfield) then the emergency would commence at "low key" in the PFL, no?

Isn't that what Martinidoc and Beagle are talking about with their glide approaches (into ANY open area, on or off airfield) and standard size circuits.

Of course there are curveballs. Friend of mine did get lost on an extended downwind leg as a student - he completely lost the airport (and a lot of confidence).....but, having said that, he was still at 1,000' agl.

Do you cover navigation for diversions before first solo, just in case the airport closes with the crash of another aircraft (which often happened at Liverpool when I was there). You CAN'T cover all possibilities.

skyhigher
19th Aug 2007, 14:17
keygrip,

many ways to skin a cat so they say. Ok, lets make up a senario. student flying in the circuit, engine problem occurs and the student takes a few seconds to establish that there is a problem. in that time they have possibly descended 200 feet which make it pretty unlikely they are going to make the airfield. so what should they do? well if you had flown some pfls they would at least have some idea to turn into wind, get best glide speed and attempt a landing in a field. maybe they would even remember to turn of the fuel etc...

if they dont fly at least one pfl then they would (i believe) have very little chance of making a safe forced landing, on or off the airfield.

as per navigation, no i dont teach this prior to solo, but i do try to cover most things. i make sure they have at least 3 hours endurance in case the airport should have to close and i tell them where other airports are and what they should do in an emergency like airport closure.

no you cant cover all possibilities, i never said you could.
and what exactly is a standard pfl?! i teach pfl's from various heights as its unlikely they are going to occur at one height!

xrayalpha
19th Aug 2007, 18:32
Hi,

I had an engine failure during my supervised solo hours as a student and now I am an instructor.
A month ago, a student had an engine failure in the circuit in his first flight in his own aircraft (he had never even been dual in it, we refused to fly in it as it is known as the Widowmaker). He had done two go-arounds and then the engine quit at the start of the downwind, so his first landing on a new type was with an engine out!
My experiences have led me to teach PFLs before students go solo. Engine failure has happened to me and has happened to my students while training. So I want students to be prepared. (Wise people learn from other's expereinces, any old fool can learn from their own! So covered both ways here!!)
Personally, since you don't land with a PFL, I think it a useful way of breaking up circuit training if necessary. (Can be a good idea to take a break sometimes).
It also allows you to get a feel of how the student will react when the throttle is closed. (Not a good idea to do this for the first time at 500ft!)
Now, I teach on microlights. many microlight circuits are at 500ft, so engine failure in the circuit could be 500ft, so EFATO might be just 150ft with a landing back on the runway.
So, to me, it makes a logical progression to start with PFLs at 1,000 or 1500ft, then EFIC at 1,000ft and then EFATO at 700, 500, 250 and 100ft, possibly with a land back on the runway ahead.
OK, not the order in the exercises, but it makes sense to me! And it is my butt that is on the line.
Now, as for dangerous and unusual attitudes before solo? Well, in microlighting, solo is Ex17a and all that PFL, EFATO, EFIC, dang and unusual, comes before. But I must say I have sent people solo before then if I felt it was beneficial.
However, the attitude - poss from the RAF - that aircraft don't have engine failures, the weather behaves etc, is a brave one to take. It does mean earlier solos, but does it make better pilots. I don't think so.
Very best wishes,
Colin

BEagle
20th Aug 2007, 06:51
Well, perhaps if you are talking about flying machines with such unreliable engines, then you might have a point.

I'm not quite sure how a student can be permitted to fly his own aeroplane without holding a licence...?

Statistically, aircraft approved for SEP Class training are maintained to a high sufficiently high standard to make engine failure a very, very unlikely event. So to cover every possible contingency might take hours and hours of training before the student would be permitted to fly solo.

Nope, I'm still of the firm view that PFLs and steep turns should wait until after circuit consolidation has been completed.

fireflybob
20th Aug 2007, 10:03
I am totally with Beagle on this one - cannot see the point.

To me PFL means above 1,500 ft, anything below this sort of height then adopt the EFATO procedure. However I do make sure they have at least seen a demo of engine failure downwind and/or base leg.

hugh flung_dung
20th Aug 2007, 11:17
Personally I make sure the stude has had a few simulated failures downwind (as well as EFATO) before going solo, but wouldn't go through a full PFL trip. All I expect them to do is to hold a safe speed while setting-up a glide to the best available field and turning into wind if possible - I pre-brief the basics so that they understand the relevant issues but leave the PFL brief until it's rightful place in the syllabus.

HFD

timzsta
20th Aug 2007, 13:02
I am not that experienced as an FI(R) but PFL's before first solo - yes. Once the landings and cicuits are starting to come along OK I take them out of the circuit for a detail and go and do PFL's.

Then in the next circuit detail we look at flapless and glide approaches. On the day of first solo I make them do an EFATO and glide.

I always brief a solo circuit student on diversion if airfield closed. I tell them which airfield to go to, give them the relevant airfield plates and ensure navaids are tuned to get them there before I get it. I tell them should they have to divert to declare a Pan. Only an airfield with a tarmac runway and full ATC facilities will do.

Having done first solo if we get a day where it is flyable but not suitable for student solo circuits then I will do exercise 15 or exercise 19 instead.

BristolScout
20th Aug 2007, 14:31
We should always remember that circuits present an astonishingly high perceived workload to the average student. Once circuit training has begun, he/she needs to plug away at the exercise to benefit from the continuity of the landing phases. In my view, it's not a good idea to stick in other exercises at this point. Sufficient, perhaps, to point out that, if the motor does stop at circuit height, pointing into the field offers the best chance of walking away (usually).

I know what BEagle means about 'bomber' circuits but we also have to remember that schools operating at airfields with mixed traffic are constrained in this respect. The trick is to ensure that Bloggs knows that one size fits all is not the case and the instructor should ensure he/she has experience of busy airports and whizzy GA fields,wherever possible.

FlyingForFun
20th Aug 2007, 17:56
Two points:

- The PFL starts at a cruising altitude. It ends (from what is often called the low-key point) with a glide approach. The glide approach - the last part of the PFL - should be taught in the circuit. The early part of the PFL is absolutely not necessary, since the student will not be high enough to put it into action.

- In response to skyhigher's scenario, I'm not convinced that, from a height of 800', flying downwind, the best course of action would be to make a 180 degree turn then try to land in a field. Far better to turn towards the airport and land anywhere on it, with the fire service in attendance. Mind you, if you did decide to do a 180 degree turn, then you certainly wouldn't have much room left for anything that I'd recognise as a PFL - it would look more like an EFATO.

FFF
---------------

timzsta
20th Aug 2007, 19:45
Taking the student out of the circuit for one detail can sometimes be a welcome brake for "bloggs" I feel, particularly if they have been struggling with some aspect of the circuit/landing.

PFL's I think are a nice way of leading into the glide approach/EFATO. It will not be so much of a struggle for the student to get the aircraft quickly and accurately into the glide having previously done 4 or 5 PFL's away from the airfield.

Do any of your schools/clubs have a "pre first solo" checklist that student and instructor must sign before he/she undertakes their first solo?

BEagle
20th Aug 2007, 20:13
timzsta - where on Earth were you taught to instruct? Please advise, so that others might avoid the place!

The glide circuit is the last element of the PFL - not the other way round! Teach glide circuits first, PFLs once the glide approach has been mastered.

As for 'approach plates' and 'navaids' for an early student to find an alternative aerodrome, you must be barking mad. They'd probably kill themselves trying. If a student on an early solo comes back to find the aerodrome unexpectedly closed, then that's an emergency diversion requiring positive, gentle guidance all the way elsewhere.

hugh flung_dung
20th Aug 2007, 20:16
FFF: I don't agree that they should go for the airfield unless it's, say, the size of Bournemouth :) Going for the average small strip from downwind, even if flying a sensibly-sized circuit, is likely to lead to a low/slow "stretching the glide" type of approach and either stalling or bumping into obstacles around the boundary. Getting the nose down and (assuming there's height) turning into wind and making the best of what they see is probably best.

I usually discuss the relative energies of into-wind, downwind and vertical arrivals at this point. With a touchdown speed of 40kts in a 10kt wind an into-wind landing gives a landing "energy" of 9M to be dissipated, whereas it's 25M with a down-wind landing and around 150M in a vertical arrival following a low-level stall/spin. It follows that the first is to be preferred and the last is to be avoided :p

HFD
(edited to remove a typo)

BigEndBob
20th Aug 2007, 21:08
Before first solo i try do as many emergencies as possible and sign it off in the students log book and records.

Example, Steering/brake fail, Efato straight ahead and crosswind due local limitations, go arounds, balloon, bounce, Engine fail from downwind to a cross runway, airspeed indicator, altimeter, rpm gauge failure. Flapless/Stuck flap on go around, radio failure, stuck throttle procedure(good way to introduce glide app), orbit, extend downwind.

Students usually start to 'Buck up' a bit and switch on when they start to get a bit of variation from simply flogging around the basic circuit, they always say they enjoy the sessions, gives them some confidence that they could possibly cope with these unusual events.

Pilots always say that years ago training was better, rubbish, i was never shown any of the above other than the odd Efato during the 1970's when i trained. Having flown with 10 different instructors over 18 months!

poteroo
21st Aug 2007, 01:42
Some interesting approaches posted,and merit to most too.

What I believe this points to is the need for the student to be well and truly competent in setting up an immediate glide after power is pulled, and in executing turns in this best L/D configuration. So, this, plus some 'awareness' of where the suitable 'forced landing areas' are in the home circuit area, should give the student a fighting chance on early solo flying.

happy days,

rodthesod
21st Aug 2007, 09:17
I'm with BEagle 100% on this one.
Looking back at my old RAF logbook I see that I first soloed the JP3 in just under 9 hours and I had never even passengered in any aircraft prior to my RAF training. The confidence boost from this event was enormous and much needed - I didn't think I was ready but my wise instructor did. During solo circuit consolidation (prior to PFL training) I experienced a flameout on the downwind leg which, due to good circuit positioning, was not a major problem - I was almost embarrased by the 'hot' relight I achieved having (instinctively?) turned to the runway the instant it started to go quiet.
I remember struggling a little initially with PFLs, and I'm grateful that this challenge came later - I might have been demoralised and not made the first solo 'gate'.
As for 'covering all eventualities before the student goes solo' - how stupid can you get? As others have said, modern training aircraft are designed to be reliable and forgiving. This allows students the great 'priviledge' of becoming experienced pilots before they have to become 'heros'.
Military and civil training syllabi have been well tried and tested over the years. Why can't some people accept that some 'wheels' don't need re-inventing?

VFE
21st Aug 2007, 10:16
, I'm not convinced that, from a height of 800', flying downwind, the best course of action would be to make a 180 degree turn then try to land in a field

Me neither! A 180deg turn with zero power (not to mention stationary prop) can lose over 1000ft in nil wind, A/C depending. Hence we teach students not to attempt to turn back to the airfield with an EFATO.

To be honest, some of the practices mentioned here alarm me and demonstrate the tendancy for *some* (often newly qualified) instructors to make things up as they go along. The syllabus has been honed and tweaked over the years and therefore should be adhered to. All those years of experience in getting the order right count for far more than one instructors belief that the programme ought to be rejiggled at their discretion.

What would be of more value than PFL before first solo would be spending a bit more time on the orbit and, go around's from final approach (Southend anyone?) if these are practices sometimes employed at your airfield. Personally, I think extending downwind far safer than orbitting (does not take you back into on coming circuit traffic) but I digress....

After Ex.14 there is some scope to rearrange things due to wx issues but not before.

VFE.

Whopity
21st Aug 2007, 10:36
Once upon a time the idea was that you could glide back onto the airfield from any point in the circuit; it is not a bad principal to adhere to now. If you can't reach the airfield your circuit is too big! At around the same time the current PPL syllabus was put together and consists of a series of building blocks which ideally should be conducted in the order designated.

The student is progressively taught up to Ex 12/13 where they pound the circuit until they can demonstrate 3 consecutive safe circuits before you let them go solo. The solo is therefore a repeat of what they have already demonstrated they can handle. As a precaution we demonstrate glide and flapless approaches so they can see what to do if the unlikely happened. They also have to see and demonstrate EFATO so they are fairly well prepared when they embark on their first solo.

The PFL is probably the most demanding exercise on the PPL syllabus and usually takes several goes to get close to doing even a reasonable one. It demands more skill and poses its own dangers for a low houred student. There is absolutely no point in introducing this until the student has mastered landing correctly and consolidated those skills especially as they will only be operating at circuit height. The PFL is taught prior to out of circuit solo so that the student can demonstrate the ability to deal with an out of circuit emergency and is another reason why a FI has to be unrestricted to authorise the first out of circuit solo.

On the microlight syllabus they teach PFLs pre-solo for a very different reason; the aircraft all began with notoriously unreliable engines and their glide performance means they have little chance of getting back to the airfield. Therefore with a high probability of a field landing it was introduced early but that really is not applicable to a certified SEP aeroplane.

homeguard
21st Aug 2007, 12:18
Whopity

Simple, concise and how it should be, thankyou! So please those who are re-inventing the wheel, go back to basics.

hugh flung_dung
21st Aug 2007, 15:59
Whopity:
Once upon a time the idea was that you could glide back onto the airfield from any point in the circuit; it is not a bad principal to adhere to now. If you can't reach the airfield your circuit is too big!
Yes, but once upon a time most airfields were also largish areas with many possible landing directions and few obstructions outside the boundary. Many airfields now have a single runway, may not be wide enough for a stude to land across and may have buildings near the boundary.

I fully support the need for tighter circuits but don't agree that it is always appropriate or possible to try to reach the airfield from anywhere in the circuit. The most important thing is to achieve a safe speed and to arrive in a controlled way on a relatively flat surface - and preferably into wind.

HFD

Rickford
21st Aug 2007, 17:57
I introduce PFLS before letting my students go solo and then do two/three glide approaches from various parts of the circuit to various parts of the airfield. To my mind this achieves the following:

Vital actions are carried out eg. fuel pump on, change carb heat setting, change tank all of which can be achieved easily by the average student whilst pitching for best glide speed - All of these may resolve the problem

Breaks the link that I must land on the specified runway rather than the largest clear space I can reach.

Personally I think EFATO introduces more fear panic overload to students than PFLs. Certainly does on biennials:)

timzsta
21st Aug 2007, 19:19
So you guys are sending students solo without briefing them on where they are to go in the event of the runway becoming blocked/airfield closed?

My Deputy CFI once had a student on second solo have to divert because the runway was closed. Three times this year I have seen the runway at my airfield closed for over an hour due to various incidents.

All our students are to briefed on a suitable diversion in the event of the above happening. They are to carry a copy of the airfield plate for the diversion airfield from either the VFR flight guide/Pooley's and the Instructor is to make sure the VOR that is located "on aerodrome" at the diversion airfield we use is tuned and the OBS set to the radial inbound the links the two airfields.

My airfield handles everything from 150's to 757's. Occasionally one has to orbit or extend downwind. It makes sense to ensure students are familiar with doing so and what to do if they feel unhappy about doing it.

I will apologise to my students who have reached the solo stage and who are familiar with what to do if they have to divert and have an engine failure. It was unnecessary for me to have taught them what to do.

homeguard
21st Aug 2007, 20:24
Well, what seems to challenged is the syllabus itself. Where does the line get drawn?
What element of the syllabus should be included before solo and what left to later. Setting VORs to a QDM is one thing but tracking a radial while remaining spacially aware is another, how much then of ex18 is covered. The outside world can be a strange and unnerving place for a low hour student and i'm not convinced by timzsta and Rickford. How, as whopity has referred, can a student who has not been taught, fully, glide approaches as a technique undertake a forced landing off field with all the other factors to be considered, also.
Should a student be forced to divert when at the circuit solo stage then I would suggest that D&D on 121.50 for their expert assistance would be the safer bet.

timzsta
22nd Aug 2007, 19:07
What are we actually teaching, when we break it down, in a PFL?
We are teaching taking the aircraft from the cruise to a glide descent. We should have already taught this in exercercise 8.1. The PFL will require some descending gliding turns. See exercise 9
The choice of field - this is basically an airmanship issue. The more airmanship skills the student has before first solo the better in my opinion.
Finally we are teaching some checks - they same ones the student should be doing when we teach glide in the circuit. We want to first ascertain why the engine has stopped in the hope we can restart it. If we cant achieve the aforementioned then we need to secure the engine and prepare for forced landing - ie fuel off/master off/unlatch doors etc.
I can't see why any of that is bad stuff for a student to have learnt prior to first solo.
As I said earlier I tell my students if you have to divert in the process of carrying out solo circuits do it under a pan. My airfield is radar equipped and so is the airfield they will go to. The will get all they help they need from ATC to get from one to the other.

VFE
22nd Aug 2007, 19:50
BEagle mentioned how the confidence gained from a first solo when weighed up against the possibility of an off-field precautionary landing actually occuring during first solo is a non-brainer. If you take your thinking to the logical conclusion Timzsta, you could very well teach the whole syllabus before the student ever flies the aircraft alone.

I know not of a student carrying out a forced landing away from the airfield during first solo (no doubt someone will point to one occasion tho!) although I have met one who had EFATO and executed a landing in a feild ahead which he walked away from. It is admirable that you've taken the forethought to think of a possible ugly scenario Timzsta but there comes a point where you have to let them go solo for the sake of continued progress and confidence. Those with much more experience than ourselves dictate that this happens at Ex.14, not at Ex.17.

Granted, I have taken a struggling student away from the circuit for some PFL training (under instruction from his regular instructor - not my own decision) and feel strongly that he gained no advantage either when introduced back to circuit work nor in the unlikely event that he had to carry out one during his first solo.

Until I gain much more experience in this game I intend to stick to the book as much as possible when implimenting the training - as a friend I would recommend you do too mate but it's your call at the end of the day.

VFE.

timzsta
22nd Aug 2007, 20:30
I teach PFL's before first solo. That's it. I don't teach exercise 15,18B,19 etc.

And I make sure the student has some idea as to what to do if things start to go wrong at the airfield. And being a "mixed traffic environment" airfield they do more then occasionally in my limited experience. So far this year I have witnessed the runway blocked for at least an hour by a 757, a King Air and a 152. And all on days that were "soloable".

xrayalpha
22nd Aug 2007, 21:36
BEagle wrote (a couple of days ago, regarding my microlighting input):

"Well, perhaps if you are talking about flying machines with such unreliable engines, then you might have a point."

Accepted as regards the two-stroke days, which was when our syllabus was drawn up. But now we have the ubiquitous Rotax 912 - designed as a certified engine - it does beg the question that this thread is based on: Why have two different approaches to training and PFLs. The syllabus for micros is on the NPPL web site.

"I'm not quite sure how a student can be permitted to fly his own aeroplane without holding a licence...?"

Quite simple. You buy the aircraft, you employ the instructor. In the light aircraft world, there might be questions as to whether it is on a private C of A or a Public C of A - or indeed in the PFA permit world whether of not it is soley owned - if money is changing hands for instruction. But if you are solo, you are in the aircraft yourself and as long as you meet the regs for that flying machine, you can do it. The problem in this case gives scope for another thread: the instructors had told (not advised) the student not to buy the aircraft and that they would not fly in it. Student insisted on buying. Student then wanted to do some of his solo hours in own aircraft (very common in microlighting since it used to be completely illegal to hire aircraft, so to continue flying after licence issue then microlight had to be purchased). Instructors thought: well, he is going to have to fly it sometime. Decided to check the aircraft out solo themselves before giving him a ground brief on its characteristics (sky turns green when you stall!) and sent him off.

"Statistically, aircraft approved for SEP Class training are maintained to a high sufficiently high standard to make engine failure a very, very unlikely event. So to cover every possible contingency ..."

Not talking every contingency in this thread, but PFLs.

Here are couple of questions from microlight instructor revalidations:

Give me five reasons why your nice new Rotax 912 (basically a certified SEP engine) powered microlight might have an engine failure?)

This was from an examiner who had had his throttle cable go at 50ft on take-off after having just crossed the Severn at height too low to glide to the other side!

Give me five reasons why your solo student could have a dangerous and unusual attitude on his first solo?

Well, this is what this thread is about. There are no rights and wrongs, I think, but different ways of thinking.

As for diversion airfields, we just tell students to use the farmer's field next door! (There again, unlike the runway at Strathaven, it is harrowed and rolled at least twice a year, so probably smoother!)

Very best wishes to all

fireflybob
23rd Aug 2007, 01:51
At the end of the day it's all about probabilities.

Let me tell you something - learning to fly is "risky"! Now I know we are not allowed to use that word but it's true. Of course as instructors we are doing everything we reasonably can to eliminate the risk. On early solos the instructor is making most of the "command" decisions, e.g. weather, atc situation, student skill level, etc.

We could perhaps teach them everything in the syllabus before they go solo but we don't - what about Steep Turns just in case he has to take emergency avoiding action on his first solo - ever seen a bandit flog straight through the ATZ without clearance? But this just would not be practical. We have to be careful we do not generate a problem by fixing another one.

The basics of learning to fly are very simple and it's plain counter-productive if you start to complicate it in the early days of the students flying.

BEagle
23rd Aug 2007, 04:33
"Instructors thought: well, he is going to have to fly it sometime. Decided to check the aircraft out solo themselves before giving him a ground brief on its characteristics (sky turns green when you stall!) and sent him off."

So, the instructors had severe doubts about the aircraft, yet still 'sent him off'?

Why, if they harboured such doubts, did they authorise him to fly it?

xrayalpha
23rd Aug 2007, 07:54
Hi BEagle,

We sent him off because: the aircraft was approved to BCAR Section S, it had a current permit to fly, we could find nothing wrong with it on a pre-flight inspection, the weather was within the POH limits, the student had his 3rd party insurance and medical and shown himself to be a competant student and he felt comfortable with doing it. (oops, that sounds like a pre-solo checklist that some queried the need for!)

We didn't like doing it because the Mainair Flash 2 - which was designed and used as a microlight school trainer when new - turned out to be a heap of cr** and was fairly soon replaced by the Flash 2 Alpha. It may still be approved by the CAA, but I ain't going to fly in one. I believe there are some light aircraft that people feel like that about too.

Now the conundrum. If a student is going to fly this aircraft after he gets his licence, perhaps his later solo hours under the ground supervision of an instructor are more beneficial to him if on that type. It means the debriefs are going to be more relevant to his future flying than they might be if he was in a more modern machine.

Our thought was to change one thing at a time. So learn dual on a modern machine, then solo on a modern machine, then when competant at solo (ie the stage one would consider an xc) have a go solo on his own machine.

Fortunately, since he had an engine failure (due to a nipple breaking off a cable) and had to do his first landing in a new type dead stick, we must have given him the right training (and the lucky rabbit's foot) since he put it in a field next to the airfield virtually undamaged.

Very best

BristolScout
23rd Aug 2007, 08:33
Lots of interesting stuff on this thread which, to my mind, proves two slightly contradictory premises:

1. the PPL syllabus has been proved by time and works well
2. we should never close our minds to innovation.

To go back to the original question, I would not normally teach pfls prior to solo but I have done so - with those rare students who learn to fly before their 16th birthday - therefore it's not hard and fast by any means. Those of us who have instructed for a long time are only too aware that the PPL course is basically about showing the student how not to kill himself by avoiding the traps that aviating encompasses. 45 hours is not nearly enough to teach anyone to fly in a meaningful sense. We hand them a bucket full of training and hope that they replace it with a like amount of experience as they progress as licensed pilots. At the end of the day, I believe that it's down to the individual relationship between the instructor and student as to how one progresses through the syllabus.

Teaching people to fly is one of the most rewarding things on the planet. We are a very fortunate group of people.

Whopity
23rd Aug 2007, 08:41
So you guys are sending students solo without briefing them on where they are to go in the event of the runway becoming blocked/airfield closed?
Yes, they are not yet capable of going anywhere else so why endanger them unnecessarily? ATC should be briefed that you are sending a student on a first solo, ideally the instructor will monitor (from the tower if possible). The probability of the airfield becoming unavailable in the duration of one circuit is very small. If the runway is blocked it is better that ATC get them down on the grass or a taxiway than expect them to divert.

Caullystone
23rd Aug 2007, 18:34
As a low hours PPL student doing the circuit I am with BristolScout's view

"I believe that it's down to the individual relationship between the instructor and student as to how one progresses through the syllabus"

I will discuss the issues with my instructor near the time he suggests I go solo because as fireflybob states "Let me tell you something - learning to fly is "risky"!"

I want .... with the help of my instructor.. to review the risks and make an informed decision as to when I am ready.

This thread will help me to make the informed decision... many thanks.

VFE
23rd Aug 2007, 22:14
And Caully,

Rest assured, when you have your licence and you wish to hire the clubs aircraft, if your CFI or Ops Manager senses you should not go due: wx, we WILL TELL you.

A licence to learn - just like driving.

Think of every eventuality my friend - leave the why's and wherefores to those in the know.

VFE.

BristolScout
29th Aug 2007, 11:09
Caully.

With respect, I don't think you'll be discussing things with your instructor when he suggests you go solo. He/she will climb out of the aeroplane and you'll be rather preoccupied for the next ten minutes. Treasure the moment.:)