PDA

View Full Version : LPC Revalidation

iaf_22
18th Aug 2007, 17:38
Hello all,
I just need some confirmation from you guys :
some CFI have a tendency to sign the LPC together with the OPC.
I know the OPC is valid 6 months, but the LPC is valid 1 year.
According to what i just read in the JAR FCL 1.245 (b)(1), the LPC can be revalidated only within the last 3 months of its validity, is that right ??
So If my Type Rating is expiring on the 15/02/2008, and i have sim sessions today ( 18 th august 2007). There is no way to extend or revalidate my Type rating till 18 August 2008, because we are not within the last 3 months of the previous expiry date, am I correct ??:confused:
Thank you.

Curtis E Carr
19th Aug 2007, 07:56
You can do a LPC whenever you like, but if it is done more than 3 months from the due date, it will only last 12 months from the date you did it (until 17 Aug 2008 in your case) as opposed to 12 months from the original due date (15 Feb 2009 in your case).

Hope that makes sense.

Curtis E Carr
19th Aug 2007, 17:40
iaf 22

Was this answer useful?

iaf_22
20th Aug 2007, 22:51
Yes Curtis, it is. Thank you. What you say does sounds more logical.
I just think that

"(a) Type ratings and multi-engine class
ratings, aeroplane – Validity. Type ratings and
multi-engine class ratings for aeroplanes are valid
for one year from the date of issue, or the date of
expiry if revalidated within the validity period."

is a bit confusing because of the term "validity period". I would understand that 6 months BEFORE the expiry, i am IN the "validity period". (but then this whole sentence would made non sense...see bottom of this message).
Also, if you look at the ONLY paragraph talking about how to revalidate the type rating, i would understand you can only revalidate it if you are within the last 3 months of its validity.
have a look at the paragraph about revalidation :

(b) Type ratings and multi-engine class
ratings, aeroplane – Revalidation. For revalidation
of type ratings and multi-engine class ratings,
aeroplane, the applicant shall complete:
(1) a proficiency check in accordance
with Appendix 1 to JAR–FCL 1.240 in the
relevant type or class of aeroplane within the
three months immediately preceding the expiry date of the rating;

and...That's it !
If i was a lawyer, i would say that ACCORDING to those paragraphs, if you read it clearly and juridically : if i do a LPC on 1st january 2005 (-->valid until 1/1/06) and then another one immediately the next day on the second of january 2005 (=one day after = within the "validity period" --> one year from the date of expiry 1/1/06 = new expiry date would be 1/1/07 !).
Thus in 2 consecutives days i would have a 2 years validation Type rating !
Do you understand my point of view ??
I'm curious to know if i'm the only one to read it this way (although i KNOW this isn't what they mean and that this isn't the way it is).