PDA

View Full Version : Third Generation Pilots

howflytrg
17th Aug 2007, 23:11
Hello one and all. Just wondering how many third generation pilots there are out there. I am one, Grandafather and old man RAF. Now an F/O myself.

fireflybob
18th Aug 2007, 18:39
The VC 10 played a major role in the life of Rendall and his family. In 2001 a correspondent commented in the letters column of The Daily Telegraph that two generations of his family had flown the same Sea Harrier, prompting the RAF to point out that three generations of the Rendall family had flown the same VC 10 in its 38 years. Rendall and his eldest son had flown it during its service with BOAC and, after its conversion to an air refuelling tanker for the RAF, Rendall's granddaughter was the captain of the same aircraft on its final flight with No 101 Squadron.

Captain Rendall (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/07/27/db2701.xml)

A Very Civil Pilot
19th Aug 2007, 07:39
I suppose that it's not impossible for 4 generations to have been in aviation, such as:

Great Grandad - Royal Flying Corp, WW1
Grandad- RAF, WW2
Dad- Civil Aviation, 60s onwards
Son- Civil Aviation, today.

I hasten to add that is not my ancestery! The best I can come up with is:

Grandad - Gliding instructor, WW2,
Dad - A few hours towards a PPL in the 70s,
Me- Airline Pilot

BelArgUSA
20th Aug 2007, 22:32
My father was a B-17E co-pilot (8th AF - USAAF based UK)...
Bailed-out over Belgium in January 1943. Made a baby (me)...
Remained hiding in cellar (tasting vintage wines?) until September 1944.
Back in UK, flew again until V-E day...
xxx
Then there is me... Outcast from Belgium, USA, and refugiated in Argentina...
Flying 747... retiring next year (hooray)...
xxx
My son might end-up a third generation pilot.
He is 18, with a PPL now, working on his CPL/IR.
His father is an incompetent instructor.
He flies 737 and 747 simulators better than me, logged 200 hrs in them.
I urge him to stop there, and have a real job instead.
I hope it is just a hobby for him, I dont consider airline pilots a good career anymore.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

Rainboe
20th Aug 2007, 22:58
Yeh, but it's a great view, and it delays growing up a bit! And it's full of the best looking chicks. I married one. But boy do they know how to shop!

As for the Rendalls, I knew them well and flew with all 3. Splendid bunch. Went to Hamble you know. And the last flies on in a 747-400!