PDA

View Full Version : We are men !!

rmac
17th Aug 2007, 21:30
Disney meets a time when a war for freedom didn't mean only 5% of the population when everyone else was in Ibiza

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjzrfOeUMOA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjzrfOeUMOA) I hope the link is OK

rmac

pr00ne
18th Aug 2007, 01:26
ER, think I'd much rather be in Ibitha..............................

Soldiers who wanna be heroes, you can count in the zeroes, but there are millions who wanna be civilians.

coolblackcat
18th Aug 2007, 07:10
The vid would be much better if they changed the word "huns" for "Nazis"...

If the squadron was trying to attack huns in the second world war, I don't think they were helping the Allies much.

No, I wouldn't prefere to be in Ibiza. There is no other way to meet new places, to see once-in-a-lifetime sights, and to live 1000 adventures (even if it sounds stupid).
How many stories would those soldiers have after the war? An uncountable amount.
I see videos of the "3 Para" squadron in Afghanistan, for example, and I wish I could live an experiance like it.

I would be bored if I were a Civie all my life.

rmac
18th Aug 2007, 07:45
Started this thread late at night after a few whiskies.....:eek:

What I think my point was.......is, and captured partially by the clip, was the thought that if we are talking war for freedom and survival, there was a real one not so long ago.........and it took the efforts of everyone (in many cases whether they liked it or not) to "get down to business to defeat the hun", and it wasn't easy.

Lord Deedes who died yesterday, wrote an account in the Telegraph last year called "the worst day of my life" when circumstances around a company sized attack on a bridge caused him (as company commander) to lose all three of his platoon commanders and almost half his company, most of whom had been with him for over a year since the D-day landings.
As has been covered many times in this forum, WW2 bomber crew were almost on a suicide mission.

While the MOD media people do a good job of handling the unfortunate deaths of servicemen, can you imagine how many people that department would have had to employ in WW2 to produce the same.

The point.....if we are on a global war for freedom and justice ?....then "lets get down to business to defeat the .......?" suspend "normal life" and get the job done.

or

Is it all about money ? better to fight but not disturb the stock markets, secure the oil, whatever, and outsource the indefinate rotations to the troops who have "volunteered" to do it anyway.

If we continue to approach it the way we are doing, it will be like painting the forth rail bridge, never finished. Except at some time, so many painters will have fallen off the bridge that the rest will quit:ugh:

And talking about quitting, how many WW2 personnel had the option of quitting half way through a tour of ops, or halfway to the Rhine.

Lewis its good to have the stories, assuming you survive, and their are millions of graves scattered around Europe and the rest of the world that prove survival is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Anyway ramble over....take it as you will.....:)

Melchett01
18th Aug 2007, 10:38
I see videos of the "3 Para" squadron in Afghanistan, for example, and I wish I could live an experiance like it

Be very very very careful what you wish for. Done several tours in Iraq, thought I had seen most of what was on offer. Spent last summer in Helmand, spent 2 months mostly sh1tting myself. I wouldn't change my experiences for the world, but just be careful - You Tube videos are one thing, doing it is very different.

parabellum
18th Aug 2007, 11:29
Hopefully 3 Para are still a battalion and not reduced to squadron strength just yet?;)

MarkD
18th Aug 2007, 14:38
Donny Osmond! Are you having a laugh?

rmac
18th Aug 2007, 21:08
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/07/ndeedes07.xml&page=1 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/07/ndeedes07.xml&page=1)

I have found the Bill Deedes article, almost as I recall, quite sobering after you read all three pages.

For those who don't want to read all three pages, the summary on the second half of page three is very enlightening.

coolblackcat
18th Aug 2007, 22:00
Yes true...
I still have the "childish" wish for adventure that we all have when we're young...
But I do realize that I can't imagine what these people go through.

What I would love to try is to leave a post after a couple of whiskies though; Going out right this minute (Mates will be outside at 12ish). Spanish paries are the best by far!

I feel like killing huns after that video... Maybe I should stop watching it.