PDA

View Full Version : Logging microlight hours

FlyingGasMain
16th Aug 2007, 17:04
Hi,

I've just got some part-time work instructing on 3-axis microlights, which is proving to be quite enjoyable. My questions are :

1/ Do I log the time under the 'Single Engine' column of my somewhat basic logbook ? I've got a feeling I have to change the column heading, but don't know for sure.

2/ I've been told that I can only count 100 hours of microlight time towards unfreezing my ATPL. I'm not too concerned about this at the moment as an unfrozen ATPL seems about as far off as, well, the North Pole right now. But I would like to know where this rule comes from as I've been unable to find it in the JARs etc. so far.

Any advice much appreciated.

FGM

Whopity
16th Aug 2007, 21:50
Its your log book do what you like with it.
You cannot count any microlight time towards your ATPL - JAR-FCL 1.005(a)(5). JAR-FCL 1.280 lists the requirements for an ATPL and in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.155 you can claim up to 30 hours PIC in motor gliders or gliders.

FlyingGasMain
17th Aug 2007, 16:21
Hmm, I saw that about the motor gliders. There's no mention of microlights in there. It may be because the JAA seems to see microlights as aircraft purely regulated by national bodies. I need to go back to the guy who told me I could count 100 hrs of the microlight time I think.

Whopity
18th Aug 2007, 18:31
JAR-FCL 1.005 (a)(5) states:

Whenever a reference is made to aeroplanes this does not include microlights as defined nationally, unless otherwise specified.