PDA

View Full Version : Duxford FLYER Bonus Day 1st September

alphaalpha
16th Aug 2007, 17:03
Duxford Bonus Day -- for all FLYER readers -- 1st September 2007

Flyer magazine and Duxford are getting together for the September 1st Bonus Day. The event is open to all aircraft and all readers of FLYER. Arrive in any aircraft, ideally bring a copy of Flyer and enjoy the discounts and benefits below -- and, of course, meet your Flyer friends.

Duxford is home the Imperial War Museum and must be the premier destination for GA pilots in Europe. Most weekends through the flying season, although there are no guarantees, you are quite likely to see warbirds flying -- Spitfire, Hurricane, B17, Catalina, Sabre and other rare types are based at Duxford. This Bonus Day is one week before the September airshow, so the chances are good.

The Bonus days offer great discounts: this time all aircraft (or pilots) will enjoy half-price landing fees and much reduced museum admission. A single or a twin can land for £7; museum entry is £7 for most adults and children come in free.

Flyer folk will be at Duxford for the day and will offer magazine subscribers free tea or coffee. The museum will put on one or two tours of part of the museum. The £20+ million ‘AirSpace’ project was officially opened on 11th July – really a ‘must-see.’

Some of AOPA working group guys will be at Duxford, and Martin Robinson and Mike Cross will give short talks. They will welcome feedback from pilots on AOPA and GA issues.

Warbird pilot Clive Denny will also be talking about how he learned to fly Spitfires, Hurricanes, Harvard, Storch and other Duxford types and he will also welcome questions and discussion.

Food is available or sit out on the grass with your own picnic.

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors can be found on the web site http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

Further information about this day is at www.flyer.co.uk/diary/duxford

The airfield team will be delighted to hear from forumites (call for PPR and briefing 01223 833376) and to see you on the day.

Future bonus days are:
Oct 27th Halloween Bonus (any aircraft – wear costume)
Dec 15th Christmas Dinner Bonus Day

Just for people who don’t know, I should declare my interest. I’m a casual FISO at Duxford. I’m also a pilot who thinks the place is pretty marvellous. :):)

Alan.

alphaalpha
19th Aug 2007, 06:12
The hard runway at Duxford is being resurfaced at present. It should be complete in time for the Flyer Bonus Day on September 1st. I will confirm when the work is complete. In the meantime the 800m grass runway is in good condition. :)

Don't forget PPR, please 01223 833376.

Alan.

alphaalpha
29th Aug 2007, 06:39
I'm glad to say the hard runway at Duxford is now back in service. It has been resurfaced, with a slightly reduced width -- 30m, from memory, so plenty wide enough. It has been repainted with sidelines and centreline and new runway designators 24L and 06R (the grass is 24R and 06L). The phraseology on the radio will be "24/06 grass" and "24/06 hard", not left and right, so there should be no confusion with the circuit direction.

For the time being, the two runways will continue to be treated as one, so no simultaneous landings/take-offs, please.

The new surface edges may be sharp, so the hard runway may only be entered and vacated from the hard taxiways at each threshold. Pilots may like to plan their touchdown point and landing roll accordingly to minimise runway occupancy, particularly if traffic is known to be following (subject always, of course, to safe operation).

There are also some changes to the holding points. I'll post some advice on Friday.

It should be a good day on Saturday. It would help if you could call for PPR before Saturday -- it can get a bit manic if the phones are competing with aircraft for attention 01223 833376.

Don't forget to bring a copy of Flyer magazine, too.

Alan.