PDA

View Full Version : RFI - Underslung Loads - Slings - Hooking Up

BASys
15th Aug 2007, 22:04
RFI - Underslung Loads - Slings - Hooking Up

Hi Folks

My apologies for the intrusion with a totally numpty type question, (non-flyer). :)

Could anyone please outline
when / if ever, the following would be permissible ?

IRL, when picking up a load using a fixed sling -

Is it ever permissible to 'fish' for the load ?
or is it always the case
that someone on the ground/vessel would perform the hookup ?

Info required for a game simulation environment.

TIA
ATB
Paul

Fareastdriver
16th Aug 2007, 00:19
A load is always hooked up by somebody down below. 1: to ensure that the strops, nets etc are arranged so that they grip the load evenly and 2: To ensure the hook is engaged positively.

UH60Hwkdrvr
16th Aug 2007, 00:46
I have done self hook-ups in the UH60. We land next the load (storage container, fuel blivet, cargo pallet, etc...) then we have one of the crewmen from the back tie a couple of blade ropes to the the end of the sling clevis. The crewman in the back is sitting near the cargo hook access cover, reaches through and grabs the blade rope. As we begin lifting the helo and centering over the load, the crewman pulls the ropes into the cabin through the hole in the floor. Ultimately the helo will be over the load and we will attach the hook. Could be a bit dangerous for the crewman if we had an emergency before he could untie the ropes, but never had an issue. It works, when no one is around to hook the load. M.A.C.

Vie sans frontieres
16th Aug 2007, 00:51
If you land next to the load, why not just use a longer strop and hook it straight to the aircraft, then lift up and right?

Fareastdriver
16th Aug 2007, 01:15
Exactly. Why risk a crewmans hands or anything else if it can be avoided. Anyway it is not fishing in the way that the original poster was thinking of. I can understand the logic of avoiding having a long strop because I have found that the shorter the strop is, but long enough to allow for the load to up-end itself in flight, the better it flies. The old British Army 105mm howitzer with the spades deployed would cruise quite happily at 140 knots on a 6ft strop. Even faster if the hook became undone.

rotorfloat
16th Aug 2007, 01:17
Perhaps a bit in the special application department, some seismic operators employ a "bag runner" which requires no ground personnel to attach to load to the long/short line of the helicopter.

Personnel do have to lay the load out properly before hand, but do not need to be present during the actual hook-up. This allows the helicopter to quickly move from location to location, making multiple pickups without waiting for groundcrew.

http://www.veritasdgc.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=4-99-645

greenthumb
16th Aug 2007, 06:58
Selfhooking is a common procedure while Ag ops. May be i can find some pics in my archive. Itīs tricky, yes, but very very fast in the hand of experts.

BASys
19th Aug 2007, 17:00
Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

Your information confirmed my understanding,
further backed up by active crew of the particular a/c type concerned.

I'll pass this on to the developer.

Just to reiterate,
the in-game implementation is currently -
fishing with a dangling 75' sling,
which automatically hooks a load
if the player correctly positioned the a/c
whilst flying <= 8kts.

Loads hooked could be upto 10,000 lbs

Seems a quick way to burn 6 million quid.

rotorfloat -
Thanks for the "Bag-Runner" & "DynaNav GPS" link,
that mechanism does look like a suitable representation
of whats been currently implemented.

Many thanks
ATB
Paul

maxtork
19th Aug 2007, 17:35
The closest thing I can think of to "fishing" would be grapple logging. The pilot sets the grapple (a big hydraulicly driven claw) on top of the log he wants and hits a switch to close it then up and way they go. Was quite the job when you had to pick up one log. move it over relese and then pick up two or more logs to build an adequate turn.

Max