PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lakes

Seagull61
15th Aug 2007, 17:11
Will be out that way in 3 weeks, but wouldn't mind a spot of mountain flying. Does anyone have any knowledge of the area? Or know of any flying schools which will rent out around Mammoth, California?

dwshimoda
15th Aug 2007, 23:10
I was there snowboarding at Christmas. There is a decent airstrip about 5 miles out of Mammoth - couldn't tell you if there are any schools there though. During our time I saw small biz jets, a Cessna 172 / 182 and numerous other light aircraft operating. The runway was clear of snow, and most aircraft were in very modern looking hangars - made me think it was a fairly new facility.

It would be a great place to get some spctacular flying in, and really get to grips with mountain waves and density altitude - mammoth village is at 8,000 feet, so it will be a flight requiring some demanding preparation!
Good luck :)

DW

rmac
16th Aug 2007, 11:04
I concur with Paris and Dwc, was ski-ing in Mommoth this April and popped in for a look, but no evidence of a school.

It did leave me with an idea though. Rent in LA, fly LA-Big Bear-Mohave- up the inland pass to Mammoth on to Lake Tahoe and over to SF, coming back down the coast.

Any one interested ?

rmac

Seagull61
16th Aug 2007, 12:04
Thanks all, it does appear to be just an FBO there. So i`ll try Bishop i think!

Speaking of trips...I was out that way in May and hired a 172 out of SF and flew Vegas - Canyon - Palm Springs - San Diego - SF.....some trip..

PM me for details if interested.