PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone/intercom connection circuit diagram?

ACdLn
15th Aug 2007, 11:57
Im looking into connecting my mobile phone to the headset and intercom in the aircraft but dont really want to buy one of the ready made devices as I need to be able to modify and integrate it with other things. I have already made a unit to connect my headset to my PC and also a video recorder and was looking for some instructions to make something to connect a mobile phone.
Im assuming that i will need to make a small circuit to achieve this so a circuit diagram would be useful.

cheers

andrew

snapper41
15th Aug 2007, 12:44
And if anyone knows how to connect my ipod to my headset, and make it cut out whenever I send/receive a message...:ok:

tmmorris
15th Aug 2007, 14:10
Yes, it's called a new Garmin audio panel..!

Tim

IO540
15th Aug 2007, 15:16
I have the PM7000 intercom, and for the first time since 2002 I tried the "music input".

It works brilliantly. It cuts the music the moment there is any radio talk, and then it gently fades it back in over a number of seconds.

I would probably never fly with music because usually there is too much radio chatter but it's handy for passengers because you can isolate them so they don't have the music constantly cutting out.

Re the original Q I would buy the SafetyCell product (cheap from the USA) and hack it around.

Otherwise, mobile phone connector details are on google.

Sallyann1234
15th Aug 2007, 15:17
AcDLn,
Two suggestions for you:
1. Check whether you need certification for making direct connection or wiring changes to the aircraft's electrical system. I suspect that any such changes will need some sort of approval and be done by a licensed engineer.
2. Check with your phone network whether they agree to you using your phone while airborne. Most of them disapprove of it because it can cause disruption to their networks.

tmmorris
15th Aug 2007, 15:51
I only use the audio input on our Archer to plug in an external handheld receiver. Why? Because my home base ATIS is only on UHF and this enables me to get the ATIS inbound (outbound is on a telephone line before I walk).

Yes, it works very well indeed.

Tim

rtl_flyer
16th Aug 2007, 12:43
I have the PM7000 intercom, and for the first time since 2002 I tried the "music input".
New aircraft has music input, tried it with an ipod Nano at the weekend. First time in 7 years flying I have had music playing. Felt really really strange at first. By the return flight home got use to it. Quite good.
I only use the audio input on our Archer to plug in an external handheld receiver. Why? Because my home base ATIS is only on UHF and this enables me to get the ATIS inbound
Like the idea of plugging in the handheld to get ATIS - never thought of doing that. You can still hear and transmit on the service you are using as well as getting ATIS.
Tim

tmmorris
16th Aug 2007, 14:58
Yes - actually hadn't thought of that as an advantage with VHF ATIS but it avoids the problem of controller talking on box 1 while you listen to ATIS on box 2 - or only having one box, of course! Though I doubt many ac equipped with a modern audio panel have only one radio, do they?
Tim