PDA

View Full Version : Beechcraft baron 58, advise needed!

m3the01
13th Aug 2007, 04:00
Hello,

Im looking for a twin with a good track record and it seems like the baron is the plane of choice as long as you dont operate it at the service ceiling always.

Is there any forums or members who can comment on the cost of ownership of a baron 58 or other airplanes in its class that would be great.

Questions such as, should i buy an airplane with a few hundred hours before a major overhall or buy one where the major overhall isnt scheduled for a 1000 hours or so? Theres obvious cost different..

See the way i see it, either way the final cost is the same if i buy a plane that already has the newer engines. However if i buy a plane that needs replacements shortly than i get the benefit of a lot cheaper airplane with immediate plans/money for engines when they reach their lifespan. The second choice seems the wiser, some warranty and such.

Also does anyone source out new engines or just do a major overhall on the engines they have? Im new to all this.

Any and all advice appreciated! If you could direct me to any readings that would also be appreciated.

Thanks

RE Koyich
15th Aug 2007, 13:33
You can sign up to a group of very knowledgeable Beech people from around the world here:

http://lists.aviating.com/mailman/listinfo/beech-owners

Ron Koyich
BE-55 owner, Hong Kong and Australia

RE Koyich
15th Aug 2007, 14:13
Contact me off-line for the name of a Baron owner in Edmonton.

Ron Koyich

Edmonton boy - Ron at Koyich daht com

RE Koyich
15th Aug 2007, 15:03
Hello, again.

Not sure of your name - first name would be helpful.

Anyway, as far as whether to buy a high time or low time engine, it really is pretty much a crap shoot.

I used to think the go was to buy a plane with a high time engine/s and replace with factory reman/s. Since doing that with my Baron in 1996, and getting one factory reman that had a number of bad exhaust valves 500 hours later, I don't think the factory has it right. Maybe they do now - or maybe it's as much of a crap shoot as it was then.

Anyway, if I were to buy a plane with high time engine/s now, I'd have a boutique shop overhaul them. A shop that paid attention to tolerances and measured well.

If you were brought up on piston engine operations more than five years ago, I'll suggest you read John Deakin's AVWEB columns about the better ways to operate piston engines. These ways are not really new - many of the parameters were noted in the operations of the big radials on the Super Connies and DC-7s.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/39rspq

And if you're seriously inetersted in getting the most of your engines, you'll benefit by taking this course - available on-line:
http://www.advancedpilot.com/

Anything more, head over to the Beech list!

Best - Ron Koyich

m3the01
21st Aug 2007, 21:21
Just saw some very scary repair bills for a 58p, yikes. Those engines are damn expensive i really like the 550's more in terms of cost(about 20k cheaper for new each) and less to go wrong with the airplane.

Trying to stay away, very far away from the turbo and pressurized models.

RE Koyich
22nd Aug 2007, 01:06
Yes, the TC and P engines are pricey, Steve - similar to the Duke engines. But: the speed and noise could be addictive!

My Baron has IO-520s - 550s would be better, and will be what I put on next, assuming I still have the plane when it needs re-engine-ing.

Ron

m3the01
23rd Aug 2007, 18:21
I really cant come to terms with an extra $20k each for each engine for a small increase in speed