PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Atc

NO DELAY EXPECTED
12th Aug 2007, 17:47
I was flying into Vancouver Runway 26R this week in a widebody from the UK and the radar vectoring was pretty bad,this is not a complaint but just an observation based on some of the occasions that I have visited here.
We flew past Stave were kept at 7000 ft then turned at 90 degrees to the center line and descended to 5000 ft and then told to turn for the 26R Localizer at 11 miles and keep 190Kts and descend to 3000 ft.
It wasnt going to work so we asked for more miles......
We were then given a heading of 180 degrees and descent to 2000ft then a few seconds later told to turn onto a heading of 320 degrees and keep 170 kts to Totim and then asked if we were visual for 26R .We were still tight all the way down on the G/S with gear and speedbrake being used and of course auto pilot out and Flight directors off to get it on the profile and stablized by 1000 ft.
This isnt exactly the kind of arrival that you would expect from ATC at an international airport after arriving from a long haul flight.
Is it because ATC are used to smaller aircraft that manoeuvre more easily or is this a know feature at Vancouver ?? Any thoughts or comments ??

cpdude
12th Aug 2007, 20:45
The old YVR slam dunk! They do the same thing to us in the CX 747-400. They don't understand the energy in a heavy and are used to light and turbo-prop aircraft.

spencer101
12th Aug 2007, 22:29
They redesigned the airspace around YVR a few months back and forgot to ask us pilots how it would best work :oh::ugh:

Flying into Victoria is much the same if it is a visual day.

pitotman
13th Aug 2007, 07:19
Yeah I guess they only have twin otters and beavers in Vancouver eh! CX boy please I have been given just as bad rv's in HK.........so spare me the ole swire attitude. Last time I checked YVR has atleast one or two heavy arrivals..........:=

But heh what to I know I only flew 744 in there for 5 years...........

PM

wordstwice
17th Aug 2007, 05:05
The new stars in YVR will make what you just did a normal practice. They are understaffed and overworked in YVR approach and need to have more people qualify therefore they decided to try and make life easier for the arrival controller and have every aircraft come into YVR on a downwind.

Does it works for us? absolutely not, Does it work for ATC? Time will tell but my sources says not so far!
Get used to it, its here to stay.

cpdude
17th Aug 2007, 15:26
pitotman,

Aside from your obvious attitude towards CX, if you were to watch arrivals at YVR and almost any major international airport such as LHR, LAX, HKG or NRT you would notice the majority of arrivals into YVR are light to medium class aircraft. This does not necessarily mean Beavers and Otters but I think you know that and just wanted to be smart!

YVR ATC maneuvers large aircraft like they are 737's or Citation's and they should change that! At the end of a ULH flight the last thing us crews need to deal with is salvaging an approach due to poor vectoring from ATC.

gumbi
17th Aug 2007, 16:38
"Looking at your profile you can't seem to keep a job. Are you not happy or the employer?"

Who's trying to be smart here? ;)

cpdude
18th Aug 2007, 03:04
Who's trying to be smart here?

Your right and it was un-called for so it was retracted.:ouch:

dfish
18th Aug 2007, 03:49
Have there been revisions to all STARS at YVR?

Dave F.

wordstwice
20th Aug 2007, 16:11
pretty much all stars have been revised and many new ones have been created.

cpdude
20th Aug 2007, 17:37
The new STARs are mostly RNAV arrivals which mirror the old arrivals.:)

wordstwice
21st Aug 2007, 05:30
Uhhh...no they dont

The new stars are completely new and have nothing to do with the old STAR's. They are RNAV STAR's though.

Check out the WHISTLER, MEVGO, ISLAND, GRIZZ, PAINE, and CANUCK(26's). These are completely new STAR's and even though some share the old names, they are compeltly different.

John Wayne
21st Aug 2007, 08:32
I had a similar experience going into ZRH yesterday. Must be contageous. Who knows? It is becoming rather common at othterwise busy and well-handled airports.

pitotman
22nd Aug 2007, 05:46
CPdude,
Mate no attitude towards CX at all..........CX is a job! That’s it, no better than AC, WJ, or any other place one sees his or her needs filled. I have friends that like CX and many more that hate it. Some of the best guys I have flown with at AC(744), CAL(744F), or NCA(742F) are ex CX and some of the worst guys I flew with at CAL were CX.........to me it’s a job! I wouldn't put CX down because I have never worked there.....do CX pilots/the old swire boyz think that their poop don't stink........Hell ya! But the last two years have proven that CX is just like any airline and we are all prone to making mistakes.
Ps mate I don't watch arrivals.....I fly them and have flown them to all the airports you mention and continue to do so as little as possible. Then I go home for as long as possible and forget about the job till I have to come back! If you sit around and watch arrivals on your days off .........well God help ya man! Ya need to find a hobby.........may I suggest surfing, skiing, football, or watching beavers land on the river from the Flying beaver.........:D
Hell I'd love to hear your view on going from 55 to 65.........!:oh:

Not that your shot at me warrants a response but here goes......I am guessing that when your career in Canada hit the toilet like mine did in 04' you went for greener pastures (no pun intended). I am an AC pilot who has been on a LOA and decided to go for a 4 year adventure. That way.... I don't sit on my high and mighty chair one day and criticize people or chastise them because they did not work for the likes of CP, AC, or CX. Your a number mate nothing more nothing less. The only reason you enjoy your career at CX and me where ever I choose to sit ...........is a simple little concept called supply and demand.

Does CX give LOA's? Ahhh no..........things that make ya go Hmmmmm

Pitotman

Happy flyin brutha

sec 3
22nd Aug 2007, 08:03
Excellent post pitot, I think that about sums it up to a tee:ok:

c_dub
22nd Aug 2007, 20:08
I fly the small planes into Vancouver, the ones that slow every one else down and the new STARS luckily don't have much effect on us. In fact, I now get Vectors pretty much everywhere I go in their airspace. Our departures however, send us miles off course and add about 5-10 mins to a typically 1 hour flight.