PDA

View Full Version : Recommended ATPL Theory Books

Warped Wings
11th Aug 2007, 12:56
It has been 16 years since I completed my Australian ATPL theory study and I am keen to put my head back in the books and brush up on areas I have not looked at for a long time.

I would like to seek out a what others might thinks is the "definitive" ATPL theory reference. Perhaps a series of books that covers the JAR / CASA syllabus or individual books covering individual subjects such as Aircraft Performance.

Any recommendations for something close to a theory "bible" for airline pilots?

WW

PS Perhaps a sticky in "Tech Log" could be started for recommended reading (books) covering aeronautical theory.

stator vane
11th Aug 2007, 18:20
depends on what you want to study i guess--the maths of the matter, or the practical workings of the beast.
if i were in the mood to spend some money in that area--i honestly would use the books from bristol groundschool in the UK. they are good for instructing the first timers and should be good for a return visit.
if i had money to burn, i would then get the oxford issue of the same subject.
i used them both back in 2002 to study for the JAA ATPL and i am merely waiting for a good excuse to get the updated issues.
honestly--i do not get a commission.
i do have the aerodynamics for naval aviators, which is one of the classics. but which isn't as "rich" as the bristol and oxford. and have seen books that were thick enough to stand on and reach the attic, but i find them too complicated and too many equations.