PDA

View Full Version : Nordic Leisure gound fire in Salminaya Iraq

jetjackel
11th Aug 2007, 10:38
Anyone have any informatiíon about the incident in Saölminaya Iraq concerning possible ground fire at departing Nordic aircraft yesterday or day before.

My information is that Swedish CAA has banned all flights into Iraq by Swedish Registered aircraft.

Thanks

jetjackel

Juud
11th Aug 2007, 13:17
jetjackel, Swedish newspapers give the same info.
Found a related article (http://www.svd.se/dynamiskt/inrikes/did_16627725.asp) in Senska Dagbladet where they quote the manager of the Sulaymaniyya airport.
According to mr Kamaran Ahmed, what the pilots saw were flashes from a large light, like the ones mounted on harvester combines or on the roofs of hunters' cars.

He has been in contact with the Kurdish defense department who say that they have no information indicating any sort of attack had found place.
They have also searched an area of 15 kms around the airport and have found security entirely satisfactory.

The aircraft landed at Arlanda without any visible damage and without the pax having noticed anything of the alleged shooting episode.
FWIW

928s7
11th Aug 2007, 19:48
Maybe the captain mistook his wing strobe lights for a missille explosion. Happens when they put you in the left seat of a md 80 with 2000 hrs total time.

jetjackel
12th Aug 2007, 17:33
Thanks guys,

Everything is possible in Iraq.

jetjackel

mutt
12th Aug 2007, 17:51
Local newspapers in ME are quoting the Iraqi airport authority as saying it didnt happen....... who to believe :):)

Mutt

johnriketes
12th Aug 2007, 21:53
They would say that wouldn't they. I know who I believe and it ain't them.

mini
12th Aug 2007, 23:25
I used to do an evening jog along the runway at Sulimaniyah... they've obviously done a lot of work to it since then... it was a pot holed strip in the middle of a field, no buildings etc.

Sulimaniyah is probably the most "liberal" city in N Iraq. Have good memories of my time there.

ZooWarden
14th Aug 2007, 09:04
Well, did that captain see any trails from tracer bullets? Or its rather just a paranoia? And to put it mildly - it was not wise of them to leave navigation lights on during night-time airborn. :bored:

Its the first time I hear of any ground-to-air shooting in Nothern Iraq. I've been flying there for many years. And so do my buddies. And I am sure - that Swedish captan's report is just a bulls:mad:t.

jetjackel
15th Aug 2007, 19:22
New York Times article by Chris Chivers, on August 14th quotes a Swedish CAA representive, Anders Lundblad, stating that the pilots reported the following to the CAA in their statement:
"pilots have told investigators that they saw the flash and light of a missile rise from the ground, arc near the plane and then drop away as they climbed between 3,000 and 6,000 feet".
Thats a pretty stong sighting......unless imaginary. Tad more than "twinkling lights" sighted on the ground.
Problem now is that someone from the Swedish CAA has to put his/her signature on a document in order for Swedish aircraft to resume service to Iraq.

Viking Airlines is quoted to say they want to resume service asap.

CAA says they are "investigating the incident"......:E

MrBeach
16th Aug 2007, 11:04
I am sorry to say but it is pilots like you we see in the statistics. With no respect for other collegues and worst of all you dont see the danger.

Only one question:

If you are a pilot ( I hope not) then you should know why we use navigationlights. So please, why was it not wise of them to leave it on?

ZooWarden
17th Aug 2007, 16:58
MrBeach: I am sorry to say but it is pilots like you we see in the statistics. With no respect for other collegues and worst of all you dont see the danger.

Only one question:

If you are a pilot ( I hope not) then you should know why we use navigationlights. So please, why was it not wise of them to leave it on?

I've retired. And I respect all my colleagues. There have been nothing personal - apologize for being rude, if it looks so.

In reply on your question: It is not safe to leave navlights on during night-time ops. Neither head lights, nor nav lights. Nothing! Keep all your lights covert. Even while taxi and take-off roll. And what's more - we did max power and then idle several times prior to real take-off roll with all onboard lights off. Until at least 10.000 ft.
I beleive you understand why.

Desert Diner
17th Aug 2007, 17:08

In Iraq:eek:

Tex
21st Aug 2007, 05:18
Sulimaniyah is pretty much non-combat, but I still don't use any lights in-or out of there at night.

M609
21st Aug 2007, 08:38
And someone wonders why the S-CAA won't let aircraft fly into an AD where lights out procedures are essential? :sad:

ZooWarden
21st Aug 2007, 12:04
Well, I don't think S-CAA, as well as Nordic, didn't know of the real situation in Iraq. What? They had been flying there having no even thoughts of what they might encounter there with? Oh, come on! Its battle there! If you decide to start ops to Iraq - it automatically means you at least understand it.
And if you understand it - either you don't fly there at all, or you do fly with all possible precautions and be ready for the worst. IMHO.

P.S. Anyway, I agree with opinion that ORSU is quite peaceful airfield. Comparing with central and southern Iraq, of course.

All the best/