PDA

View Full Version : RT theory exam

mrshoe
10th Aug 2007, 20:16
Every time i prepare for an exam, i always have doubt about whether i will pass or not, have done enough to work for each, should i extend my revision period. One thing that i do do is i go for it when i feel that i can take it, or at least the first attempt.

http://freedom-in-the-air.com/__oneclick_uploads/2007/08/41wf4esy8sl_aa240_.jpg

I knew that i would only have one sortie today and so i stayed at home for an extra, read up again and again my PPL confuser book and AFE questions and answers simplifier book - i like the AFE one more.

I arrived at Cranfield, had a cup of tea, then sat the paper. Post exam, i nervously waited whilst the paper was being marked. To distract me i chatted away to other students, but kept a beedy eye out for the examiner to come through and call me in.

Well, he came over and uttered the words, you PASSED and i got 96%…bloody hell i thought. i use a pencil to mark my answer sheets and during the last 15mins i re read the paper and made what i thought were corrections - i do not finish an exam until the full time has elasped and to correct answers if i think i should.

after this, i went to the cafe and had a sandwich and sat with Simon who is an instructor and was also taught by David Coulson. Everyone i have met during my first week at Cranfield has said that am getting great training at the flying school with David and his team.

Summery of flying after Month 5: http://freedom-in-the-air.com/

35hrs flown - around Hampshire, Derbyshire, Norfolk and Bedfordshire - UK

Exams passed:

Air Law & Procedure 75%
Meteorology 80%
Human Performance and Limitation 100%
Aircraft General and Principles of Flight 86%
Flight Planning and Performance 85%
Radiotelephony Theory 96%

Next week i hope i can be ready to take RT practical and perhaps after a few hours of Navigation excercises i can be better prepared for the theory paper.

tangovictor
11th Aug 2007, 13:17
RT practical, is a bit nerve racking, as its computer based, steering the aircraft by mouse, takes some getting used to, in fact, in my opinion, steering
the damn plane detracts your concentration, from making the correct RT calls
Id ask for some time playing with the computer before taking the exam

PompeyPaul
11th Aug 2007, 15:06
Well done on another pass. It's great as you get to the exams. Just off hand I found the exams in order of difficulty (from hardest to easiest)

Navigation
Air Law
Meteorology
Aircraft Technical
Flight Planning & Performance
Human Performance
Radio Written

I think radio written was the only one I went to the airfield being pretty sure I was going to pass. Human is easy, but then I learnt it from the confuser in one night so I wasn't so sure of the pass.

FPP follows on from aircraft technical, and there's not really that much to it. Aircraft technical is alright apart from Jeremy Pratt doesn't know the difference between mass and weight (although whoever wrote the later chapters does).

Meteorology is a bit touchy feely. Required quite a bit of practice & preperation.

Air law was difficult. Only because it's all so brand new to you and quite a bit to take in. Although even now I'm not totally sure on those aircraft signals (Constant green light from the tower etc - I've got a flare in the aircraft which one do I shoot ?)

Navigation was tough. It's easy enough to miscalculate and I also thought that the whizz wheel didn't have the resolution to accurately calculate some of the answers. I always use the whiz wheel, but for long division an abacus would be better! Sat there wondering if my calculated angle of 78 is closer to 76 or 80. Recalculate and still get 78. Re plot and re draw, still 78. Re calculate still 78. What do you do ? :ugh:

madflyer26
11th Aug 2007, 16:14
Hi G-EMMA,
They certainly aren't, however they should be because as previously said the answers can be a bit ambiguous. It also saves time considerably. I think the mode of thinking dates back to when Douglas Badder types did there flight planning. I would be surprised if any of the airline jocks use the whiz wheel.

tangovictor
12th Aug 2007, 00:00
re calculators, they are so small nowadays, need I say more ?
I know the CX-2 isn't allowed in the UK, a normal calculator ! well I used one
along with the whiz wheel,