PDA

View Full Version : Cheap hour building in Scotland

wrathchild666
10th Aug 2007, 08:08
I am based in central Scotland and having completed my PPL in January am now looking at doing a wee bit hour building, funnily enough as cheap as possible. C150/152 would be perfect. Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 12:11
Try Leading Edge at Cumbernauld. Ask for Allan - he is the owner. Gave me a good block rate on a PA28. Have a number of C150/152s which I am sure he would be happy to do the same with.

Good Luck :ok:

wrathchild666
10th Aug 2007, 14:44
I may well give them a call, but i was actually wondering whether there were any cheap shares going anywhere. Even better for my post-PPL wallet would be a monthly maintenance fee etc and an hourly rate. There has to be something at either Perth, Fife, Cumbernauld or even Dundee? Ironically enough i live 1/2 mile from the threshold of one of the runways at Edinburgh, but paying 18 earth pounds or so per landing doesn't really float my boat.

xrayalpha
10th Aug 2007, 20:44
Hi there,

Why not buy a cheap 150 - there are ones on the aircraft for sale site www.afors.co.uk (http://www.afors.co.uk) at the moment for just under 10k and 11.5k.

Park it outside at Strathaven for 80 quid a month and you can fly to your heart's content with 200 quid for a year's landings there.

Then sell the plane on, or sell shares in it.

Very best,

Colin

Sparky01
11th Aug 2007, 20:26
Diamond Star @ Perth - £125wet incl home landings.
Robin 400 @Leuchars (temp Kingsmuir due rway resurfacing) - £80 wet incl Landings

(Reduction for block rates prob available and both let you take the plane away.)

Kinloss is also v cheap but further away.

Pete Brooks gives a very good deal on T'Hawk block rates @ Inverness

A330 Dreamer
11th Aug 2007, 22:01
bolkow junior based @ prestwick.

£70-£75 wet and £8 per landing.

£8 a landing at international airport = good experience albeit a quiet international airport.

Prestwick Flying Club - 01292 475 583

high-hopes
11th Aug 2007, 22:35
Prestwick Flying Club website also shows 2 Cherokees 140 at £ 75.00 per hour (for members)
You also pay airborne time + 5mins, instead of the 10 you get charged at some other fields....

Landing fee £ 8 is very reasonable for Prestwick, considering that Cumbernauld charge £ 9.60 and you get nothing but grumpy handling and (often) non-existent A/G radio ;)

PH-UKU
12th Aug 2007, 10:40
Also a share available in a Pa28-161 Warrior at Glasgow International. Approx ~£6500, £30 month and £70 an hour. Full IFR with Garmin 430 and twin VOR/ILS, if you want to get that IMC or IR rating. Airfield is open 24hrs (night flying), good very helpful ATC, good R/T and airmanship operating at a busy international airport - mixing with B777s, Airbuses and Twotters !
Admittedly landings are pricey at £25, but you can go off and do circuits at Cumbernauld, Prestwick and Islay. Fuel is cheaper than PIK at £1.23LTR+vat.
You're also a wee bit closer to the west coast delights of Oban, Mull, Skye etc.. than PIK or Cumbernauld. (saves about 15-20min on a round trip ;) ) ... but yes, I know that means you're further from Carlisle or Glenrothes ;) and .... there will be seaplane training available next spring :ok: :ok:
PM me if you want more info

wrathchild666
13th Aug 2007, 08:43
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to get back to me. I now have various interesting options to ponder over. With any luck i'll soon be partaking in some hour building for much cheapness;)

Cheers all