PDA

View Full Version : "Command Bypass Pay" clarification

PNM
9th Aug 2007, 03:37
Ladies, Gents,

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I haven't seen it in any of the threads relating to the upcoming "deal".

When does one qualify for Command Bypass Pay under CoS '99? Section 10.3 states:
"Officers categorised as "Category D" will not be eligible for Command Bypass Pay."
If I'm the most senior F/O and one captain extends past 55:

Do I get bypass pay immediately ( I don't think so)?
Do I get it as back pay after passing the course?
Do I get it when passing the 3-bar check?
Do I get it when categorised as anything other the "Category D", and given that categorisation doesn't seem to be announced until just before a course date - do I then get back bay?
Potentially having to support my family in HK for an extra three to five years on F/O pay - this is a very important point for me and others who don't already have 4-bars.

stillalbatross
9th Aug 2007, 21:23
Haven't had a good look at it yet but I would be surprised if it was that easy for an f/o who is potentially looking at 14 years plus to command to turn around and stay on the old COS and get bypass pay for 5-7 years for it. That would be a large oversight for the company especially as so few get bypass pay now.

cpdude
9th Aug 2007, 22:22
Bottom line...they'll give it to someone to prove bypass pay is actually paid but consider it winning the lottery!

Most will never meet all of the conditions and be in the right place at the right time!:bored:

XCX-SOHAPPY
9th Aug 2007, 23:14
Me best mate just said that EK will conduct "open interviews" in Hong Kong next month.

The event will be conducted at the Novotel in Tung Chung.

I guess they saw the deal and see that they can steal a couple experienced Cathay guys.

Glass Half Empty
9th Aug 2007, 23:17
please publish the dates when known

XCX-SOHAPPY
9th Aug 2007, 23:39
I will try.

greencandreaming
10th Aug 2007, 01:04
To get around this the Company will simply Cat B everyone ,

They are that vindictive to anybody who takes 50 cents out of there 4 million dollar bonus ,

PNM
10th Aug 2007, 14:26
jizz, does that mean if the delay to command is four years, and they cat A you two weeks before your course, you are entitled to 2 weeks bypass pay only (i.e. you were only an eligible candidate for two weeks)?

CoS '99 specifically mentions that you are ineligible if you are cat D.

Can anyone confirm this?

Captain TOGA
10th Aug 2007, 14:31
As to quote the late "yes man", the answer would a simple "yes".

BTW, what the hell is a "Jizzmonkey"?

Saturn
10th Aug 2007, 15:34
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Guru
11th Aug 2007, 16:38
Am I correct in thinking they would only assess n number of FOs when they need n number of captains in the near future?
If that is the case, even if I stay on CoS99, I would only be assessed within a few months of a course date, making me eligible for bypass pay for just 2-3 months. This means what I get in return for an extra 3+ years as an FO is 2-3 months of bypass pay.

3x12x(difference between SFO X and CN 1 monthly pay) versus 2 or 3 x the difference in CoS99 monthly pay

mmm.......

Loopdeloop
17th Aug 2007, 10:48
The CoS are very specific on bypass pay. If you're cat "D" or decline a command course then you don't get it. If you're neither of the above then you do. Many people are now questioning whether the company are being honest with their payment of bypass pay and I suggest that everyone who's interested write to the AOA to ask them for clarification. ie. "I would like to know how many captains have been extended and how many F/O's are currently being paid bypass pay".
I've tried asking the question a couple of times but have been batted off the first time and ignored the second. The more people who ask then the harder it is to ignore. I think that they don't see the importance of it the same way that I do!

Peebee and Jay
17th Aug 2007, 11:48
Yeah, let us have the dates ASAP please!

Near Miss
17th Aug 2007, 12:04
If you are interested why don't you just ring EK and ask them? Are they actually coming or is it just a rumour? Surely not on this site!?!?!? :eek:

Hkgdriver
17th Aug 2007, 13:29
Gents bypass Pay is being paid to a considerable amount of F/O's being Cat B does not make you lose the payment. Basically every F/O who is getting paid bypass pay is in this category anyway so please have another look at your contract JizzMonkey.

You only have to go up to the third floor and ask if you really are so concerned about it.:ugh: