PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough 'British Rail' LARS route

On Glide
8th Aug 2007, 13:50
Hi!

I'd like to get more familiar with the 'British Rail' route through the Farnborough LARS area - can anyone in the know let me know whether it has defined start and end points? I'd like to use the route to go from Popham to Redhill and vice versa. I had a surf on the AIS website but couldn't find any relevant info.

Cheers, On Glide

Fg Off Max Stout
8th Aug 2007, 14:40
I'm not sure whether there's any official documentation on the route, but effectively it starts and ends where the railway enters and leaves Farnborough's zone. Going westbound they'll coordinate with Odiham and hand you over. They're always helpful and following railways is the only way to nav!

chevvron
9th Aug 2007, 08:20
Basically it's the main line from Basingstoke to Woking; by following this, you'll be clear of circuit traffic at Odiham and Blackbushe hence it's a convenient line feature; you won't be clear of Farnborough circuit traffic but you might be asked to climb to 2400ft if there's likely to be a confliiction. It's actually a carry over from the days of helicopter route H1, which followed the railway line past Woking via Sandown Park Racecourse through the Heathrow Zone.

fireflybob
9th Aug 2007, 09:58
Farnborough 'British Rail' LARS route

Should that not be "Network Rail" now?

On Glide
9th Aug 2007, 10:22
Thanks for the info.

OG