PDA

View Full Version : Bristow Photos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

C.C.C.
2nd Mar 2010, 06:22
Post N0. 1248 'China bar'......

Is that Steve Ford ??????
No, but it is Steve Forde.

Steve Ford was due to join us on the S92A at EGPM. He has recently been suitably recognised by the Devon Air Ambulance Trust - DAAT News (http://www.daat.org/news/Steve+Ford+Airbase+Officially+Opened/)

spinwing
2nd Mar 2010, 08:21
Mmmmm ...

Barry Asquith ..... 1987 or 88 Aerogulf Dubai I think .... it all comes back ... (usually to haunt me) ...

....... eventually :(

Ainippe
2nd Mar 2010, 12:28
The last photo shows a Twin Pin and a what i believe to be a 12E4 not the 12E shown in previous pictures(sorry i am a spotter) you can tell by the double doors in the last picture.

not meaning to be pedantic :p

Tony Mabelis
2nd Mar 2010, 15:07
You are not pedantic,........not when you are correct!!
Well done, you win the tube of skin cream for spotted spotters!
.Tony

Fareastdriver
2nd Mar 2010, 15:13
Post N0. 1248 'China bar'......

Is that Steve Ford ??????

That is Steve Forde, beside him is Doogal Douglas, RIP.
The site where the China Beach was has been redeveloped and the area is now occupied by a Starbucks.

The whole square has changed.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/fareastdriver/Picture054.jpg

Dave Ed
2nd Mar 2010, 17:11
AJ seems up to speed converting his Warri Texaco movies into MPEGS. Four more.......!

Xqe5-g4auWI&feature=channel

oo9QUrO_raI&feature=channel

-LZTh7a0JwU&feature=channel

asw22x_w2ZM&feature=channel

Dave Ed
2nd Mar 2010, 17:45
Rumour has it Bristows has a small satellite operation somewhere north of Watford.....

At its peak, approximately, 45 medium / large helicopters
were operating out of Aberdeen averaging 50 - 60 flights
per day and a record of 86 flights one Christmas.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/abbs1.jpg

Around 28 in this pic...........

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/abbs2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/abbs3.jpg

In 1989, the Bristow passenger terminal was handling around 40,000 per month.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/abbs4.jpg

Beryl-A. One of the many rigs served from Aberdeen

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/abbs5.jpg

ken knight
3rd Mar 2010, 08:11
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/th_1972.jpg

First attempt at posting a pic. This was taken when there was only one hanger at Aberdeen with G-AZRF and possibly G-AZNE on a gearbox change outside the hanger. We used to operate from wartime lollipops down the peritrack and Davie Parker had a message bike to carry the tool boxes to the helicopters.

Dave B
3rd Mar 2010, 12:12
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/MountKenya/Helicopters9.jpg?t=1267621175Some of the local crew at Port Harcourt in the seventies, the guy in the status symbol dust jacket was lambert Abali. Lambert was well regarded by the BHL management, as he stayed at his post during the Biafran war, and looked after some of the aircraft that had been left behind when the expatriates were forced to leave.

Dave B
3rd Mar 2010, 12:22
The guy on the Right in the white overalls was Ben, he was by far the best local, and was as good with his hands as any expatriate. We lost him however for about three months, when he was convinced that his stomach trouble was caused by a Black magic curse that somebody had put on him. We got him back when my wife took a driver, and went out to his village, and told him there was no such thing as Black Magic, and if he did not come back ,he and his family would starve.
He was so impressed that we had taken time out to look into his welfare, that he came back, and we never had any more trouble with him.
Nigeria was like that, probably still is.

dicky j
3rd Mar 2010, 13:00
Fascinating post....great to see my old mate Jeremy Wright (rip)downing a few in Eket. I remember staying with him in Trinidad...memories of the 'Pelican' and Galeota. Also jump seating with him back in 1974...took me all the way to Sumburgh via Wagga Wagga 1 (i think )

Dave Ed
3rd Mar 2010, 17:15
Dave,
A most appropriate post #1274 that leads-in nicely to the next one I was working on......
“Some of the local crew at Port Harcourt in the seventies, the guy in the status symbol dust jacket was lambert Abali. Lambert was well regarded by the BHL management, as he stayed at his post during the Biafran war, and looked after some of the aircraft that had been left behind when the expatriates were forced to leave”

Lambert Abali is mentioned in the article.He must have been busy!! Ded

I was going to post just the pics from this article but the Bristow Biafran story is so interesting, as is the whole book (Shadows), that I thought I would go with the original skyweaver article.

Biafran War - How it affected Bristows Nigeria.

The following article was put together using extracts from Michael Draper's book "Shadows" which describes fully the aviation aspects of the Nigerian Civil War.
My thanks go to Mike for giving his permission to use the material.
Mike acknowledges a few Bristow personnel who provided information for the book :- Jim Wilde, Tony Mabelis, 'Jock' MacCaskel and Ian Mcleod.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction.

Bristow Group's first ever oil industry support related contract was awarded by the Shell D'Arcy Company of Nigeria in the mid-1950's. Nigerian operations still thrive today (2010) but working in Nigeria has never been for the faint hearted with governments changing hands every few years not via the ballot box but a generally peaceful coup d'etat. The following article details how the Nigerian Civil War affected Bristow's operations at the time and what became of the aircraft. It is another prime example of almost forgotten Bristow history!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bristow operations and Biafran secession.

The build up to the Nigerian Civil War as with so many wars stretched back over many years and covered many aspects which I could not possibly cover in this article but it came as no surprise when, in the early hours of Tuesday, May 30,
1967, the Eastern state of Nigeria declared that it was to become the independent State of Biafra with immediate effect.

At the time of secession Bristows had eleven helicopters committed to oil support work, all technically based at Port Harcourt. These involved two Westland Whirlwind Srs.3, four Hiller 360 UH12Es and five Westland Widgeons, all of which were semi-permanently allocated to the three oil companies Shell-BP, AMOSEAS and Mobil.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra1.jpg

Shell had, in fact, ceased its operations from Port Harcourt during late April 1967 and moved to Ughelli in the Mid-West. Accordingly, Bristows had also deployed the two Hiller UH-12Es, 5N-ABY and 5N-AGE to Ughelli, although both were technically based at Port Harcourt for routine maintenance etc. The two Widgeons, 5N-ABV and 5N-ABW, both of which were allocated to Shell-BP were being held in reserve and were therefore kept, out of use, at PH.

In many respects the declaration of secession did little, at first, to hamper Bristows' operation. The company continued to ferry supplies to and from the offshore rigs albeit these flights were now being made under the watchful eyes of the Federal Nigerian Navy as it began to police a blockade of Eastern ports. But on no occasion did the Nigerian Navy attempt to interfere with Bristows activities in supporting the oil rigs. In fact the only restriction placed upon the company came from the Biafrans. That involved a ban flying across the border into the neighbouring Mid-West Region. The reason being for this ban was more from a fear of helicopters being able to fly Nigerian "spies" back into Biafra unnoticed, than for any other reason.

Bristows, however, did take some precautionary measures. Within a week of secession the company decided to evacuate employees' wives and families, together with some of the oil companys' families. The Biafran Army did allow these flights to take place but still insisted that none should cross the border into Federal Nigeria. Bristows argued their case and questioned the ban while at the same time helicopters had been allowed to cross the border in order to support oil operations at Ughelli. These flights certainly meant crossing the state border.

The Biafrans relented and allowed evacuation flights to head for Ughelli. Because of their larger capacity Bristows used their two Whirlwinds (5N-AGI and 5N-AGK) for these evacuation flights, the first of which was made by 5N-AGK, on 8th June, 1967. Then, amidst a growing nervousness within the Biafran Army, clearance for the cross border flights was refused and all further flights flew only to the eastern banks of the river Niger. From there evacuees were taken across to Federal territory by boat and completed their journeys to Lagos aboard helicopters based on the Federal side. In consideration of the shorter flight time to the border, and the fact that the mood swings of the local Biafran Army commander were becoming increasingly erratic, Bristows supplemented the Whirlwinds with two of the Widgeons.

In spite of the increasingly delicate political and military situation existing during this period, Shell still found time to recognise the effort put in by Bristow Helicopters in evacuating non-essential personnel to the border by hosting a small dinner during the evening of 14th June. All air and ground crews attended. Even better news followed the next morning when one of Bristow's pilots, flying a Whirlwind to the border, succeeded in quietly collecting the first mail to reach Port Harcourt since the country declared independence. Under considerable secrecy ground crews delivered the mail around the base throughout the day.

The main discussion topic at the Shell-Bristow dinner had been to question how long the helicopters could continue to be operated with any degree of normality before they, and the pilots, would have to be evacuated. Having just witnessed the expulsion of Aero Contractors, Bristows took a decision, by the end of the evening, to fly out at the earliest opportunity, all those personnel not directly involved in flying operations. There were obvious difficulties, especially as the Biafran Army had become increasingly nervous over any movements at the airport, but some personnel were flown out under the cover of normal flights. The most obvious sign of Biafran nerves becoming dangerously stretched had occurred earlier in the day and had involved the Bristow Helicopters' Riley Dove (5N-AGF), which normally operated for Shell, out of Port Harcourt.

For some time rumours had persisted that a seaborne assault by Federal troops against the island of Bonny was imminent. Indeed, some local reports even talked of a build-up of Nigerian ships just outside the proposed landing area. Of course, the Biafrans had no real way of confirming such reports until the morning of 14th June 1967 when the first act of aggressive interference took place. The Biafran Army ordered a Bristows' pilot to take a group of officers aboard the Riley Dove and undertake a coastal reconnaissance sortie.

The flight headed east to Calabar and then turned back to cover the entire coastal area, over Bonny oil terminal and further west over Brass and the Niger delta. Bristows' pilot was then ordered to fly northwards along the river Niger to a point beyond Onitsha. The pilot had had little alternative but to make the flight as had the group of very nervous soldiers on board, some of whom were clearly making their first flights in an aeroplane. None of those aboard saw any sign of an impending invasion although, back at Port Harcourt, the pilot did comment quietly to colleagues that the oil terminal at Bonny was unusually congested with ships awaiting clearance.

The fighting starts: Bristow Helicopters evacuate.

The first shots of the Nigerian Civil War were fired just after 05:00 hours on 6th July, 1967; they were not, as the Biafrans had expected, fired from the sea but in the rugged and hilly terrain of the north, at a point near Okaja. Despite the outbreak of fighting along Biafra's northern border, and the likelihood that it could eventually develop into a full scale civil war, Bristows continued to fly in support of Mobil from Port Harcourt (and to a lesser degree in support of Shell), albeit flying was now on a much reduced scale.

The Biafrans continued to believe that an assault would be launched from the south and saw the Nigerian "police action" in the north as simply a diversionary measure. On 8th July, and as if to underline this fear, the Biafran Army marched into Bristow's offices and produced a government order declaring that all normal flying duties were to cease. Furthermore, and from immediate effect according to the same declaration, all helicopters and crews were to be placed at the Army's disposal for the purpose of reconnaissance flights. The crews did attempt to put up some resistance and argued that British subjects working within Biafra were not to be molested or hindered in carrying out their normal duties in accordance with a previous order. But the nerve of the Army commander for Port Harcourt had finally cracked to such a degree that he had now begun to turn a deaf ear to orders from above. The situation facing Bristow Helicopters did not recommend a prolonged dialogue and so, and in fear for their own safety, Bristow's personnel began immediate preparations for their own evacuation.

Even at this late stage, Bristows still had some six helicopters at Port Harcourt, plus two Hiller 360s (5N-ABY and 5N-AGE) that had been detached to the Shell-BP field at Ughelli, in the Mid-West State, although these were considered to be well out of the danger area. Since the stoppage in oil production the need for this number of helicopters had reduced and several of those based at Port Harcourt (including Widgeon 5N-ABW and Whirlwind 5N-AGI) had already been flown out to the safety of the offshore rigs before the Biafran Army could ground them. The Hiller 360 5N-ABZ (which had sustained damage at a storage tanker offshore from Escravos on 26th May, but had been speedily repaired at Port Harcourt during the early days of Biafran independence) had also been flown out of Biafra , to the offshore Rig 52. In the meantime Bristows curtly refused to undertake any more support flights on behalf of the Biafran Army and for ten days the Biafrans stopped the company from making any further flights.

Eventually, on 18th July, Bristows received the final order to move all remaining personnel out to four offshore rigs: Rig 52 (AMOSEAS), Rig 59 (Mobil), the Sedco Rig (Shell), and the large Oceanmaster rig (Mobil), for safety. Three helicopters were allowed, by the Biafran Army, to shuttle the last seventy oilmen out of Port Harcourt; among the last flights involved Hiller 5N-AGB to the Mobil Rig 59, while Widgeon G-APTE made for the nearer Oceanmaster rig. The final departure from Biafra was made by the Whirlwind 5N-AGK, flown by Mike Ratcliffe, and which also made for the Oceanmaster.

Unfortunately three of the Widgeons (5N-ABV, 5N-AGA and 5N-AGL, all of which were fitted with standard undercarriage, ie non-flotation gear) had to be left behind at Port Harcourt, together with Riley Dove 5N-AGF. Although a handful of Bristows' personnel did remain at PH for several more weeks until they too were evacuated, by road to the Nigerian border, there was really no scope for retrieving the abandoned equipment. The Biafran Air Force had become considerably larger as a result.

After Bristow Helicopters had evacuated the Port Harcourt area, the company set about re-establishing its Nigerian oil support network. AMOSEAS, which had been one of five companies exploring the Eastern Region , stopped all operations during July 1967. This allowed the Bristow Whirlwind 5N-AGI, which had been ferried to one of the offshore rigs and later flown to Lagos with a number of evacuees, to be flown on to Cotonou to await a decision on its future.(In fact it was flown back to UK, arriving at Gatwick 17/10/67 before completing the journey to Redhill).

The ex-AMOSEAS Hiller UH-12E 5N-ABZ, together with the Mobil Hiller 5N-AGB, were flown from the temporary base aboard Rig 52 to Santa Isabel Airport on Fernando Poo where a new maintenance base was set up by Bristows and for continued support operations for those rigs offshore between the island and the Nigerian coast. Shortly afterwards it was decided to replace the Hillers with Whirlwinds and so the two redundant Hillers were flown back to Rig 52 for a "lazy" ferry back to Lagos, the rig being towed back to the capital for maintenance. The Hillers were then prepared for air-freighting back to Redhill, UK.

The Abandoned Ones!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra3.jpg

Of the three former Bristow Helicopters' Widgeons, two were most definitely flown by the Biafran Air Force, the exception being 5N-ABV which is known to have suffered "on ground" damage at Port Harcourt, the incident occurring shortly after its acquisition when a Biafran Air Force pilot tried to get the helicopter airborne. A second Widgeon, 5N-AGL, was used by Biafran forces for a while and flown to the Udi helicopter base but was later wrecked during a heavy landing near Uli airstrip during early 1968. A post war examination of the wreckage suggested that the pilot had clearly lost control, probably as a result of inexperience with the sophisticated nature of the helicopter's gear interchange between the main and tail rotors. This explanation was supported by the fact that when Bristows' personnel later inspected the damaged main rotor blades they still retained earth deposits on the leading edge of the blade tips.

Widgeon 5N-AGA had a more dramatic end after it was captured intact when the Federal Nigerian Army 1st Division overran Biafra's base at Udi during January 1968. The Widgeon had been abandoned by fleeing Biafrans but surprisingly it was still in flying condition. It had clearly been used by the Biafran Air Force although no attempt had been made to remove the standard Bristow colour scheme or the registration marks. After a brief hover flight test flight it was ferried, by the South African mercenary Ares Klootwyk, from Udi to Enugu on 2nd February and then from Enugu to Makurdi, via Oturkpo on the following day. Four days later, on 7th February 1968, the same pilot ferried 5N-AGA from Makurdi to Benin and on to Lagos/Ikeja. At that stage, and firmly denying that it had any connections with a former Bristow Helicopters' Widgeon, the Nigerian Air Force impressed the helicopter into service with a fresh repaint. By 14th February 5N-AGA had been transposed into NAF510 and operated for a while with the Nigerain Air Force until..............

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra6.jpg

Apart from the helicopters impounded at Port Harcourt the Biafrans did gain access to two Hiller 360s, both of which were operated by Bristows on behalf of Shell-BP from Ughelli in the Mid-West region - in an area initially thought to be quite safe. During the early hours of 9th August 1967 the Biafran Army had launched a dramatic attack across the river Niger and into the Mid-West region.
The assault, in brigade strength, made astonishing progress in its advance so much so that by dusk on the same day almost the entire region had been captured, including the southern parts of Sapele and Warri and the oil complex at Ughelli.

Such was the speed of the Biafran attack that workers at Ughelli simply fled in sheer panic. Bristow's two Hiller 360s (5N-ABY and 5N-AGE) were on the Ughelli helipad at the time of the attack; there was simply not the time available to fly them out to safety. An attempt to disable them was made, even as Biafran soldiers began to enter the outer parts of the complex, when a local mechanic, Lambert Abali, ran out to the helipad and "with the aid of a spanner, put 5N-AGE out of action". Within two hours of Abali's action both Hillers were in the hands of advancing Biafran soldiers.

Curiously neither of the two Ughelli-based helicopters were ever used by the Biafran Air Force and when the Biafrans were later forced out of the region, both Hillers remained exactly as they had been abandoned.

For the remainder of the war Bristows continued to provide the oil companies with helicopter support from bases outside the area of conflict. A new base was established, during July 1967, at Santa Isabel airport, on the island of Fernando Poo, for operations in support of Mobil while logistical support for Shell was later re-established from Ughelli.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra8.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra7.jpg

After Biafran forces had been pushed out of the Mid-West region, Shell was able to re-start its operations there and a new support contract was signed with Bristow Helicopters on 15th December 1967. With renewed access to the area Bristows were able to inspect the two Hillers (5N-ABY and 5N-AGE) that had been abandoned some four months earlier. Their serviceability state was obviously suspect especially as neither had been inhibited, such was the speed of the Biafran advance. In fact 5N-AGE was found to be still in flyable condition but the other Hiller was in clear need of repair and maintenance. In order to resume operations with minimum of delay the ex AMOSEAS Hiller (5N-ABZ), which was still at Lagos awaiting shipment to the UK (but not yet crated), was flown to Ughelli in December 1967 to replace the damaged 5N-ABY.

Shortly afterwards the other Hiller at Lagos (5N-AGB), and which had been crated, was unpacked and flown to Ughelli to supplement the other two helicopters. All three helicopters operated from Ughelli until February 1968 when the first Jet Ranger (G-AVSW/5N-AHM) arrived in Nigeria to replace Hiller 5N-ABZ. A second Jet Ranger (G-AWFV/5N-AHN) arrived at Ughelli shortly afterwards to replace Hiller 5N-AGE. Apart from a very brief period during the summer of 1968, when the Jet Rangers were temporarily grounded with engine suppressor problems, the Hillers were crated and finally returned to the UK.

When Bristows established its new base at Santa Isabel there was no need for those helicopters transferred there to be registered in Nigeria. The Whirlwind 3 5N-AGK was therefore restored to the British registry, as G-ASOU. The use of British registrations, rather than Nigerian, was also seen as avoiding any diplomatic disadvantage with the rather unpredictable Spanish Equatorial Guinea authorities. Subsequently, during August 1967, a second Whirlwind 3, G-AOCZ, was sent out from the UK. Both Whirlwinds operated from Santa Isabel in float-undercarriage configuration.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Biafra/Biafra2.jpg
End.
The result of many years of research, “Shadows” describes fully for the first time the aviation aspects of the Nigerian Civil War. Biafra's motley mix of antiquated and modern aircraft was acquired through various dubious and clandestine channels. Despite being landlocked for most of the war Biafra held out, its only link to the outside world being an air bridge to a converted bush airstrip deep in the Biafran heartland. The strip supported an amazing airlift of arms and food - the largest civilian relief airlift in history - which, for almost 18 months kept a nation alive. The book tracks the aircraft and men that took part and is a story that waited 30 years to be told.

The full title of the book is : Shadows - Airlift and Airwar in Biafra and Nigeria 1967-1970 and still available, I believe, if you Amazon it.

I bought it – a good read. D ed.

Ainippe
4th Mar 2010, 07:24
Lambert is still alive and well and still goes into work 2 or 3 days a week.:ok:

Satcop
4th Mar 2010, 11:39
Here are a few pics from the days of special events.

Finmere Heliport

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/Finmere%202004/z.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/Finmere%202004/Finmere7.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/Finmere%202004/GCX-5.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/Finmere%202004/GBJGX3.jpg

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/Finmere%202004/S76-S61Finmere2004.jpg

ken knight
4th Mar 2010, 12:33
Training course for engineers at Redhill 1972?. From left to right.
Davie Parker, Ken Clarke, Steve Cooper?, Pete Holland, Alan Ross, John Thurley, Sandy Ogilvie, Neil Smith, Ken Knight, Alan (half a job) Whitfield, Alan Arklass. Next two were from Greenland Air sadly one was killed in an accident a few years later. Lastly Sikorsky instructor Glen Magoon.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/TrainingCourse.jpg?

Ainippe
4th Mar 2010, 12:58
Blimey the whole of the Blackburn mafia in one picture - well almost :ok:

rick1128
4th Mar 2010, 14:46
Dave,

I was there last year at this time and if anything it is probably worst. Especially in Port Hardcourt. In Benin, I saw what looked like several Widgeons parked next to a hangar. They looked like they had been there for quite awhile.

ken knight
4th Mar 2010, 15:18
None of the Blackburn Mafia appear in this pic, in fact they may not have joined the comapny at this time but there is what could be classed as an "understudy"

Dave Ed
4th Mar 2010, 19:04
Dave Higgins collection (all 2002 unless stated)

Dave sent me a CD of decent pics a few years ago – makes a change from the low resolution stuff I have been sucking off the website CD.
Notes are from Dave H.

Bell 214ST G-BFKN taken on Erskine platform North Sea.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH1.jpg

S61 G-BGWJ disembarking passengers on an Aberdeen hotspot.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH2.jpg

Alex Frow consults his map on Erskine platform.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH3.jpg

Dave Higgins about to start AS332L G-TIGB prior to a rig flight.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH4.jpg

Dennis Pearson and Mike Langford.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH5.jpg

Edward Waterhouse in thoughtful mode, Aberdeen flight planning.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH6.jpg

BFKN cockpit.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH7.jpg

BFKN on Erskine platform.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH8.jpg

BMCX lifting into the hover for an underslung job.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH9.jpg

BWWI on spot 1 Aberdeen.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH10.jpg

Graham Chiverton and Alex Frow briefing for underslung job.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH11.jpg

TIGB disembarking passengers on Brittania platform. North Sea.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH12.jpg

Simulator instructor Keith Loosely flies an approach in Tiger simulator at Aberdeen, not bad for a Nimrod pilot.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH13.jpg

Simon Platt enjoying a coffee in a Tiger.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH15.jpg

Simon Sorrell and Julie Pearman landing on The Mearsk Endurer.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Dave%20Higgins/DH16.jpg

Dave Ed
5th Mar 2010, 19:12
Maybe Trinidad.......

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/212sunset.gif

stacey_s
6th Mar 2010, 04:36
sorry Dave that one definately Eket Nigeria

Stacey

Dave Ed
6th Mar 2010, 06:35
Yep, I think you're right on that one Stacey.

I thought the palm trees looked like Palmus Trinidadius whereas, having a second look, they are obviously the Palmus Nodoubtekitus species.:)

Thridle Op Des
6th Mar 2010, 06:39
The other clue was the Eketus Chainlinkfencus, a well known sub-species (though it does look as if there is an HF whip poking out the front of the 212 - maybe a hair - not a feature of the regular fleet)

stacey_s
6th Mar 2010, 09:00
The chain link fence did it for me spent many-a-day riding the Ossa trials bike around it looking for a hole to escape from!! could quite muster up the nerve to do a Steve Mcqueen, ala the great escape!! I seem to remember they all had Spinlebury Tindal HF's then with the whip arial and YX being the first one on-site with the (cant remember the name) wire down the tailboom, I remember doing the ferry across the Sahara with Bob Roffe.

Stacey

Dave Ed
6th Mar 2010, 16:18
Bristow sports

Apart from operating helicopters and drinking in bars, Bristows staff were a force to be reckoned with in the sporting world. From Uckers to Duck Racing we led the way.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports6.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Sports7.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20sports/Duckrace.jpg

Where has time gone? Now I'm looking forward to retirement!!

Dave Ed
7th Mar 2010, 17:55
Just returned from watching footy at neighbours - this post is under the influence of alcahol, so allowance should be made for any spellink mistakes.

I am a fan of black and white photography.
These pics from CPI Duri.

This pic confuses my sense of perspective!!
There doesn't seem to be any anything in the picture affected by the downwash as per the following pics. The workers don't seem affected by a 205 hovering close-by

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/CPIDuri1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/CPIDuri2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/CPIDuri3.jpg

...and this is a excellent pic, in my opinion!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/CPIDuri4.jpg

parabellum
7th Mar 2010, 19:39
Re the third picture down. The mud tank was regarded as the 'difficult' lift, it wasn't very aerodynamic(!) and it was heavy, note doors off.

(When the operation started at Duri in 1968 we had the first civilian B205s but the engines were for the 204, the bigger engines all went to Vietnam at that time)

Oldlae
8th Mar 2010, 08:34
Duri,
As the a/c are on the Bermudan reg, these photos must be the very early days of the operation. The 205A has the T53-11 Lycoming, fitting the -13 makes the a/c a 205A-1.

parabellum
8th Mar 2010, 10:34
Found this:

VR-BCN Bell 205A 30003 N4023G,VR-BCN,PK-HBA · · · · · » [w/o]

The aircraft were transferred to the Indonesian register about mid November, 1968.

Dave Ed
8th Mar 2010, 15:55
As the sun has just set in Cyprus, and a nice bottle of Merlot opened - an appropriate sunset pic.
No doubt someone will reckon it's a sunrise - in that case I am drinking too early in the day!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/CPI%20Duri/durisunset.jpg

laurent gasselin
8th Mar 2010, 20:39
Hello John Whales, I'm Laurent Gasselin, son of Jacques, I'm looking for picture photo or paper of his pro job during those 40 years passed ? And I'm very glad to see this page (from you but coming from Nick Bill on facebook) Many thanks. I'm on facebook with other pictures.... Do youhave an history ? If yes how can we meet ? My father his arround 70 years old and I wanted to do a big birthday sometime before .....

Thanks many thanks your site

all the best
Laurent

PS: I went to UNST on 1994 before he left.
:)

Tail-take-off
9th Mar 2010, 20:09
Hi Laurent

Welcome to pprune. There is lots of information & photos here from Jacques era at Bristow Helicopters including some of Unst on page 8. Perhaps you might like to show him the pictures here &, if he has any of his own, post them here for us to enjoy.

Ask Jacques about the lightening strike he had while flying from the Ninian to Unst one winters night causing one rotor blade to fly about 60 cm out of track causing a massive vibration. I understand Jacques considered ditching the aircraft but on seeing the size of the waves decided to nurse the aircraft back to Unst.

TTO

Alan Biles
10th Mar 2010, 14:22
Dave Ed,

Sunrise, Duri, new hangar. IMHO of course.

Ainippe
10th Mar 2010, 14:28
Looks like an early morning at Redhill:)

Dave Ed
10th Mar 2010, 18:19
Improvisation

Have you noticed that most of the "heavy" major component failures/scheduled replacements are never within range of a hangar with an overhead crane.

If I remember rightly, didn't a 212 get dropped by a crane during a skid change in the one of the Northern Isles contracts UK. Came back to Redhill for straightening!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Improvisation6.jpg

Dave Ed
10th Mar 2010, 18:51
Coming soon........when I get time!

Just when I was about to wind down the skyweaver website, I was really lucky enough to end up in the Amazon delta with a Bristow Tiger and thankfully some excellent pilots and engineers.

It was a rare situation in Bristow history where someone actually recorded an operation from start to finish.

There are 50 odd pics in this collection and it covers the operational aspects, the enviroment, an S61N, Tiger, S76 and Bandeirante, bars and most importantly the people who helped us and worked with us.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Amapa/Amapatrailer.jpg

There are many Bristow pictures still lurking in filing cabinets and under desks at Redhill. As managements change over the years the company history gets diluted and forgotten.
There are three "guardians of the Bristow Pics" who make sure they do not end up in a skip during another meanlingless office reorganisation.

Me, LS and SR.

Plans are afoot to get the pics scanned, posted and saved!
More soon.

TipCap
10th Mar 2010, 22:18
Hi Laurent

As TTO said, welcome to PPrune.

You can also ask your Dad about AB206A EP-HAR. It was before my time at Bahregan

John

stacey_s
11th Mar 2010, 03:09
Correct! Malcom ('Stumpy') Innes and a nearly new 212, about 350hrs total time, droped off a crane when the crane mechanism failed during an undercarriage change/inspection, lucky for Stumpy he had just got out from underneath the machine!! all happened in the canvas hangar on the Isle of Skye circa 1982 ish.

Stace

Dave B
11th Mar 2010, 16:10
Malcom Innes was badly affected by that accident, it didn't help when JD decided to rob the complete twin pack from his aircraft to fit to a leased 212 that would pass its power assurance checks, but would not climb.
Malcoms aircaft entered Redhill with all the numbers matching, and left with part lifed items.

Dave Ed
11th Mar 2010, 16:21
This weeks competition....................who, where and why!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Iran/iran206cowl.jpg

Dave Ed
11th Mar 2010, 16:52
Dave B,

The second question in this weeks competition.

In 1985, if you bought a Bell212 from another operator and wanted to put it on the North Sea. How many Bristow mods would it take to bring it up to "North Sea Standard" ?

If I remember rightly it was like painting the Forth Bridge trying to standardise offshore 212s. Three different autopilots for a start!

Often, 212s would be passing through Redhill for a "quick" check 2 and leaving six months later after having engine decks, lift beams, and usually the whole tailboom replaced.

These pics might bring back memories / nightmares.
This is my current project. Although it is an ex Gulf Helicopters machine, we ripped out about thirty old Bristow mods to be replaced by 30 new Bristow mods!!! The saga continues :bored:

My own worst memory was that awesome nightshift on G-BJZS when 12 avionics were trying to complete 72 items in the handover diary so the aircraft could fly the next day.
We nearly achieved it if it hadn't been for the incident where "Smokey" shorted out the battery bus panel, causing a fire in the centre console and one of the sheeties jettisoning a fire extinguisher into the pedestal:{
I was dreading telling JD the next morning BUT he took it well saying "I had a dream..........!!!!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/ZK206/Lotsofwork.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/ZK206/Spaghetti.jpg

Fareastdriver
11th Mar 2010, 20:45
Dave Ed

A classic picture. It sums up Bristows in toto.

Dave B
12th Mar 2010, 16:09
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/MountKenya/Alasker212.jpg?t=1268413592Dave
There was no such thing as a standard 212, especially buying used. We had one being flown by an experienced Pilot, who said the tail controls were too stiff. When we opened it up, we found the Automatic Flight Control SI, which nobody had seen before.
Pictured is a typical purchase, this aircraft first went through Redhill, being converted to a water bomber, on its way to Australia.
A couple of years later, I got a phone call saying, "can you go to Fairbanks California to look at a 212", I said "you bet give me 10 minutes to pack". I went to get a ticket, and found that actually Fairbanks was in Alaska, and this was January.
The Aircraft was typical used, so it was purchased, on the way back I stopped at vancouver to look at a 61, which the company did not buy. However it introduced me to the delights of vancouver, and we have been going back there on holiday ever since.

stacey_s
12th Mar 2010, 17:18
Sounds like the machine that became 5N-AYX, si 212-47 mixing between, collective, tail rotor and cyclic controls ferried to Nigeria with Bob Roffe and de-moded about a year or so later to si212-48

S

Thridle Op Des
13th Mar 2010, 04:17
.......which then threw a stuck TR servo on me. Because of the mod status of the aircraft, collective change also moved the TR pedals but didn't actually change TR pitch - caused a few interesting moments.

C.C.C.
13th Mar 2010, 07:29
A quick check online confirms that Dave B's photo is indeed #30599 which was the famous 5N-AYX, as posted on Page 36 of this thread.

No-one really understood the collective to cyclic mixing until the Check 2 when the famous hellhole crack was fixed. We had stopped using 5N-AYX for No.1 Hydraulic failures after a rather abrupt arrival to the old helipads on a base check.

Dave Ed
13th Mar 2010, 09:17
I guess this was a useful piece of kit....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell%20hoist/Bellhoist5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell%20hoist/Bellhoist4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell%20hoist/Bellhoist3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell%20hoist/Bellhoist2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell%20hoist/Bellhoist1.jpg

Dave B
13th Mar 2010, 15:36
The vertical fin on the cabin roof, (from memory SI 66), is a good example of international standardisation. The FAA said it must be fitted, the CAA said it must not be fitted.
How two authorities can come up with diametrical opposite opinions like that is beyond me.
I never found a pilot who noticed any difference one way or the other, perhaps someone may know differently.

Alan Biles
13th Mar 2010, 19:29
Dave Ed,

It was a very useful bit of kit and the one in the Eket pic looks a lot like the one Howard Wood and I threw in the sea off Funiwa. c. 1993

Oh how we laughed:uhoh:

stacey_s
14th Mar 2010, 04:18
Eket group;- Barry Pettit, Stacey Shilling, Sunday Gibson & 'Name Escapes me' (Senior moment)

Stacey

Dave Ed
15th Mar 2010, 19:09
So, as mentioned in a previous post, the guardians of Bristow History have aquired certain pictures which arrived in Shrewsbury today in a plain brown envelope.
These will, in three weeks time, be smuggled to Cyprus, secretly scanned, posted and saved on a disc, prior to being returned to where from they came. Many thanks to the operatives (who must remain nameless) involved in this operation. I owe you a beer and and a few stamps Les.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Bristowpics.jpg

Dave Ed
15th Mar 2010, 19:14
Stacey, the name that escapes you might be the infamous Pete Grimwood.

stacey_s
15th Mar 2010, 19:29
Thats the Fella, spooky, I got a message from him on Facebook the next day!!

S

mtoroshanga
16th Mar 2010, 07:46
With a picture of him with a rubber glove over his head, I hope!!

212man
16th Mar 2010, 08:41
Ah, Tim Collins is peering out of the pile of photos, I do believe!

Tail-take-off
16th Mar 2010, 08:51
And a very young Clive Wright front RHS.

Dave Ed
16th Mar 2010, 21:30
212man..... I think you are right.

TC was well known for his conservative approach to flying..

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/Aconservativepilot.jpg

ifsknt
17th Mar 2010, 04:33
He had hair then too! Even Maggie looks young.

Tail-take-off
17th Mar 2010, 07:54
Was Edwina Curry smuggled into the hold?

Dave B
17th Mar 2010, 16:49
That must have been the election when the aircraft was being operated out of the Redhill hanger. We had a squad of armed policemen round the clock, and I managed to spray one with hydraulic fluid when changing a sas actuator. luckily he saw the funny side of it, and didn't shoot me.

Ringo named two of them Cagny and Lacy, only he could get away with that.

The aircraft had been immaculately prepared by Aberdeen to VIP status, but on its staging through Yarmouth, someone doing a turn round blew the floats off, so the Yarmouth night shift had to spend time repacking them. An evil job on the 76.

Dave Ed
17th Mar 2010, 17:07
TTO.

Not always in the hold....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/TCEC.jpg

Tail-take-off
17th Mar 2010, 17:12
Very good!:ok:

ifsknt
17th Mar 2010, 21:23
Dave

EJ was a Yarmouth based aircraft in 1992 when the John and Norma Major picture was taken. It was Bob Goddard's team who prepared it. You are right though, it was old Paddy ? who blew the floats during a check the night before departure.

Fun days...

XA290
18th Mar 2010, 11:56
HP 11

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss319/xa290/HP11.jpg?t=1268913158

mtoroshanga
18th Mar 2010, 12:57
Is that Roddy McKaskill in the front? I'm sure he was still wearing that jacket when he came to Port Harcourt!

Ainippe
18th Mar 2010, 13:47
When maggie on the election campaign, as DaveB points out we had armed coppers inside the hangar. Their boss decided to give them a security test one morning, being the slack alice hangar foreman at the time I was told about it. I wandered upstairs to talk to Derek Cook for some reason - lo and behold he was was looking out across the hangar.He calls me over and say " ere - who's that idiot?" Looking out there was a guy wearing white overalls(we all wore blue or red)with a flat cap on walking round the aircraft. Cookie then says " he must be a flipping copper, only a copper would dress like an idiot and think he looked normal" All this time the copper in mufti is wandering round whilst his men are sitting around picking their noses and scratching their a*ses totally ignoring him. For days afterwards Cookie was heard wandering the halls of Redhill chuckling to himself and muttering "why are coppers such Flipping idiots "
It was funny at the time - no offense to any law that may read this :ok:

We had many lectures from the mufti copper about security - yawn!

Dave Ed
18th Mar 2010, 19:06
The 412s

Never a mainstay of the Bristow fleet but have made quite a few cameo appearances throughout the years in a variety of guises.

Starting with Dubai....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell412/B4125.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell412/B4121.jpg

Still hard working machines at Shawbury and Valley.
The Bell line at Shawbury this morning had six of these, a 412 on permanent loan from Cyprus and an ex Bristow 212.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell412/B4122.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell412/B4123.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell412/B4124.jpg

ifsknt
18th Mar 2010, 22:19
Ah yes, the N registered 412 SP ended up as G-SPBA in 1989 and went to Great Yarmouth.

It spent some time on trial to Conoco working the V fields, then Amoco to the Leman and Inde. It never really caught on as the customers didn't see the advantage over the 212 as being significant enough to justify the increase in price.

Actually, it did have advantages in terms of IFR range due to its fuel capacity and speed but wasn't as good in terms of deck landing and take off. Since Amoco would wait until the weather improved to fly, it didn't really have the opportunity to show its talents and eventually disappeared from GY.

Ainippe
19th Mar 2010, 08:16
WE must have a particularly sensitive moderator on here - I blanked out all of the swearing , now they have gone and changed the wording. Anyone who knew DC would know he wouldnt say "flipping"
:confused:

Sensitive? No.

Moderating to the ROE that you signed up to? Yes.

Senior Pilot

ken knight
19th Mar 2010, 13:44
Being offloaded and taken into the Bristow hanger at Redhill.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img356.jpg

Dave Ed
19th Mar 2010, 21:20
Remember post 1305?

The ex Gulf Helicopter 212 has now been cloned with 30ish Bristow mods by FBH.

I was kneeling in the cockpit today going through prelimary functional checks and it was only later on, driving back to the hotel, that I realised that most of those checks were done with the use of ears!!

I am lucky to have never really worked on a software controlled aircraft. In a quiet hangar, I can hear a fuel valve/boost pump, idle stop solenoid, HISL anti collision light, force trim solenoids, AP/FD relays, nav switching relays etc etc.

Fault finding by ears - a disappearing art!

It is quite satisfying giving a new lease of life to a 30 year old 212. Proabably got another 20 years in her now.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/212/Almostfinished003-1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/212/Almostfinished001.jpg

Tail-take-off
19th Mar 2010, 22:01
I am lucky to have never really worked on a software controlled aircraft.

Hmm. In the aircraft I fly these days if it doesn't work cycle the circuit breaker. If that doesn't work do a byte test then start changing boxes.

Thridle Op Des
20th Mar 2010, 08:01
Without wishing to flatter, that's some lovely looming there. Good to see the CWP back where it is supposed to be!

212man
21st Mar 2010, 02:00
I hope you used Kapton, to give it that authentic feel :E

Dave Ed
21st Mar 2010, 11:58
TOD

It's an art! Not many avionic engineers are capable of it and when you find a good contract wireman - you hold onto him!! The trouble is nowadays we aren't teaching the younger engineers in the industry how to approach a complicated mod programme like this. The last trainees/apprentices I had working with me was about 20 years ago and we are going to lose so many experienced guys in the next 10 years without their experience and hard learnt skills being passed on. It winds me up:ugh:

.......and C*apton.... Oh, the memories of inspecting installed S76 main gearbox looms wired with the stuff:bored:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/212/beforeafter.jpg

Got a few Puma pics, I'll throw on later.......after Man Utd give Liverpool a good thrashing:)

Dave Ed
21st Mar 2010, 18:35
The Puma collection.

A type I have never worked on - any good???

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma10.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma6.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma7.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma8.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/Puma9.jpg

Droopy
21st Mar 2010, 19:15
Solid, agricultural...I have quite a few Miri photos which I'll dig out of the loft.

ken knight
22nd Mar 2010, 11:34
Having only managed to post a thumbnail of this pic the last time I decided to post it again now that I have worked out how to put a full size pic in the post.
Taken outside the original hanger in 1973 with G-AZRF and possibly G-AZDC or G-AZNE in the background.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/1972.jpg

G-AZNE late afternoon takeoff winter 1973.
This is when the new office block/passenger terminal was being built and was then opened by the Duke of Edinburgh.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img359.jpg

Dave Ed
22nd Mar 2010, 20:20
Good question - where did all those Pumas end up?

OK, having smuggled a load of slides and pics out of Redhill I had two options for the slides...

1. Stick with my very expensive, quite old, a pain of a thing to use with difficult software ...slide scanner..

OR

2. Buy a new tech plug and play, no hassle, £50 scanner from Maplins in Shrewsbury.

No contest - I have a new scanner:O

Does the job OK considering we are working with "abused" source material!!

So, from now on I am going for quality, not quantity..and here is the first.

Written on slide......"Bell 205A-1 PK-HBU, 24th May 1983, Eddy Purwono lifting Gearhart unit, Rig 56, Metas location, Sumatra. Photo by CPT. L.E.Koppe"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/PK-HBUSumatra.jpg

spinwing
22nd Mar 2010, 22:42
Mmmm ....

And Lester is still taking great photographs ... to this day ..... :D

Tail-take-off
23rd Mar 2010, 09:43
Where did all those Bristow Pumas end up; are they still flying?

From Rotorspot
(http://www.rotorspot.nl/g-1.htm)
1472 G-BERG,VH-WOB,P2-PHZ,N10241
1475 G-BERH,VH-WOE,G-BERH,VH-WOE,N405R,PP-MGB,N405R
1478 G-BFEU,VH-WOD,N505R,HC-CDO,N505R
1481 G-BFJX,9M-SSC written off
1484 G-BFJY,9M-SSG written off
1508 G-BFKZ,VH-WOF,G-BFKZ,VR-BIG,VH-WOF written off
1514 G-BFNF,9M-SSD,N330JF
1490 G-BFPN,9M-SSF
1526 G-BFSV,VH-BHO[2],G-BFSV,9M-SSI,VH-WOA written off
1557 G-BFTV,9M-SSE cancelled
1517 F-GCJI,G-BJWS destroyed
1586 C-GMNP,N5593A,G-BKAI,9M-SSJ,G-BKAI,9M-SSJ

Dave Ed
23rd Mar 2010, 17:53
One via Les Smith...

G-BFNF, one time 9M-SSD, in it’s current guise of N330JF working for the US Navy on contract VERTREP (nice navy term there !) I think that company had four or five of our old 330s, another is visible at the back of the other boat (not a nice navy term !) should be ‘at the stern of the other vessel’ !!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Puma/N330JF.jpg

Fareastdriver
24th Mar 2010, 10:16
A real bunch of optimists. They have taken off the flop gear.

SASless
24th Mar 2010, 10:35
Bob Holly is headed for the Vertrep contract held by Evergreen....seems he just cannot retire! He says 50 hours of Puma time and a packed kitbag qualifies one for the job.

Dave Ed
24th Mar 2010, 20:08
One from the Redhill archives..........no info.

Not careers for the faint hearted - the crew (one or two?) in the single engined 204? and the the other with the spanners, on top of the pylon!!

Sure beats working in an office.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/205pylon.jpg

Dave Ed
26th Mar 2010, 17:34
Bell 205 9Y-TEI - I think. Trinidad?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/B2059YTEA.jpg

Oldlae
26th Mar 2010, 22:30
That looks like Bob Turner looking into the Tail Servo bay, I stand to be corrected!

ken knight
28th Mar 2010, 15:25
My first trip abroad for BHL was to Pleasantville near Atlantic City.
The 212 had suffered an overtorque and since the complete transmission was to be changed
Bill Petrie told me to go out and help get the thing tracked and balanced using the Chadwick.
Brian Williams was the Chief Eng.
We built up the twinpack in his garage as you can see there was little of the hanger at that time.
This was at the end of November and it was freezing.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img366.jpg

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img367.jpg

ken knight
30th Mar 2010, 14:09
A trip to the Southern States after BHL took over Offshore Helicopters Inc.
Was then known as BOHI. The base at Sabine Pass had a variety of helicopters. Dick Davidson (RIP) was Engineering Manager.
A Hughes 500.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img371.jpg

A Eurocopter AStar at Sabine Pass
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img372.jpg

Two AStars and a Gazelle at Sabine Pass
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img373.jpg

Jefferson County, John Ferrall was the Chief Engineer
A whole load of differant machines here, S76, B212, AStars, Hughes.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img370.jpg

Abbeyville had a lot of the small stuff, Sandy Ogilvie was the Chief Engineer.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img368.jpg

This was Houma in Louisiana where there were a few 212's and Brian Williams was the Chief Engineer after being at Atlantic City.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img369.jpg

Tail-take-off
30th Mar 2010, 15:03
Bell 212 Ex VR-BFE, 9Y-TEY, long term Trinidad based aircraft.
HK-4518X on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8497129@N02/4283479701/)

Dave Ed
30th Mar 2010, 20:00
Ref HK-4518X - hoping FBH management doesn't read this thread or I could find myself modifying another old 212, and spending another 9 months in a Weatherspoons pub!!

Ground runs for my 212 tomorrow ...........at last!!

Ref Sabine Pass..........

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/hughes500.jpg

Dave Ed
3rd Apr 2010, 10:58
Just arrived back in Cyprus with all those Bristow pics..

This rather bashed up Bell 212 could probably be the first Bristow helicopter I worked on. Never seen the picture before. After leaving BA my first job at Redhill was on a Bell 212 rebuild that had crashed onto a pipeline in Egypt. So that would be 1979/80?
No info on the photo itself so any background information would be appreciated.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/BS002.jpg

....and talking of 212 rebuilds, here is my latest one, stuffed full of Bristow mods, on a very successful first ground run, Friday morning. Not very exciting, I admit, but we have to "run in" the new gearboxes before we can throw it around the sky.

Oh yeah! and the small matter of clearing the mountain of paperwork and getting through the CAA audit :(

-FgpEwpysSA

Tail-take-off
3rd Apr 2010, 18:31
VR-BGB/EP-HBW was in Iran until just before "Sandstorm" then became G-BGLL briefly (11 days) in March 1979. It was back to VR-BGB in Singapore until July 1980 when it was transferred to Indonesia as PK-HCI. It may be the one rebuilt in Redhill in 79/80 but unlikely.

I could be wrong!

S61-S92
3rd Apr 2010, 19:35
Hey Dave, good to see your memory is still in good shape:ok:

VR-BGB 30600 was operating in Egypt when it had the accident on 02/10/79 and was indeed transferred to Redhill for repairs, so that will be the one.

I recall one of my first Greenie jobs in Redhill was replacing one of those piddly little Fuel BNC connectors under the belly being instructed by your good self, sometime early 1981.
We saw a few 212's in the hangar in those days.

I also recall the night Smokey Smith torched G-BJZS !
I did my first (and last) ghoster that very night.
Pete liked his Pork Pies didn't he :)

BTW, the Bristow Duck is alive and well - I will post photos sometime soon

Harky

gittijan
4th Apr 2010, 07:17
Ask Geza Sarkozy how he managed to land on the pipe line at Ras Shukheir?:hmm:

Tail-take-off
4th Apr 2010, 08:42
I stand corrected on VR-BGB. Perhaps it went to Egypt post Iran then Singapore after the rebuild.

S61-S92
4th Apr 2010, 10:13
Yep, spot on TTO :ok:

According to my "records" ...

was EP-HBW till Mar 79 when it rapidly "transferred" to UAE
and then on to Redhill as G-BGLL in April.
In May 79 it became VR-BGB and moved to Egypt where it stayed until the accident in October. Back to Redhill for Dave to rebuild it :).

It left bound for Singapore and onto Indonesia as PK-HCI in May 1980.

Dave Ed
4th Apr 2010, 19:09
Hi Harky,

Nothing changes. They have changed the design of those BNC fuel connectors but they are still a piddly pain-in-the- a**e especially upside down, with a 25W soldering iron, and 30 year old green coax cable!
Lost track of Smokey - he was at Martin Ferret's "Avionic Support" for a while and then working on IFE at Heathrow.

Fond memories of the Duck!

So how did BGB end up on the pipeline at Ras Shukheir?

Being a fan of black and white photography.....a pic from the archives. Good moody shot.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/EmdenOstFriesland.jpg

S61-S92
4th Apr 2010, 19:17
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/DuckRace1982.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/G-DUCK-02.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/G-DUCK-01.jpg

and as I mentioned, the Duck is alive and well and operating out of Shetland on the "Eider" contract ;)

S61-S92
4th Apr 2010, 19:20
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/VR-BGB02.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/VR-BGB01.jpg

Two of Malcolm Pendrill's pictures of VR-BGB with the Seismic Probe ? fitted

(Note the bulge on the tail boom on the bottom picture)

Any information ?

S61-S92
4th Apr 2010, 19:27
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/RedhillHeadOffice.jpg
"Home" for four years 79 - 83 ... what does the place look like these days ?

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/RedhillHangar01.jpg
We spent many hours here Dave !

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/RedhillHangar02.jpg
The ill-fated WI, in for maintenance

S61-S92
4th Apr 2010, 19:30
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/PumaCabin.jpg
;) (Sumburgh 1981 , I think !)

Dave Ed
5th Apr 2010, 16:03
I remember the G-DUCK stabilisation augmentation trials -they certainly paid off. If it wasn't for all those damm "basic configuration" ducks getting in the way, we would have won that day.

.....and talking of trials....no info on these. One would guess CAA evacuation trials on the Tiger??

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Tigerliferaft1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Tigerliferaft2.jpg

Tail-take-off
5th Apr 2010, 20:22
http://gi97.photobucket.com/groups/l229/GIVXG4CHIZ/prakla212.jpg

bolkow
5th Apr 2010, 22:49
and there was I thinking it was a bell 212 with a hard on!

mtoroshanga
6th Apr 2010, 06:32
I'm sure that was a magnetic annomaly probe, you need big bangs for siesmic survey and even a 212 can't do that.

Dave Ed
6th Apr 2010, 16:23
.....another of Malcolm Pendrill's.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/WWRedhill.jpg

Malcolm Pendrill was based in my home town, Reigate, a few miles from Redhill Aerodrome. I think he must have been the professional photographer that the company used for many years.

Thridle Op Des
6th Apr 2010, 17:24
Sadly I have been trying to track Malcolm Pendrill's archive down but no joy, he would have a real treasure trove but I believe he has passed away.

WRT to the 'lump' on the seismic 212 (which was used for the Prakla contract in Iran I believe) I suspect that the lump is the counterweight for the probe, but wait to be corrected (SAS do you have any ideas?)

SECRET SERVICE
6th Apr 2010, 18:34
It's exactly the same these days minus the Bristow aircraft.

Have a look at the London Helicopter Centres website and you can see for yourself. They have been the new tenants of the hangar building for quite sometime whilst Bristows still occupy the main office building.

SS

Tail-take-off
6th Apr 2010, 21:27
http://www.london-helicopters.co.uk/Helicopter-Gallery/thumbs/lrg-34-twin-hangar-ec135_052.jpg

http://www.london-helicopters.co.uk/_images/ccBotRight.jpg

http://www.london-helicopters.co.uk/_images/engineering/helicopter-engineering.jpg

DBChopper
6th Apr 2010, 22:08
It's exactly the same these days minus the Bristow aircraft.

And minus the Ford Capris and the Austin Allegro. I think DelBoy's van might still be there though...

nodrama
6th Apr 2010, 22:17
Anyone got any recent phots of PH and/ or Warri...or even Lagos? Would be interesting to see if the Bristow operations there have changed much in the last few years.

soggyboxers
7th Apr 2010, 08:42
I flew all the Prakla Seismos machines on the IHAC uranium survey for Uriran in 1978. The boom at the fornt was indeed a MAD boom, hexagonal in cross section and (if memory serves right) the actual MAD box sat about 16 feet in front of the nose on the aircraft centre line. We also had skywave detection equipment in the cabin just forward of all the consoles for the electronics operator in the cabin. The bulge in the tail was where the groundwave detection equipment was (not quite) fitted in the tailboom. We flew with a crew of 3: pilot, navigator and electronics operator.

I was also flying the Bell 412 demonstrator in Malcolm Pendrill's picture earlier in the thread. It had come over as the Bell demonstrator before going to fly for Amoco on a trial basis. The Bell test pilots were jet-lagged and didn't know the London area, so I took them on a local area famil and a famil of the London helilanes.

Wiretensioner
7th Apr 2010, 18:34
Notice in those CAA evacuation trials that 'Phil Lynott' from Thin Lizzy has made another appearance!

Wiretensioner

Dave Ed
8th Apr 2010, 13:46
Nodrama

I don't have any pics of current Nigerian operations but here are some very early Eket pics from mid-fifties?

The captions were copied from the scribbles on the back of the photos.

Photographs provided by the Strange family.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket1.jpg
Snr. Ing Lombardi looking pensive - having found out that Mobil's planning for the hanger, if built to plan, would mean building over the prison next door. "Shorty" Gibbons says, "Hell, we will buy the place, charge it to Mobil !"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket2.jpg
Hangar foundations laid - awaiting roof and sides !

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket3.jpg
Lombardi again - Getting correct bearing on Mobil's pipe yard to enable construction to continue. Hangar was mainly built out of drill-pipe "borrowed" when tool pusher wasn't looking.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket4.jpg
Minor take-off obstructions being cleared - just so we can see the road.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket5.jpg
Another view of our up to date air conditioned facility. Block and tackle in foreground is looking for a tree to hang it on. "Shorty" is still bemoaning the lack of hours being provided - 150hrs per a/c per month – having provided all the luxurious maintenance facilities.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket6.jpg
First Hangar/Workshop cost 25 Naira - extension cost 15 Naira. Had a problem collecting money from "Shorty" Gibbons due to lack of receipt ! He must of thought I was trying to defraud Mobil of N25 and thus cause them to stop the Nigeria programme.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Early%20Eket/eket7.jpg
..and finally........... Now we are really established - fully air-con hangar and scales. Writing on plank says, "Eket International. Daily flights UK-USA-Idaho platform, round trip 10 USD.

Schinthe
8th Apr 2010, 16:14
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc229/Schinthe/DadsPhotos77.jpgHere is a picture of the finished article.
I believe the Nigerian chap in the final photo was Justus Mlokwu the hangar foreman

Tail-take-off
10th Apr 2010, 13:54
Got the hang of this embedding youtube clips now!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6-_xHNkVj4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B6-_xHNkVj4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ABZSpotter
11th Apr 2010, 11:30
A sad sight.

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/225driver/Helicopters/G-BDIJG-BDOCEGPD100410.jpg

Poor old Oscar Charlie, shouldn't she go to a museum with her famous background? She evidently holds the record for the most people saved on one mission. 56 crew rescued from the Latvian klondyker Lunokhods (http://shetlopedia.com/Lunokhods) which grounded on Bressay (http://shetlopedia.com/Bressay) on 9th November 1993 (http://shetlopedia.com/1993#November)

http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/225driver/Helicopters/G-BDOCEGPD100410.jpg

Tail-take-off
11th Apr 2010, 13:11
What is their fate? OC is a particularly low hours machine (having done SAR for the best part of 25 years) if somewhat overweight with all the extra wiring & computers etc.

Dave Ed
11th Apr 2010, 14:36
I spent sooooo many hours on those two, fitting all the SAR avionics then a really interesting project, working with the manufacturer, Bristow D.O., CAA and SAR crews developing that EHSI upgrade we did many years ago. I built an S61N avionic test bed at Redhill so we could fly it on the bench.
Then we could have lots of experienced "experts" staring at the wind arrow, spending hours debating what colour it should be:)

Now, pic of the day. Nothing on back of the photo but the phone number of the photographer only has 4 digits!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/Whirlwindcelebration.jpg

S61-S92
12th Apr 2010, 11:25
S61 Graveyard?

Fingers crossed that someone out there will give OC and IJ a nice new home somewhere warm and dry :)
Spent quite a few years nursing them pair too !

and Dave Ed,

did you just lapse into broad cockney above, and admit that you
spent hours "staring out the window" !!!!!

...you'll be giving us greenies a bad name with admissions like that;)

thorpey
12th Apr 2010, 12:55
I think 'IJ' has had a lick of paint and is up for sale on the Bristows web site, i may be wrong but i think it's her.

Dave Ed
12th Apr 2010, 15:25
Working through the archives...a great pic.

No info on this one.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Sprayingwidg.jpg

....see the birds....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Sprayingwidg2.jpg

...anyone hazard a guess at which country we are in from the registration?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Sprayingwidg3.jpg

forget
12th Apr 2010, 15:34
Off the top of my head - OO-CWA, was registered to the Gouvernement Général du Congo on 18 May 1951. :hmm:

Westland-Sikorsky WS.51 OO-CWA (http://www.baha.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/CivilPics/civil_pics_ooaaa_ooczz/westland%20WS.51.htm)

TiPwEiGhT
12th Apr 2010, 16:34
IJ is for sale on the website but, it is just a file photo of an Air Log S-61.

TiP:}

Grumpyasever
12th Apr 2010, 20:57
Is that Captain B Shaw pouring the drinks in 1385?

bhisham45
14th Apr 2010, 00:37
trinituner.com :: View topic - Chopper Chat Ched (http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=292378&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=3cae960ca56161f85deedfb82a1f93c4)

Dave Ed
14th Apr 2010, 17:04
A couple of Tiger formations over Aberdeen.....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/Tigerformation2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/Tigerformation1.jpg

Droopy
14th Apr 2010, 21:14
Top concept, but whose idea to use such a complex visual background - the aircraft don't exactly spring out of the picture....

Brilliant Stuff
14th Apr 2010, 21:23
Tonight's memorial talk was very good!:ok::ok::ok:

Thanks to Pat,John and Stephen.

Achilles426
15th Apr 2010, 01:49
If OC and IJ are on the scrap heap, what is flying for the SAR contract in DH?

Sad to see OC looking like this, they should get the Shetland musem to have her as a display model. Many hours spent in the back of her in Shetland, and some not so fond memories.

A426:(

mtoroshanga
15th Apr 2010, 07:30
As far as I remember the Tiger formation flights took place when we were training pilots for the Emperor of Japans flight.

Epiphany
15th Apr 2010, 12:05
Achilles,

Knowing Bristow they will probably scrap them or sell them for a derisory amount. They will then completely unexpectedly (even though they tendered for it) win a contract for SAR S61N's and spend a fortune buying them back - only to find they have no pilots to fly them or engineers to maintain them.

Dave Ed
15th Apr 2010, 15:50
.......and against a less cluttered background!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/5tigersrig.jpg

ken knight
15th Apr 2010, 15:50
There is also a pic of the same flight doing an offshore flypast.
If memory serves it was the Chinese that were under training.

Dave Ed
15th Apr 2010, 15:55
.....How spooky is that Ken????
We both posted at 17.50 regarding the same picture!!!

Dave Ed
15th Apr 2010, 17:15
Hillers and Bananas

In 1960, Sir Miles Wyatt asked Alan Bristow if he would like to take over the running of Fison Airwork and effectively merge it with Bristow Helicopters so although many of these operations were not strictly Bristow operations they were under Bristows control for a time and many staff joined the company.
Therefore the general feeling is that Fison Airwork, like BEAS, should be included as part of Bristow history. Fison Airwork itself was formed from Airwork and Fison Pest Control and had many contracts in the field of crop spraying of which Panama and Dominican Republic were two. Typical equipment being Hiller 12s equipped with spray booms and insecticide tanks.

Remember the above post 1163 (p59)

This good pic from the Bristow archives. The stamp on the reverse of photo reads " Photograph by Public Relations Office, Khartoum, Sudan Government"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/G-AMDO/G-AMDO2.jpg
"Now, let's see. Engage IAS, HDG and and ALT HOLD and off we go"

......and what is becoming obvious is that the life of a crop spraying Hiller wasn't very long:bored: In the "Hillers and Bananas" post, one of the wrecks, in the crashes image is G-AMDN! This one being AMDO, destroyed in Panama.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/G-AMDO/GAMDO.jpg

Dave Ed
16th Apr 2010, 19:33
Possible future Chief Engineers/Managers?
...and now contemplating retirement!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Chief%20engs/Duripeople3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Chief%20engs/ADpeople1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Chief%20engs/Duripeople2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Chief%20engs/ADpeople2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Chief%20engs/Duripeople1.jpg

parabellum
16th Apr 2010, 21:00
Third picture from the top, Stan Chapman chewing his finger! Must be retired now? Along with Dave Hingley, Chas House, Bob Potts, John Cromwell etc?

SASless
17th Apr 2010, 17:44
Post 1403....right side.... Martin Boardley I believe!

Oldlae
17th Apr 2010, 21:36
Post 1403,
Colin McCabe on the left. Martin Boardley became the Chief Engineer Eket in due course. I do not know the guy in the centre but I left Duri in May 1972.

Saint Jack
18th Apr 2010, 03:33
Yes, that's Martin Boardley in the 1st, 3rd and 5th photo, popular lad wasn't he - played a mean guitar too. The guy sitting in the center of the last photo, with white shirt and black knee-length stockings, is Doug Parker, ex-Brtish Army (Warrant Officer) avionics man. Doug sadly passed away in Australia about the early/mid eighties after which his Malaysian-chinese wife, Margaret, returned to her family in Penang. Spent many good times with them, and their parrot 'Jimmy', when they lived in Singapore.

ken knight
18th Apr 2010, 05:46
Is that a very young Jimmy Peebles sitting at the back?

Dave Ed
18th Apr 2010, 10:03
A bit more formal - this one.... not a beer in sight!
Appeared in a few company brochures I believe so it has probably been on this thread somewhere before...?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/S61group.jpg

Tail-take-off
18th Apr 2010, 10:19
The late Russ Smith on the left.

Don't recall seeing this on this thread.

TTO

212man
18th Apr 2010, 12:58
They don't look very comfortable posing! Is that guy on the right holding the famous 'bat' - no wonder it hurts! :E

Is that a very young Jimmy Peebles sitting at the back?

I think that's a pretty good guess.

Tail-take-off
18th Apr 2010, 13:54
Is that guy on the right holding the famous 'bat' - no wonder it hurts!

Hopefully the LAE in the red overalls has the grease behind his back!

212man
18th Apr 2010, 14:22
Grease - luxury!

Dave Ed
18th Apr 2010, 17:48
Bonny Island - Nigeria 1955.

Front..

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/Bonny551.jpg

Back..
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/Bonny552.jpg

Dave Ed
21st Apr 2010, 19:17
A couple of Tail Rotors...

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tail%20rotors/Tailrotor1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tail%20rotors/Tailrotor2.jpg

Phil Kemp
21st Apr 2010, 21:32
Pic #1409

Second from right - Dave Sackville
Third form right - Jim Mills

How's it going in SE Asia boys? :)

DECUFAULT
22nd Apr 2010, 00:20
Jim has retired..bad knees and hips...
Dave S I think is still in Kerteh Malaysia

Dave Ed
22nd Apr 2010, 18:47
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Solent61.jpg

pohm1
22nd Apr 2010, 22:49
Winching an engineer and parts onto the Jack Bates.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_146385294672_722329672_3133035_176438_n.jpg

The best way to see Karratha, (behind you.)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v153/246/90/722329672/n722329672_465562_958.jpg

Another offshore unservicability, on the Nan Hai VI

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2563/246/90/722329672/n722329672_2217226_6857809.jpg

P1

Dave Ed
23rd Apr 2010, 15:59
Brings back memories of rescuing an S76 that wouldn't start, offshore Malaysia, struggling to get an aircraft battery, starter generator and tools from that cage thing suspended from the rig crane onto a supply boat that was riding a twenty foot swell!!
I was clinging for dear life onto the outside of that basket wondering whether my life insurance would pay out if I died that day. Then, after struggling again to get all the bits from supply boat, onboard the cage at the neighbouring rig we finally reached the stranded aircraft, pushed a circuit breaker back in!!!!!!!! .....and flew back to base.

Dave Ed
23rd Apr 2010, 19:52
A few more tigers....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/TIGK.jpg

Thank God, current health and safety regulations prevent engineers from wearing shorts on the line!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/TIGN.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Tigers/Tigerwinch.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/duritiger.jpg

Dave Ed
25th Apr 2010, 18:08
No info regarding following S58 pics.
Early Aberdeen I guess and Alan Bristow?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/S58/BCTX1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/S58/BCTX2.jpg

Dave Ed
27th Apr 2010, 15:45
Redhill Engineering Training School

Turned out some dam good engineers!

Names / anecdotes anyone?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/RedhillEngineeringTrainingSchool.jpg

S61-S92
27th Apr 2010, 16:27
:)
Yep, I can tell you exactly who that is

No5 Entry Tech Trainees

In the foreground John Cotton is instructing Ross Brooker, Steve Davies and Jerry Lane, and in the background on the Gearbox is Eoin Harcus, Joe Bowell and Barney Graham ... all top blokes.
Picture was posed (me.. working on a gearbox!!!???!!!! I think not !!!) and is 1979 or 1980 vintage. (Look at Baby face Brooker !):ok:

Hilife
27th Apr 2010, 16:35
Turned out some dam good engineers!

Hope they spot that overtorqued exhaust duct before it goes back on-wing :eek:

Then again, it could be Dan-Dare at Lashup and not Redhill ;)

S61-S92
27th Apr 2010, 17:05
Further to Dave's picture, here's the same group pictured in 1983 when we all completed our 4 year Training Course and had our certificates presented to us by Bill Petrie ... after a slap up meal at the Skylane !
I will never forget, just before Petrie departed he told us the bar was free :ok: and we should enjoy ourselves ... we ordered a round then the barman pulled the shutters down :sad: Petrie had it timed to perfection! (as usual!!)

Any way, here's the pic that appeared on the the BHL Intranet Sept 2009 when we celebrated 30 Years. Any of you other guys on here ???

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/No5Entry30.jpg

Dave Ed
29th Apr 2010, 17:36
Back of photo....

"Servicing at the Heliport Burutu"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/Burutu.jpg

Dave Ed
1st May 2010, 19:58
Off to Shawbury, Monday, to get that 212 through a CAA audit so will have little time for posting pics so here is the Zoo Bar collection provided by AB? ..and who I think makes a personal appearance???

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Zoo%20bar/Zoo6.jpg

Rokan1
2nd May 2010, 17:26
Great Zoo Bar photo collection Dave, I can see Alan Biles, Barry Pettett, Roger Tingley, plus many other faces that I cant quite put names to.

M.

Alan Biles
2nd May 2010, 19:56
....... and Terry Bleed, Steve Brownell, Roger Old, Chris deVerenne, Willy Bole a.k.a foul bowel Bole, Dino Jolley, Brian (The Lung) Gardner, Roy Moore (IAL), Roger Leale, Hugh Martin (I think) and Maureen Pollard. Great days. 'Bucket jobs' from 7 floors up. LOL.

S61-S92
3rd May 2010, 10:36
... about time we had a S61 picture on here :ok: (Aberdeen circa 1975)

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af24/S61-S92/S61-Abdn-FltInt14Aug75.jpg

ken knight
3rd May 2010, 15:26
This was an S61 which was given the once over and a respray at Aberdeen after the Americans took over as can be seen by the logo on the side. The registration of this one this was G-BXSN which was not originally an Aberdeen machine. Not sure where it went in the States or indeed if it is still there.

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img390.jpg

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img391.jpg

ABZSpotter
4th May 2010, 09:26
This was an ex Irish machine EI-BLY and became G-BXSN in Feb 98. It went to Air Logisitics as N161AL in Mar 01. It then went to Brazil as PR-MDS from Apr 03 to Jan 05, back to the US as N761N until Nov 05. It is now C-FHCH, initially with VIH, and is currently with Cougar Helicopters.

ken knight
6th May 2010, 11:20
Sorry for blurr but these shots were taken at night while the remaining 212's were being loaded into the CL44 in Dubia.
Bill Petrie had sent myself and Davie Foote out to do some work on the 212's based in Dubia.
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img363.jpg

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img364.jpg

http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy348/balmedie3169/kens%20bristow%20pics/img365.jpg

Dave Ed
6th May 2010, 15:17
Middle Wallop?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/MWG-AXKM.jpg

parabellum
6th May 2010, 21:43
Yes, Middle Wallop, without a doubt!:ok:

Dave Ed
7th May 2010, 06:39
Not sure of these locations ...

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/LoadingG-ANJV.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20misc/Earlysomewhere.jpg

Alan Biles
7th May 2010, 07:05
Abu Dhabi or Das at a guess.

The lower pic is the old north block admin building undergoing renovation by the looks of it. Has to be 1960's. Nice Vauxhall Victor.

Dave Ed
10th May 2010, 06:20
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/ATBZteam.jpg
A pic from Dave Gash.

This photo was taken the day before BZ departed from North Denes going I don't know where.
The names left to right:
Robby Parker, Doug Sturman, Fred Ling, Dave Gash, and Paul Holmes. The pilot was Des Sadler.

parabellum
10th May 2010, 12:09
G-ANJV was in Abu Dhabi from May 1969, having been ferried out from the UK, Brian Williams was the engineer for the ferry flight. John Griffiths set up the operation and Cliff Saffron was the Station Engineer. The client was ADOC (Japan) and the rig was Pegasus. Not sure where she went after AUH.

Dave B
10th May 2010, 15:53
I did a leave relief for Brian Williams in Abu Dhabi, must have been 1970. I was studying for my licence at that time, and as my bedroom also doubled up as Cliffs tech office, it was a good opportunity to get to know the company paperwork.

Dave B
10th May 2010, 15:58
Looking at the photo at 1439, what hapened to Dave Gash ?, we were on the Allison course together.

Alan Biles
11th May 2010, 07:49
Has been seen on this thread. Is retired and living in Hampshire.

ifsknt
11th May 2010, 10:46
I was talking with someone today whose instructor in the 70s was D E Eddie Ford. Uncle Eddie was always a great flying companion in the early days of the Bristow 332Ls and before that I sometimes used to share a house with him and David Stephens in Sumburgh which led to the odd headache next morning. Eddie was always a great Training Captain when doing the IBC and IRR.

Anyone know what happened to Eddie? He would be getting advanced in years now but my conversation today brought back many memories and I hope he is either OK or resting upstairs.

Fareastdriver
11th May 2010, 12:26
I don't know about Eddie but Dave went upstairs a couple of years ago.

Dave Ed
12th May 2010, 16:46
See second pic for explanation......if you read shorthand???

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/WWwinching1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/WWwinching.jpg

Dave Ed
14th May 2010, 08:40
I was hoping someone could translate the shorthand on the back of the last pic!

Here is an old shot of early Port Harcourt, Nigeria, including a couple of Whirlwind 1's and a Twin Pioneer. I don't suppose there are many Twin Pioneer pilot's / engineers on this thread!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/PHold.jpg

parabellum
14th May 2010, 11:45
On a hot, humid day how many pax could a Mk 1 lift?

spinwing
14th May 2010, 14:22
Mmmmm ....

One is tempted to answer .......... NOT ENOUGH! :}

Dave B
14th May 2010, 16:10
There is at least one Twin Pin engineer on this thread, I was on them in Singapore, though with the RAF, not Bristow. They did a good job in the , malayan and Borneo emergencies landing in very small jungle clearings. They also had loudhailers that played Christmas carols.
A twin Pin has actually been seen to fly backwards, (ground speed wise), in a headwind.

Oldlae
14th May 2010, 21:21
I am trying to get Larry Coram on-line, he was very much involved in Nigeria in the early days, unfortunately, he is still getting to grips with modern technology so we may expect some relevations from those far off days soon.

Schinthe
15th May 2010, 14:08
The STOL capability of the Single Pioneer was equally impressive, I remember seeing one doing what was effectively a vertical landing at Noblefield K.L. in the early 60's

Dave Ed
15th May 2010, 16:58
The Bristow archives Bell 47 pics.......

No real info to add to the images except the first one....

"Military training contract in Iran"

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell47s/Bell471.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell47s/Bell472.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell47s/Bell473.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bell47s/Bell474.jpg

Gordy
17th May 2010, 16:13
Thought some may like to see G-BIXV in her new colors... Took 5 months to completely rebuild:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/Bell212BIXVroadtransportfromFairoak.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/IMG_3639.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/IMG_3751.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/IMG_3645.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/IMG_3642.jpg

And now:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/PICT0004-1.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/212BT/PICT0006-1.jpg

Dave Ed
19th May 2010, 14:30
Intro from the old Skyweaver website plus some bristow archive pics.

Bristow Base: Manston, U.K.

After the RAF withdrew 22 Squadron helicopter detachment from Manston a contract was placed with Bristow Helicopters Ltd. for the provision of Whirlwind Series III helicopters to operate for a trial period from June 1st, 1971 to December 31st, 1972. This being the first civilian Coastguard Heli-copter Unit operating under the direct control of H.M. Coastguard.

Agreement with the RAF on provision of base facilities, both operational and domestic, was reached. The domestic side (i.e. hangar, office, storage, crew room and safety equipment spaces) fell short of expectations, but had to be accepted, with reservations, in order to meet the planned start date.

On the operational side, however, the Air Traffic Control facility, fuelling arrangements and use of equipment were found to be highly satisfactory.
The operation was linked by a direct line to Dover Straits Coastguard and on the third day of operations, with a scramble time of two minutes, a child was rescued from the sea in the Folkstone area some 16 miles from Manston.

The contract was to have available, from twilight to twilight, a WS55 Whirlwind fully equipped with radio facilities to keep in touch with land based SAR facilities and mobile units such as lifeboats and ships.
Another Whirlwind was held at Redhill as a back-up machine G-AYNP I believe.

Compared with the multitude of avionics fitted to current SAR machines the list of equipment, fitted to the SAR Whirlwinds, gives an interesting comparison:
Decca Mk8 Navigator, 1 x VHF AM Homer,1 x VHF FM, 1 x PA, 1 x VHF AM,1 x ADF

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/YTK1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/YTK2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/YTK3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/YTK4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/YTK5.jpg

Dave B
19th May 2010, 16:18
That takes me back, I used to do leave relief for Dusty Miller at Manston, still got the Blazer badge.

Dave Ed
19th May 2010, 19:55
I think Dusty makes an appearance in one of these smaller pics.........maybe front row left????

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Manston/SARawardgroup.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Manston/manstonaynp.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Manston/manston1.jpg

Ainippe
20th May 2010, 07:42
Yup thats him at the front LH side looking like a shop keeper:E

Tail-take-off
20th May 2010, 17:53
Looks like a very young Garry Williams (Front row, second from left)!

Alan Biles
20th May 2010, 20:04
The very Mrs Biles has dug into her distant memories of shorthand and reckons it's something like "Naval pilots were taught not only how to fly a Whirlwind whilst attempting a rescue, but also had to play guinea pig as part of their training".

No indication of where, when or who.

hoveratsix
25th May 2010, 04:43
Anybody have news of Pete? Last I heard he was a Heliadmin type on the Magnus hookup ca 1983

Rosh
25th May 2010, 22:53
Reminiscing on some good times had while working for Bristow in conjunction with the Malaysian Helicopter Services team.

Hope you are all well, and enjoying the chicken curry served up by the rigs at 7am!!! I could get used to that again.

Miri, Malaysian Borneo at the end of 2007.
Kerteh, Terengganu, East Malaysia at the beginning of 2008.

Link to some footage below.

A bit of AC/DC screaming in the background makes it all seem rather exciting.

Mike (Red team) 'You said you wanted a mention' - check out the golf swing!! No shanking!.... but there's a hint of a cricketers 'off-drive' in there!

Viddler.com - Malaysia 2007/8 - Uploaded by Rosh_Jaypalan (http://www.viddler.com/explore/Rosh_Jaypalan/videos/11/)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/kerteh.jpg

Dave Ed
26th May 2010, 17:44
Excellent video Rosh. Brought back a few memories of earlier times at Kerteh. I spent a total of six years there, the first being when the operation moved to the new airport from Kuala Trengannu and then a longer spell, married accompanied, when MHS was finding its feet and trying to break the bond with Bristows.
My son was born in Kuantan, while we were there, seventeen years ago so the following pictures are probably around twenty years ago from an earlier tour???

Couldn't agree more about the curry breakfast! Remember well, going to the terminal for Roti Chanai??? after the early morning flights were on their way.

S76A, S76C, S61 and Bell 412.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Kerteh/Kerteh1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Kerteh/Kerteh2.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Kerteh/Kerteh3.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Kerteh/Kerteh4.jpg

Rosh
27th May 2010, 16:57
Dave, Good to see pics of Kerteh from earlier times.

Kuantan was still the weekend getaway, the Hyatt Regency bar... good fun. I believe I still have a 3/4 full bottle of Jack Daniels behind the bar. Maybe someday, I'll get back to finish it off.

Roti Canai!!!..... beat the Standard 'North Sea bacon and egg roll' breakfast.... and also kept the movements regular!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/DSC02676.jpg

and a couple more from Kerteh 2008. The tower and hangar look unchanged from the earlier pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/DSC03399.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/DSC03533.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/DSC03592.jpg

he1iaviator
27th May 2010, 17:20
Hey Rosh, you need a refresher course! That Roti Canai is in fact a Thosai :8

Rosh
27th May 2010, 17:41
:O:ugh::rolleyes::ugh::O

You're right.... However, if you squint your eyes and let them go out of focus, it looks a little like Roti Canai!

The Dosai was just as good and had the same effect!

Picture corrected!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/rjaypalan/753982512_6ae50e68cd.jpg

When is the next 'roti' refresher course being run?

I may need to do the full initial 'roti' awareness course, as it has been a while.

jonseagull
28th May 2010, 14:37
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs531.ash1/31157_397169156020_679611020_4707946_4197149_n.jpg

Dave Ed
28th May 2010, 17:23
Before the thread totally degenerates into our favourite rig/airport meals...........:)

A few more vintage pics....From Das Island / Persian Gulf.

Persian Gulf - 1961.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/PG1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/PG2.jpg

Das Island - No date.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind/PG3.jpg

Dave Ed
30th May 2010, 09:39
A couple of people pics...........

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan1.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan2.jpg

spinwing
30th May 2010, 10:47
Mmmm ...

Happy to report Das Is. has changed significantly .....

Scotsheli
30th May 2010, 18:46
If anyone would like to get in touch with Dusty for a "quick chat" PM me!

parabellum
30th May 2010, 20:59
Actually the Das Island at the time of the above photo wasn't so bad! Excellent food, good medical support, a tavern/pub styled on an English pub selling v.cheap booze, bungalow accommodation and a small golf course! Four months on and one month off. AUH and BAH were, by comparison, quite primitive.

griffothefog
31st May 2010, 03:05
Parabellum,

My dad was there in 1968 and won a golf tournament!!!( 6 hole brown's played thrice) I saw his name on the roll of honour wall in the golf club :ok:

The bar is still there, but sadly no hooch anymore :{

spinwing
31st May 2010, 04:56
Mmm ....

AND .... no more bacon sarnies in the mess either .... :(

Dave Ed
31st May 2010, 09:45
Continuing with Das Island....here is the info I have from the original website. Some pics courtesy of John Odlin.

Das Island is the main centre of the UAEs offshore oil industry, lying in the centre of the Arabian Gulf. In 1957 Bristows won a contract from BP to operate on a tiny uninhabited island in the Persian Gulf ( Das Island) 70 miles off the coast of Qatar.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/jod_das1.jpg

Bristows had to provide the helicopters and Alan Bristow bought the first two helicopters owned by the company, two Westland Widgeons. At Das Island the Bristow crews soon proved that the helicopters, initially contracted merely to fly essential spares and key executives to the rigs, were far more reliable and effective than boats in ferrying whole rig crews. The company was to operate in the area for the next twenty years.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das1.jpg
Back of photo Das Island 1958. Helicopters in hangar at Das Island Base.

Helicopters were used for communication between the island and Umm Shaif No.1 well, being drilled by Abu Dhabi Marine Areas Ltd, in which the British Petroleum Company has a two-thirds shareholding and Compagnie Francaise des Petroles one-third. So presumably the two aircraft in the photo were the first helicopters bought by Bristows.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das2.jpg
Back of photo: WS-55 Srs 3 landing on a well-head tower at Das Island. Registration G-AOZK.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das3.jpg
WS-55 Whirlwind G-ANUK at Das. Back of photo: Spencer Allen - one of Bristow's captains.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das4.jpg
A couple of Whirlwinds at Das G-AOZK and ?.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/jv20.jpg
Das 1957. Widgeon about to land on "Adma Enterprise" whilst in harbour at Das Island during final fitting out prior to being towed to the site of Adma Well F-1.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das5.jpg
Aerial view of Das taken in 1976.

And a couple of people pics...........

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/dasgolfpeople.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Das%20Island/das1960group.jpg

parabellum
31st May 2010, 21:33
Third from the left, standing, an ex Royal Navy engineer, name escapes me but 'Jim' rings a bell, met him in Abu Dhabi, 1969/70 and Warri, Nigeria, 1970/71(ish). Last on the right standing, John Waddington?

EDITED; Just remebered, third from the left is Jim Wild.

Dave Ed
3rd Jun 2010, 16:36
Whirlwind conversions I guess.
No real info - anyone have any background info?

Nice poses - almost look like real engineers .......

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind%20conversions/scan13.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind%20conversions/scan14.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind%20conversions/scan15.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Whirlwind%20conversions/scan16.jpg

fredsgrandaughter
4th Jun 2010, 21:23
Great photos thanks:ok:

Do someone got any from Frederick Legrys,Sorry if i have missed .

Dave Ed
6th Jun 2010, 08:13
The remaining Hiller pics from my archive pile.....the British United Airways livery (last two pics) dates to around 1961.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Hillers/scan5.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Hillers/scan6.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Hillers/scan19.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Hillers/scan28.jpg

TipCap
7th Jun 2010, 22:41
Gosh I remember Fred Legrys very well. The first time I met him, if my memory serves me well, was in the late 60's when I was doing a Jet ranger conversion for Iran and he showed me how you could do an engine off in the hover with a 360 degree turn thrown in. High inertia heads those 206's

John Whale

SASless
7th Jun 2010, 23:54
Why is the only dirty places on the white ovvies is the seat?:uhoh:

ken knight
9th Jun 2010, 13:14
I have been contacted by the daughter of Peter John Faid, a pilot I knew during his service with 78 Squadron in Sharjah, 1968. She is trying to find out more about his flying career.
I believe he left the RAF in 1969 and joined BHL. Sadly he was killed when a 206 crashed in Ghana, July 1970. However I think he may also have flown a Wessex offshore Aberdeen area 69/70, as the engineer, George Siddle spoke of him while I was working at Redhill early 1970.
If anyone has any info on Peter Faid's flying career with BHL can you send me a PM and I will send contact details for his daughter.
Many Thanks.
Ken Knight.

Saint Jack
10th Jun 2010, 08:25
Ken, this is a duplicate thread, Emma started a similar thread entitled 'Do You Remember Peter Faid?' here in 'Rotorheads' on the 31st May 2010, so far, mine is the only reponse.

Yes, while with Bristow he did fly the Wessex offshore in the UK, I met him - very briefly - when he was transitting through Sunderland to Great Yarmouth back in 1966/67ish.

I'm surprised none of my fellow Bristow 'old-timers' have replied despite me naming the handful I remember from that occasion - including George Siddle. I remember George as one of my mentors in Bristow, a very affable and helpful individual.

Dave Ed
12th Jun 2010, 14:29
.....Nigeria 1957/58. Anyone any info?

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/scan11.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/scan12.jpg

......and a related one from the original website....

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Nigeria/lastgovofNig.jpg

Tail-take-off
12th Jun 2010, 17:41
Is that a very young Clive Wright in the Nigeria pictures with the Fison's Airwork Whirlwind?

Dave B
17th Jun 2010, 18:20
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/MountKenya/Jordan1.jpg?t=1276798342Photo

showing 760090 being inspected at the Royal Jordanian base in Amman, prior to purchase by Bristow. There were Five machines left over after various companies bought the others, this is one of them.

Dave B
17th Jun 2010, 18:28
Here is the finnished result, at Redhill, after being flown to UK by RJAF C130http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/MountKenya/Jordan6.jpg?t=1276799007

Tail-take-off
17th Jun 2010, 19:48
When BHL took over Fisons Airwork they aquired an Auster G-APOA that Fisons had bought new in 1958. BHL hung on to G-APOA until it was blown over & one wing badly damaged in the hurricane of 1987. Amongst other things it was used by the Flight Training School & for ferrying spares about.

Seen below in 1959, at Biggin Hill, with Fison Airwork Limited clearly on the engine cowl:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z74/Tail-take-off/G-APOAairwork.jpg

And in 1981 at Cranfield:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z74/Tail-take-off/G-APOABHL.jpg

Sadly it crashed in 1993 killing both occupants.

industry insider
17th Jun 2010, 21:27
I used to fly OA in my spare time to keep my FW licence current, funny old thing that it was. I had it going backwards once in a strong wind! I remember taking it to Biggin Hill, it was quite a difference landing on their runway compared to the grass at Redhill.

Dave Ed
19th Jun 2010, 05:21
The last of the S58 pics..........

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/S58/scan21.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/S58/scan22.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/S58/scan20.jpg

Dave B
20th Jun 2010, 12:16
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab221/MountKenya/Jordan3.jpg?t=1277035472

Two of the Aircraft purchased by Bristow were dedicated air ambulances, they were mostly used to pick up casualties from the notorious Amman to Petra highway. They were stripped out at Redhill and returned to normal configuration.

Fareastdriver
20th Jun 2010, 18:07
Did they keep the sliding doors both sides?

Upland Goose
20th Jun 2010, 19:18
G-APOA

On joining Bristow at Redhill as electrical fitter in 1974 on 47p per hour I was waiting to join HP7 (Cadet Pilot Course) and I needed to build hours for my PPL IMC rating (60hrs P1) a pre-requisite of joining an HP course in those days.

I was allowed to use G-APOA for £7 per flying hour for my own use. I was fortunate to pick up many spares runs, mainly to Great Yarmouth which gave me "free flying".

Many of the runs were on a Friday afternoon (panic day) and my first was with a float bottle actuator for Bell 212 G-BBBP. I well remember flying over the East Anglia countryside and thinking " The first flight I have not had to pay for" I was ecstatic.

One afteroon whilst working in the hangar on an S58ET build I smashed my watch on the firewall. Then I got a call to take a Wessex tail rotor gearbox to Yarmouth. How the hell was I going to fly an aeroplane without a watch and give reliable ETA's.

I had a stopwatch so I went to the "clock in/clock out" machine where we punched in/out each day and started my stopwatch and keeping a record, used it to give ETA's etc to GY and and back from Redhill. When I arrived Dave Winter met me and Dixie Newton swung the prop to get me started (no electrics or starter on G-APOA in those days)

On another weekend (at my expense) I flew to the Auster Rally at Shoreham and G-APOA built in 1958 had been in what we call today a "controlled environment" timewarp and in 1975 she only had 850 hrs on the clock. I entered the Concours class for a laugh and she won without any preparation at all. Mainly thanks to a very good engineer Brian Rhodes who now resides in Aberdeen.

She was a beauty - but difficult to land well. When one got it right the pleasure was complete. I doubt I could do it today.

When I opened the Daily Telegraph years later to see a picture of her wrecked I was heartbroken - she gave me my break into flying and will have a special place in my career.

As I sit behind my desk at Redhill with the issues of the international scene to consider, a part of me wants to return to those parsimonious but fun filled days with G-APOA.

UG

OvertHawk
21st Jun 2010, 07:58
Ahhhh... Upland Goose.

Was looking at those piccies of the Auster and recalled your telling me about flying her.

Hope that the office is not cramping your style - suppose one major disadvantage is that you don't have the opportunity to " just look out to sea" when the need arises.

Keep yer head above water
Yours aye'
OH

Dave B
21st Jun 2010, 16:24
Far east Driver

No the company did not keep both the sliding doors, hinged doors for the left hand side were obtained from some Tornado damaged aircraft in the states. I never understood why, as in some circumstances they would have been handy. It was all to do with flight briefing cards and passenger loading etc.
There is an interesting story concerning one of the Air Ambulances. When they were delivered a Sikorsky rep. was demonstrating the equipment to the top surgeon in Amman, when he had a heart attack. The surgeon recognized the symptoms, got him into the aircraft, had him flown to the hospital, opened him up, and saved his life.
If it had happened anywhere else, the guy would most likely have died.

Dave Ed
27th Jun 2010, 10:41
....and a few people pics of which we may have seen a couple before but were left in my "to post" folder.

Being useless at remembering names I will not embarass myself by guessing them all wrongly!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan4.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan7.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan8.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Bristow%20people/scan3.jpg

Tail-take-off
27th Jun 2010, 12:30
The first picture is of Alan Green (original ops director) & Clive Wright.

The third picture is of Tim Collins, some politician, & Mike Wood.

TipCap
28th Jun 2010, 14:53
Unless I am totally wrong (which I might be at the grand old age of 63), I think the 4th picture is of "Johnny" Johnson, my first Chief Pilot in Bristows.

When I got married in 1969, Johnny flew me and the Mrs away from our reception in a Jetranger "borrowed" for the day.

I wonder whether Johnny is still with us

John Whale

Foggy Bottom
29th Jun 2010, 00:39
I've got a few hours in HAM (Mss Piggy) but either don't remember or never knew that guy walking away from that fine aircraft.

Nigel Osborn
29th Jun 2010, 01:23
Hi John
I think you are right about that last photo being Johnny Johnson, especially if he had a bad stammer. I met that Johnson in 1974 in Doha when he was the manager of Gulf Helicopters. Decency prevents me from saying more!:ok:

parabellum
29th Jun 2010, 05:58
When I was in Teheran in 1968 there was a South African engineer in town on time off from the Zagross operation who looked a bit like the guy in the photo. Johnny Johnson did my 206 conversion in Khorramshahr in March '68 and I'm sure he was a lot older than the chap in the photo?

rapman
29th Jun 2010, 06:24
Definately Johnny Johnson..seen here in the left seat of G-SOLY during a test flight and featured for flight international.

1979 | 3657 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1979/1979%20-%203657.html?search=jonny%20johnson%20soloy%20bell%2047)

mtoroshanga
29th Jun 2010, 07:16
That South African engineer was probably a Rhodesian called Don Murray, we were in the RRAF together. He was my best mate and died in Jedda in about 1969/70.

bolkow
29th Jun 2010, 09:23
real glad you posted that article on the bell 47, remember reading it once and wishing I'd kept it but have now been able to print off yours. Happy days!

212man
29th Jun 2010, 10:27
did my 206 conversion in Khorramshahr in March '68 and I'm sure he was a lot older than the chap in the photo

My guess is that 42 years ago he would have appeared alot older than perhaps he was ;). When I arrived in Aberdeen I thought Terry Young was old - I now realise he was younger than I am now! :uhoh:

rapman
29th Jun 2010, 11:50
Bolkow I'm glad you enjoyed the article...just a small piece of UK helicopter history that JJ was involved in. :ok:

parabellum
30th Jun 2010, 07:04
Jeez! JJ it is then, makes me wonder just how old I looked in those days!:)

Dave Ed
1st Jul 2010, 17:32
.....and a couple of early Aberdeen I guess....lots of tractors in those days!

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/scan17.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/skyweaver100/Aberdeen/scan18.jpg

HOGE
1st Jul 2010, 17:44
They obviously didn't bother with immersion suits in the old days, did the passengers have life jackets?

Tail-take-off
1st Jul 2010, 17:51
I resent the queen of the skies being called a tractor :*

TipCap
1st Jul 2010, 20:14
Hi Dave

It must have been pre Lee Smith ditching in "HN" as there are no mods to be seen on the S61N from the photo

Reference Immersion Suits, I can't remember. Senility strikes again. I know when I started flying the S61N in Aberdeen in 1973, it was shirt sleeve order. Nothing until after Lee's ditching and then there were those horrendous flotable orange jackets. Mustang was it? I do remember the pax had to come and pick up their own cases though

Looking through my logbook, I see the names of my Co-Pilots then. - Mike Green, John (101) Allerton, Jerry Wright, John McGregor, Kit Chambers, Alan (The Glove) Price, Mike Kennedy, Peter Barnes but to name a few.....

JohnW

TipCap
1st Jul 2010, 20:25
Hey Parabellum

I note you leave your age off. Thats not fair. We are all getting older!!!

Are you sure it was March 68 that JJ did your 206 conversion cos I just checked with my logbook and he did my line check on 20th April 1968 in Ws55s3 G-APRW in TanTan, Morocco

Now wouldnt your motto be more impressive if it was

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh

Best wishes from Wales

JohnW

forget
1st Jul 2010, 20:31
It must have been pre Lee Smith ditching in "HN"

Russ Smith?

Tail-take-off
1st Jul 2010, 20:55
Russ Smith's ditching was in G-AZNE. I have heard the story of the G-BBHN ditching though.

parabellum
1st Jul 2010, 23:04
Tip Cap - John, JJ was only visiting Iran to do conversions to the 206 as he was one of the few TREs then, he signed me off on March 24th so could easily have been in Morocco a month later, he was quite famous for his expenses I seem to remember!;)

Don't think your motto would look so good on a Black Watch cap badge somehow, but would be equally relevant!

No, don't put my age up, (was 69 last week), I used to fancy older women but now I fancy younger women!:)