PDA

View Full Version : CRI courses/thread

ariel
7th Aug 2007, 09:52
There was a thread on here a while back about the class rating instructor rating, detailing what privilleges could be exercised by those who hold it.

I have tried a few searches, but can't find anything. ('Class rating instructor' brings back nothing, and of course, 'CRI' is too short for the search to operate).

If anybody has a link, would you mind posting it?

Thanks
ariel

Whopity
7th Aug 2007, 12:19
http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607096.pdf

Section H JAR-CL 1.380

The privileges of the CRI are to instruct licence holders for the issue of a type or class rating. You can do the 1 hour dual flight for SEP revalidation.

Requirements: 500 hours as pilot of aeroplanes (ME) or 300 hours (SE)
30 hours PIC on the Class or Type
Complete an approved course 5 hours ME (3 hours SE) + theoretical training to include 25 hours teaching and learning.
Pass a Skill test with FIE
To extend to another class or type, a min of 10 hours PIC on the class or type in the previous 12 months.

ariel
7th Aug 2007, 12:41
Whopity

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

I've actually already referenced the CRI in Lasors, but am particulary interested in the past thread on this forum, due to the vast input from various people on the value of the rating.

ariel

smithgd
11th Aug 2007, 22:54
Hi

I have no idea how to insert a link to a thread, sorry. But if you do a search on my user name you will find 2 threads on the subject. :-)

Any issues PM me.

smithgd

BEagle
12th Aug 2007, 06:46
Try here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272019

or here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273971

TheOddOne
12th Aug 2007, 18:20
There are 2 routes to acquiring a CRI in the UK, as I understand it. One is to have 'grandfather rights', having been a PFA coach. I understand that all new entrants must now do what I did last year, which is a proper course, as outlined by Whopity above. We chose the 3 most relevant exercises, stalling, PFL and circuits for the 3 hours course, just as they would be covered as a part of the FI rating and this was followed by a comprehensive long briefing and skills test with an FIE, VERY similar to the full FI skills test, incidentally. The ground school not only covered the teaching and learning requirements but also long briefings of the air exercises and other related subjects. This was all excellent grounding for the FI course which I have just completed. Unfortunately, the CAA, bless 'em, were unable to see thier way clear to allowing any of the CRI course against the 30 hours of the FI course, nor even to take the skills test in lieu of the pre-course assessment flight (just outside the 6-month rule apparently). They did, however, allow the 25 hours 'teaching & learning' element. Just be aware if you're planning to do the CRI and then the FI later (though maybe they might have a change of heart with experience!)

So, was the CRI worth doing? Well, from a personal viewpoint, I'd say 'yes', though I was only able to do 10 hours instructional flying using the rating. Visiting several flying establishments and mentioning to them that I had this rating (but not touting aggressively for business) was usually met with 'wossat, then?', not the 'please come and do PPL checkouts for me, to free up my instructors for students' that maybe I'd hoped for. I think now that more establishments are getting to hear about the rating and maybe thinking about how a rating holder might be of use to them, without taking bread and butter out of the mouths of thier existing instructors (which I wouldn't want to do!).

I had originally taken the rating on mainly to satisfy a need for club checkouts and 2nd-year flights within our Group, for which I think the rating is absolutely excellent. It also obviously formalises the PFA system of pilots who have considerable knowledge of rare types that they can pass on to others new to these aircraft. I'll be very interested to see if there is much use of it made in the flying school environment where possibly CFIs might want to see a more comprehensive qualification for their own staff. Time will tell.

The Odd One

ariel
13th Aug 2007, 12:53
Thanks to all who've replied.

BEagle - thanks, exactly what I've been looking for

ariel