PDA

View Full Version : Density Altitude

BroomstickPilot
5th Aug 2007, 22:50
Hi Guys,
I'm not an instructor, but I would like to draw to the attention of the instructor community a subject that I think is important but doesn't get the attention it deserves.
In a Private Flying thread, there is discussion about the tragic accident on the Isle of Wight. As was said on that thread, it would be wrong to speculate regarding the cause of that particular tragic accident until all the facts are known.
Nevertheless, inevitably the subject of operating in hot weather arose in that thread, and I thought that this presented an opportunity to open discussion on an important, and frequently overlooked, flight safety issue, namely operating in hot weather. This is why I have started this thread. Let me tell you about my 'ILAFFT' experience.
I recently revalidated my PPL after a break of very many years. I did all of my retraining in the UK and most of it during winter. Last year, I nearly had an accident precisely because I did not appreciate the full effect that hot weather could have not only on the performance, but also on the behaviour of a small, light, low powered aircraft.
I was flying an 80hp Sky Arrow VLA solo with no baggage but with full fuel from Old Sarum (285 feet a.m.s.l.) to Sandown at about 3 p.m. on the hottest day of the year, (and last year really was hot). As I recall, the wind was very light that day.
I commenced my takeoff roll as usual, but when I would be doing about 20 odd kts the aircraft suddenly slewed sharply 50 or 60 degrees to the left. I cut the power and applied the breaks to bring the aircraft to a halt. I assumed that my left main undercarriage wheel might have found an odd patch of soft ground on the grass runway but I was not sure. I checked the aircraft, but could find nothing wrong.
So I took the aircraft back onto the runway and commenced a new takeoff. This time the aircraft remained straight, but accelerated more slowly than usual and eventually staggered into the air but would hardly climb at all. At first, I thought I had forgotten to lower the flaps for takeoff, but looking round saw that the flaps were indeed where they were supposed to be. Once well clear of the ground, and into cooler air the rest of the flight was uneventful.
Safe on the ground at Sandown with a cool drink in my hand, I began to do a mental post mortem on the flight. My gliding experience of 40 years ago came to my aid. The first thing I realised was that the reason for the sudden slew was because a huge thermal must have gone up somewhere to my right, causing air to be sucked in suddenly, causing a sudden and strong localised cross wind gust. The Sky Arrow is very light and has a relatively huge tail fin and a free castoring nose wheel, so the gust must have caused her to 'weather-cock' left. (No doubt a Warrior, being heavier and with a steerable nosewheel, would have been much less affected).
I then worked out that the only thing that could have caused the slow acceleration and poor climb was thin air. Back at Old Sarum, I took out my whizz wheel, took the pressure altitude at time of takeoff and corrected it for temperature and worked out that my density altititude at take off must have been about 4,000 feet or more ISA!
In the days leading up to this incident, I had carried out three cross country flights that had all gone like clockwork. For some months previously, my cousin had indicated that she would like to come with me on one of my flights one day. I had thought hard about inviting her to come on my Sandown trip, but in the end decided against it. If she had flown with me on that day, one can only speculate on what the outcome might have been.
The point I am leading up to here is that had I trained in California or Florida, I probably wouldn't have been caught out as I was, as pilots in those places experience high density altitude throughout much of the year. In the UK, however, (at least until now,) we have never had a long summer season of hot weather, and most private pilots only fly about 50 hours annually spread through the year anyway.
Discussing this issue recently with a very experienced instructor, he commented that few UK PPLs would even be acquainted with the term 'density alititude'. I wonder if there is a training issue here that needs better handling? Perhaps on hot days we should have a notice over the door that leads to the apron saying, 'Make sure you calculate your density altitude and your TODR before you depart'.
This subject is now open to the floor.
Broomstick.

Pieman007
6th Aug 2007, 13:33
Good point well made.
I took a trail lesson yesterday with a bloke who would have liked to have brought his wife and son. I had to disappoint them and only brought the son. Even then the pa28 was gasping for breath. If you are carrying people in the back seat of these 4 seaters, ALWAYS check the W&B, regardless of the temp. Its good airmanship.
Lets not forget the landing part too! No wind + hot temps = looooonger than expected touchdown point.

212man
7th Aug 2007, 00:26
"...and corrected it for temperature and worked out that my density altititude at take off must have been about 4,000 feet or more ISA.."

Either it was extremely warm, or I suggest you have another look at your wizz wheel! Hd is approximately Hp +(115 ft per degree above ISA), so by my estimates it must have been about 48 C!

BaulkedApproach
11th Aug 2007, 23:07
Hi guys, I'm an FI in Asia, where temperatures regularly go over 40 Cent. in summer, alongwith high humidity (>60% during the monsoon months). I cannot emphasize enough the need for students to be absolutely clear on how T/O & landing performance changes in such conditions.

fireflybob
11th Aug 2007, 23:17
Rule of thumb for DA - add 120 ft to elevation for every 1 degree C above standard.

Eg Sea Level temp 30 deg C - 15 above standard of plus 15C = 120 x 15 = 1,800 ft DA

212man
11th Aug 2007, 23:49
Er, quite, hence my post (though I was quoting 115 ft per degree) which suggested that either BSP was misreading his wizz wheel, or it was jolly warm! :ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
12th Aug 2007, 04:31
On the subject of density altitude (and with temps over 40 dec C here in the summer it's something we need to be aware of) as well as the changes in take off, landing and climb performance there is the issue of leaning the mixture.

When I was a stude in the UK I was told "ooh no, don't EVER touch the mixture control below 5000 feet!" Visitors to Aus with their JAR licences are, it seems, still being taught the same nonsense.

Warrior POH says "the mixture should be leaned in cruising operation when 75% power or less is being used" (anyone here ever got MORE than 75% power in a Warrior?!)

It's amazing how people will disregard the POH "Because my instructor told me...." or have never seen or read the POH (something to occupy them while the instructor will be "With you in a minute") which is a failing on the part of their flying shool.

I wonder if fouled up plugs could have contributed to the IOW tragedy?

Whirlybird
12th Aug 2007, 07:50
It's amazing how people will disregard the POH "Because my instructor told me...." or have never seen or read the POH

CFI,

I never saw a POH throughout my PPL(A) training. I didn't even know they existed. They're quite often locked away and you practically have it sign the official secrets act to get hold of it. Crazy, but true. :(

BroomstickPilot
12th Aug 2007, 08:59
212man,

I've been meaning to contact the Met Office to find out what the conditions were on that day and then do my calculation again. However, I've just been too busy. All I recall was that it was the hottest time of the hottest day of the hottest year since about 1976 and the point is that I didn't even think about density altitude before departure. I'm prepared to bet that numerous other PPLs at the club that day didn't either, but got away with it because they were flying more powerful aeroplanes with much less than a full load.

On my return, I did the density altitude calculation actually working from the Whizz wheel manual. In recounting my tale, I may have probably got the figures wrong, it was a long time ago, but that's beside the point.

In merely pointing out that my figures in the post must be wrong, your post deflected attention away from the point I was trying to make, namely that over the decades that we had cool summers in the UK we were able to get away with igoring density altitude. After all, few private pilots flew anywhere further afield than central France once a year, (and the vast majority never even went that far, and still don't). As I said in my post, a very experienced instructor told me that most UK PPLs and NPPLs have never even heard the term 'density altitude'.

Today, UK summers are much hotter and we need to be every bit as careful as pilots in Arizona or Namibia, but I don't see this happening. That was the reason for my post.

The other lesser point I was making was that a VLA (especially one with a castoring nosewheel) is very susceptible to thermal activity in these conditions. And the way things are going in the instructing business generally, very many instructors who have spent most of their careers so far on relatively heavy, lumpen Pa28s and C152s will be instructing on VLAs before long.

Broomstick.

212man
12th Aug 2007, 11:02
Well, BSP, I applaud your desire to raise the issue, though I'm appalled that it's considered necessary. How do most PPLs think their aircraft get airborne - little 'lift fairies' :ugh:

It also raises the point, that if you are aware that calculations need to be made, and graphs consulted, you need to be able to do it accurately. Looking at my and FFB's posts you can see quite clearly that it couldn't have been 4000 ft DA- possibly 3000 ft if it was the 39 C day we had a few years ago. That's obviously an error on the safe side, but the reverse would be rather less desirable.

aprildavy
12th Aug 2007, 16:11
In the Pooley's CRP-5, to calculate density altitude, use the AIR SPEED window. Match the pressure altitude (say 300 ft) with air temperature at the airfield, say 30 deg C. Read out the density altitude in the DENSITY ALTITUDE window, ie about 2000 feet. If you matched the temp with the pressure altitude in the ALTITUDE window, you would get a read out of over 3500 feet for density altitude. It could be this is the source of the discrepency in this thread. It wasn't obvious to me that you use the AIRSPEED window, until I read the manual! Just a thought.
:ok:

john_tullamarine
15th Aug 2007, 03:53
Trivial point ... however, if anyone is concerned ... the previous ROT calcs mentioned in earlier posts (115 and 120 ft/deg) are both "correct" ... the equation is not linear and it depends on where you look at the tangent ... just to complicate the consideration, I prefer 118 ft/deg ... for rough back of a fag packet mental calcs, 100 ft/deg gives a close enough answer to check if it is worth digging out the takeoff charts from whichever authoritative document takes your fancy ...

BristolScout
5th Sep 2007, 12:52
I've always been a bit concerned that most SEP PPLs seem to regard the mixture control as a cut-off lever. When I was flying in the old Transvaal, on average 5000ft amsl with summer density altitude in the order of 7000ft, we always leaned out the mixture to get maximum rpm during the power check. I guess that we instruct with mixture fully rich as a belt and braces to avoid the student pulling the lever back too far when solo and stopping the engine. I do try to teach the principles in Effects of Controls (2) but my feeling is that this gets lost as it is in the early days when Bloggs has lots of more important things cluttering up the learning curve. Further, we are probably on a sticky wicket from a liability aspect if we teach leaning-out techniques on aeroplanes without EGT gauges - most of the training fleet, in my experience.This might be a good topic for an Instructor Seminar.