PDA

View Full Version : USB Device Not Recognized

pipersfather
4th Aug 2007, 01:53
I haven't been able to use any USB devices over the past few days. Last week it was fine but now when i plug something in i get the message "USB Device Not Recognized"

I've tried googling the answer but can't find a solution. Can anyone help?

I'm running Windows XP SP2 for the past 8 months

bonzaman
4th Aug 2007, 02:22
Try Device Manager to check functioning of USB Controllers and Devises. Yellow question mark indicates a problem which may well be a faulty driver.
Device manager is found by right clcking My Computer,Properties, Hardware, then click on Device Manager.

pipersfather
4th Aug 2007, 07:36
No luck yet. Device manager says "This device is working properly."

I tried updating the drivers for the USB ports but the message i get is "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware"

When i plug in my CF card reader or pendrive it says "No drivers are installed for this device". I can't install the drivers for this hardware and previously the PC installed the driver automatically.

NutLoose
4th Aug 2007, 09:48
Take it you did the shut down, restart then plug in senario.... I had similar and cured it by swopping them round, item would just not be recognised on one USB port, but was fine on a different one..........

Keef
4th Aug 2007, 13:10
That's a good "first fix"!

For reasons I don't understand, if you connect the same device to a different USB socket, Windows will need to reinstall the drivers for that socket. If the device doesn't work in its usual slot, plug it into a different one. It may ask for the driver disk (but you can usually tell it to find the driver, which is likely to be in C: \Windows\System32 anyway.

toothpic
14th Aug 2007, 07:52
Found this link with some useful and successfull replies on this topic....http://www.ntcompatible.com/Desperately_need_help_---_USB_Devices_Not_Recognized_t32356.html

extreme P
14th Aug 2007, 17:04
My favorite USB fix is to uninstall the USB card through Device Manager then restart the machine. It is reinstalled on the following start up with a new outlook on things.

Bushfiva
15th Aug 2007, 00:31
For reasons I don't understand, if you connect the same device to a different USB socket, Windows will need to reinstall the drivers for that socket

One of the wonders of Windows & USB: it identifies a device with a specific port when it is installed. If you plug the device into another port, Windows goes through the installation process again.

For fun, try plugging a daisy-chain of powered hubs into a different port: Windows has a WTF moment as the shape of its world changes. :ooh: