PDA

View Full Version : Visual manoeuvring with prescribed track

NorthSouth
3rd Aug 2007, 09:32
I'm grappling with the issue of the go-around from a visual manoeuvring (circling) approach with prescribed track.

The standard (ICAO Doc 8168) missed approach procedure from one of these beasts is to carry out a 180 turn back on to the downwind leg, starting after passing the end of the runway you're landing on. This is to position you for a second attempt at a VM(C) approach. However clearly to do this you'd need to (a) be able to see when you've passed the end of the runway and (b) maintain visual reference so you can continue to fly a second attempt at the approach. This means you would not generally want to climb above the circling MDA on the go-around. In other words this is a visual go-around.

Then there's the go-around if you lose visual reference during the VM(C) approach. It seems to me that what you do in these circumstances depends on where you are in the approach. If you're anywhere between the start of the procedure and the end of the downwind leg, as I understand it you'd then manoeuvre to fly the MAP for the runway to which you made the instrument approach in the first place - usually involving an initial turn towards the airfield then pick up the missed approach track.

But if you've made the turn from downwind on to final, and started descent from MDA, then lose vis ref, what do you do? Climb straight ahead to MDA then turn 180 to pick up the missed approach for the instrument runway, or what?

Any tips gratefully received.

NS

DB6
3rd Aug 2007, 13:01
From PANS-OPS Section 4.7, Missed Approach Procedure While Circling:
If visual reference is lost while circling to land from an IAP, the missed approach specified for that procedure must be followed. It is expected that the pilot will make an initial climbing turn toward the landing runway and overhead the aerodrome where the pilot will establish the aircraft climbing on the missed approach track. (etc etc)..different patterns will be required...depending on the position at the time visual reference is lost.
From Section 4.8, Visual Manoeuvring Using Prescribed Track:
The missed approach for the normal IAP applies, but the prescribed tracks provide for manoeuvring to allow for a go-around and to achieve a safe altitude thereafter (joining the downwind leg of the prescribed track procedure or the instrument missed approach trajectory).
My copy is dated 25 Nov 04, don't know if it's changed since then. Not sure if that helps.

NorthSouth
3rd Aug 2007, 15:22
Ah yes, PANS-OPS Vol.1 - I always forget that it has much more concise descriptions of things than the Vol.2 - no doubt so that simple pilots like me can understand them.

Very useful, thanks, it confirms what I thought.

NS

error_401
4th Aug 2007, 11:29
Now try this for go-arounds in funny situations:

Cleared for an ILS on 35R - subsequent clearance to visually swing over to 35L. Slow Turboprop - you see the 767 which was following you already on your right side established on the 35R ILS. Now - which GoAround do you follow?
Only a GPS approach on 35L but you are never cleared for that but only for a visual swing-over. No specific go-around instruction issued. (I guess they would if necessary). Still the "but" and a doubt remains. Do you follow:

1) The go-around on 35R for which you had originally the clearance and which you partially flew? But now in the visual on 35R ILS there is the 767 ???

2) The only published go-around following the GPS approach MAP?

I'll try and talk to approach and tower the next time i'm there. Maybe they have some smart ideas.

Any indication from you guys about what ICAO or other docs say is highly welcome.

reynoldsno1
6th Aug 2007, 21:56
My copy is dated 25 Nov 04, don't know if it's changed since then
Latest Edition 6 dated 15 Mar 07 - there have been a lot of significant changes in the past 3 years .....:uhoh:

ShockWave
7th Aug 2007, 04:18
error_401: If there is no side step approach chart then you are now doing a circling app proceedure even though you are just sliding across to another runway. So in the event of a missed app you must follow the proceedure for the original app runway unless ATC clear you differently.
Circling with prescribed tracks!
Basically you follow the published missed app proceedure on the chart. However you are flying three approaches in one here so be very careful!
1)The intrument app....follow the charted MA proc.
2)The prescribed track....this is not your normal visual app, you must stay on the prescibed track until you can intercept your final app path visually, if you must GA, then follow the charted MA proc.
3)The visual app....stay within your circling area defined by your aircraft category and turn towards the runway,climb to charted MA alt and possition your aircraft to intercept the original MA proc.
These approaches can be used in some very nasty areas, generally with mountains or high terrain surrounding the runway and probably crap weather. Good luck.

bookworm
7th Aug 2007, 07:57
It is expected that the pilot will make an initial climbing turn toward the landing runway and overhead the aerodrome where the pilot will establish the aircraft climbing on the missed approach track.

Someone emphasised this to me a while back, and I think it's helpful to do so. A climbing turn towards the landing runway, not the instrument runway.

Pera
7th Aug 2007, 10:32
error 401

wouldn't you now be doing a visual approach to 35L. In that case wouldn't you climb straight ahead visually and await instructions.

mustafagander
7th Aug 2007, 11:16
All this debate underlines the absolute necessity to brief thoroughly your intentions in the event of a missed approach.

FWIW our current sim check involves an ILS to circ minima then circle to land on the reciprocal. After much navel contemplation, I deduced that the procedure for a G/A should be the published G/A for the ILS (non landing) runway until turning final, then, if necessary, make an appropriate turn to pick up the published G/A for the ILS runway. This turn direction (left or right) is, of course, dictated by local considerations such as terrain, control zone boundaries and the like. This demands that you have thoroughly thought out the intended operation, probably one of the main points of the sim profile, I guess.

error_401
7th Aug 2007, 21:25
thanks schockwaves
thanks mustafagander

that has been the reason to post this example. If ATC is not giving instructions during the approach for the MAP then things could go very quick in case of a GA. Yes it really depends. We limit ourselves to that manoeuvre only in good visibility minimum 5000 m and ceiling above the OM of the ILS, well above circling minima.

Nevertheless the next time I go there I will simply go to tower and ask them. maybe they have a good idea as well. I'll be back with the answer.

error 401

Rainboe
7th Aug 2007, 22:10
This has come up in the simulator recently. Bear in mind the landing runway may not necessarily be the reciprocal of the runway you carry out the approach on. You must KISS (keep it simple). Go around, turn towards the airfield if not pointing at it, get yourself onto the original approach MA track by the easiest method, carry out the full Go-around procedure. If you're on final and you have to turn 180 degrees for the reciprocal runway go around- which way do you think you should turn? Clue- which side did you fly the circuit on? Don't you think that is the best bet?
Remember, you're only doing a circling approach because the weather is too dodgy for a simple visual circuit and there is no aid on that runway. Any loss of visual reference during a go-around must lead to an immediate full go-around procedure. With ATC consent- a second visual attempt may be made, maintaining full visual reference at all times.

NorthSouth
8th Aug 2007, 07:39
Rainboe:
I agree it doesn't sound right, but this is what PANS-OPS I-4-7-App-1 para 1.3 says about go-arounds from visual manoeuvring with prescribed track:

At the end of the visual manoeuvring track, a go-around procedure for a second prescribed track manoeuvring is provided. In some cases, the go-around procedure can join the instrument missed approach procedure.(my italics). In other words they're saying it's not a go-around to fly the whole instrument procedure again, it's a go-around so you can re-attempt the visual manoeuvring component. If you were doing that it would make no sense to climb above circling MDA because you were down there in the first place in order to stay visual. May not be to everyone's taste, but it is what the book says.
I imagine the sort of scenario they're talking about is if, say, there's a runway incursion, or you're too high/too fast on final but still visual with the runway.
NS

Rainboe
8th Aug 2007, 08:01
Yes, this is correct, and I was too black and white in my statement. It is reasonable if you have gone around for an irrelevant reason as you state to stay at circling limit,fly a circuit and land as long as you remain in visual sight of the airfield at all times. Effectively on the go-around and overhead you will lose it, but as long as temporarily you have visual reference and are aware of your position, I see nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking Chambery, where you carry out a long ILS to RW18, break off, fly a circuit to the east to land on 36. If you then have to go-around, you either climb back out on the localiser or can go straight into another visual circuit with ATC consent. But you must be disciplined. If you lose contact, then an immediate go-around must be flown.

NorthSouth
8th Aug 2007, 08:30
Sheeesh, that's a scary one - terrain >4000 above the threshold elevation within 3 DME! I see the min vis for the circling manoeuvre is 3000m, but I don't fancy flying it in that given that you have to have visual reference by 2 DME on the ILS to take up the prescribed track to the left.
NS

discountinvestigator
9th Aug 2007, 07:56
It is always a point of debate what happens for the side step runway landing. You have effectively been recleared to make an approach to the new runway. You have not been cleared to make an ILS/LOC/NDB/VOR/GNSS/DME approach in the phraseology, so it must be a visual approach.

Unless otherwise published, is the visual approach go-around not just a left-hand visual circuit?

It is a question I always like to ask during the inspections and investigations. I sat on a jumpseat for a well known 25R to 25L "Swing to the Left" in Europe, and awaited the controller's response to the crew request for the missed approach track.
PNF Is it straight ahead?
ATCO Negative, departing traffic about to roll on the right
PNF Is it left?
ATCO Negative, departing traffic runway 18
PNF Is it right?
ATCO Negative, conflict with earlier departing traffic... Do you need to go-around?

Rainboe
9th Aug 2007, 10:05
NSSheeesh, that's a scary one - terrain >4000 above the threshold elevation within 3 DME! I see the min vis for the circling manoeuvre is 3000m, but I don't fancy flying it in that given that you have to have visual reference by 2 DME on the ILS to take up the prescribed track to the left.
NS
Yes quite! Chambery is quite the most complicated (and scary) place I have flown into. The fact it needs a 4.5 degree ILS GS is one thing, but the rest of the procedures are a real handful.
So you've broken off left at 2 DME, flown a visual circuit and approached to the north, then gone around. As long as you stay visual a circuit to the right is fine. But if you lose visual reference downwind-
turn towards airfield
now what?- follow original 18 ILS go-around to south and fly loop before coming back overhead and back coursing localiser north, or
turn north from overhead and back course localiser north?
I can't remember from my notes!

But don't fly a R/W36 left circuit!