PDA

View Full Version : LACC ATCO TRUCE season

turn right 5 degrees
1st Aug 2007, 11:49
It's approaching that time of year when LACC ATCO's are put throught thier paces during their annual TRUCE training, again this year we are inviting you airways users to join us, the dates are :-
10 October 2007
12 October 2007
14 October 2007
16 October 2007
18 October 2007
20 October 2007
22 October 2007
24 October 2007
26 October 2007
28 October 2007
30 October 2007
01 November 2007
03 November 2007
17 November 2007
19 November 2007
23 November 2007
25 November 2007
27 November 2007
29 November 2007
01 December 2007
03 December 2007
05 December 2007
07 December 2007
11 December 2007
13 December 2007
The sessions start at 1400 but arriving at 1330 would enable a visit to the ops room here at Swanwick. Dinner and mileage costs will be provided to participants.
If you are interested please contact either
[email protected] or [email protected]
Regards
t r 5 d
ps Mr Moderator could you make this sticky please

Glass Half Empty
1st Aug 2007, 19:06
please explain what it is exactly?

lobby
1st Aug 2007, 19:14
I believe it actually starts at 1400 not 1430 :ugh:

Spitoon
1st Aug 2007, 19:18
It's regular refresher training for controllers - it stands for TRaining for Unusual Circumstances and Emergencies.

Each unit has its own plan tailored for the traffic and situations that its controllers might be confronted with. I'm afraid I can't really tell you what LACC would do during these sessions because I don't work there.....but in my experience it's far more valuable for the controllers if there are pilots involved, the pilots also get to see stuff that they wouldn't normally - and it's more fun!

2nd Aug 2007, 08:50
It involves a few lectures/briefings on TRM (holey cheese and all that) followed by a few hours of practical sims where alot of different situations are thrown at us. The ATCOs are assesed on how well we deal with different circumstances etc. :eek:

A pilot that is involved would be in the ACPOs room (they drive the planes and pretend to be pilots) giving a more realistic response and feel to the whole emergency, answering and acting as they would during the same situation in the real world. They then come through to the simulator and give us feedback on what they liked, what they didn't like and generally how well they felt the emergency was handled. Very beneficial for the ATCOs as we get a better understanding of what might happen and hopefully beneficial for the pilots as they get to see what we can do to help them and the way we operate. Generally good fun :)

turn right 5 degrees
2nd Aug 2007, 12:23
lobby,

You are correct the TRUCE sessions do start at 1400.

t r 5 d

MrHorgy
2nd Aug 2007, 12:39
Do they need GA or student Pilots? I'm about to start IR training so will be going into airways, seems like an interesting thing to see?

Horgy

turn right 5 degrees
2nd Aug 2007, 12:58
MrHorgy

Ideally we are looking for those that have airways experience but send your details to one of the above and we will try and fit you in.

Regards

t r 5 d

5milesbaby
6th Aug 2007, 21:19
Its aimed at those that have full experience - we need their knowledge of handling emergencies to make our simulations as realistic as possible. I would imagine that any training pilots will benefit however personally at being at the simulation, but I don not know if Swanwick would be forthcoming in offering a place for this.

For any pilots that are interested - my first experience of TRUCE with a qualified pilot involved was only last year, we were fortunate to have 2 pilots present. This gave us extensive knowledge both from a long haul first officer and short haul captain - the senario's they dreampt up were very realistic (one had done his own sim training check the week before so just re-inacted those for us from ATC point of view). The suprising thing was that BOTH pilots learnt alot from the session too, they were amazed at the kit we had and how competent we are with it, and saw the workload an emergency makes for us as well and how quickly people around us get involved. They also saw benefits of our equipment, how accurate it can be, and how we can help out at that time things go wrong.

Yes, the benefits of you being there are reaped by us, but I think every visitor will take something away with themselves too. The sessions are very relaxed and although we are assessed, its not a pass or fail, if someones abilities aren't quite right then further training is given. It takes years before a valid ATCO loses the nerves before a TRUCE session, and even now that MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY shouted at you during a run still makes me shiver - it certainly focuses your mind :uhoh:

lobby
14th Aug 2007, 14:49
5milesbaby
Actually it is a pass fail assessment.
This is a section from CAP744 United Kingdom Manual of Personnel Licensing - Air Traffic Controllers
12.5 Action when a controller fails a TRUCE assessment
A controller who is assessed as not competent to handle unusual circumstances and
aircraft emergencies is to be withdrawn from duty. In such cases the ATS provider
must immediately report the action to the ATSD Regional Manager or Head of En-
Route and College Regulation as appropriate, who will provisionally suspend the
rating in which the controller failed to demonstrate competence in handling unusual
circumstances and aircraft in emergency.
In consultation with the ATS provider, the ATSD Regional Manager or Head of En-
Route and College Regulation as appropriate will determine the conditions for the
withdrawal of the provisional suspension, normally a period of retraining and
assessment.
Provided the controller satisfies these conditions, the provisional suspension will be
withdrawn. Failure to meet the conditions will result in the CAA taking further
licensing action as detailed in paragraph 15 of this part of the Manual.

Hope this clears things up for you.

MancBoy
17th Aug 2007, 16:58
I had a MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY moment this morning and my Truce training definitely helped.

Plus the fact I'd judt dropped the kids off worked wonders too!

katanapilot
26th Sep 2007, 09:18
Hi, I have applied to attend one of the TRUCE days via both of the email addresses mentioned, but no joy. Can anyone help?

Grasscarp
26th Sep 2007, 14:05
Just tried to volunteer but the email bounced back as undeliverable.:confused:

Grond
26th Sep 2007, 20:33
try caroline.clark without the 'e'. That's the address on the email I received.
rgds,