PDA

View Full Version : Lisbon (Sunday 29th)

Diver_Dave
31st Jul 2007, 19:23
Kudos to the Thomsonfly captain and crew who
bought us back Sunday Lunchtime (767-200)

It took me 3 hrs to get through Lisbon and still have to run to
get to the gate on time only to find I was one of the first through!

Obviously the flight was severely delayed and the announcement by the
Captain was first rate, including the memorable line.

"Don't you think they'd understand that if you open all four security
queues instead of two the mighe be able to deal with twice the amount of people?"

Cue huge laugh from the 40 or so of us who'd boarded at that point.

Ok it wasn't just security, passport control and check in were a nightmare
too, however, his point was well made, humorous and beautifully timed.

Well done to an obviously tired cabin team as well.

Just additionally, now the question part(s).

1) Is Lisbon always that bouncy coming in? My partner's flown the route
about 10-15 times and she says in's always interesting.

2) Just before coming over the city to start a left circling turn (with a final
right) to the runway, there's another what appears to be large airport / field /odrome. Is this commercial as well?

3) Again as you come over the suspension bridge off to the right is what looks like another runway. I'm guessing military. Can someone suggest what?

Beers are riding on 2 and 3.

Mainly though well done to the crew sunday.

Oh and sending the 762 instead of the 732 we went down on was really
nice, loads of room!.

Regards and tanks

DaveA

FormerFlake
31st Jul 2007, 21:29
Across the river from Lisbon you have Montijo Air Force Base (LPMT), West of Lisbon approx 40 km you have Cascais civil airport (LPCS) and North of Cascais airport you have Sintra Air Force Base (LPST).

Diver_Dave
31st Jul 2007, 21:39
Thanks for that.

I think it was Montijo and Cascais I saw then.

I'm guessing the turbulance is mainly caused by cooler air
off of the river and the amount of apartment blocks under the flightpath
although my field is physics not aerodynamics.

Oh and what a beautiful city, mind you the area round Oriente looks
like a set from a sci-fi movie! Logans run sprins to mind.

Loved the place, even if departures is a bit err... chaotic :-)

Thanks again.

DaveA

Rainboe
31st Jul 2007, 21:43
"If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation please use this forum for questions. Enthusiasts, please use the 'Spectators Balcony' forum."

SLFguy
3rd Aug 2007, 11:49
Rainboe - there's a post in 'Rotorheads' that should clearly be in 'Medical & Health'...for the love of God man, hurry.

Rainboe
4th Aug 2007, 05:48
I'm not a Rotorhead. You saw a post like that and you did nothing about it? In fact a post like this should have had something done about it. Excruciatingly embarassing. No wonder no reply about it. Largely about 'Me and my travails on my travels!'. With Oscars freely handed out. Def not Questions. The clue is in the "If you are a professional pilot or your work involves professional aviation....."

SLFguy
4th Aug 2007, 12:05
I know, I know....couldn't let it pass though....:)

Jetdriver
4th Aug 2007, 23:38
In fact we have never discouraged "Questions" from anybody asked to a professional pilot, on the basis that a professional pilot is likely the best person to answer such a question. However that does not mean that if someone is flying on their annual holiday to some Greek island and wants to know the position of every waypoint en-route, that it will likely survive long in this forum.

This thread was borderline and probably caught me on a good day, but it did include a couple of questions that could be answered by professional pilots. Since it is my judgement call, voila. You can blame me. Rainboe we have a report the post to the moderator function which was not used on this occaision. By now it would have started to slip off the front page, save for your keeping it alive with your duly noted comments on the standard of moderation.

Rainboe
5th Aug 2007, 09:59
Point taken! But this really was 'Me and my departure lounge experiences' rather than tech questions . Borderline I agree, but in view of the length and the few technical questions, what tipped it for me was the insulting reference to the 737 at the end. There are one or two places here that should be left inviolably for pilot technical stuff, and this, along with Tech Log are they.

I shall shut it!