PDA

View Full Version : FI Career but what about EASA?

Squat-thrust
31st Jul 2007, 13:23
I am a 500 hour PPL who is seriously looking at becoming a career FI.
The whole ATPL exams, CPL then FI course might take me up to 18 months (hope to hold down my current job as long as I can)
The thing is there are rumours regarding possible changes due to EASA. Would these possible changes if any effect the training path towards becoming a FI and when would these changes come in effect?
I did hear that under EASA PPLs could get their FI tickets and get paid - if true is there any point going down the CPL route now?

Pieman007
1st Aug 2007, 14:16
Judging by the lack of response, no-one is sure, including myself. You dont have to do the entire ATPL exam set only the CPL ones. Places like On-Track do a CPL - FI only course. Check those guys out, they are very good.

RVR800
3rd Aug 2007, 15:14
The CAA is going to consult the 'industry' on this very point.....

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/137/Instructor%20Shortages.pdf

Squat-thrust
5th Aug 2007, 17:36
Thanks chaps for your response.
I think I shall complete my ATPLs then do the CPL followed by the FI course, this will keep my options open in regard to teaching Mutli/IR in the future (3 years from exams) and/or fly air taxi (some schools have this add on business)

Always Moving
6th Aug 2007, 03:55
To teach you only need a Commercial license. and a FI rating (license) depends of the place.
To fly in an airline you need an ATPL license.

Squat-thrust
6th Aug 2007, 09:02
Always moving, thanks
Now currently looking at Atlantic Flight training at Coventry at their D/L CPL written exams.
I'll have to be realistic that once trained as a FI by around 39, the chances of sideslipping into the airlines (multi-crew) a few years later would be small.

Pieman007
6th Aug 2007, 12:48
39 aint that old. There are older guys who started late and are currently flying professionally. I actually know a guy who instructed for 3 years then got a job with BA

rightbank
8th Aug 2007, 06:21
If you just want to instruct then doing the ATPL exams will be pointless as you will never get the 500 multi-crew hours needed to get the license issued. However if you do want to go to the airlines then it is essential to take them. 39 is not too old. I was older than that when I got my first full time job, and I know of one pilot who got his first job (on a jet) after only instructing experience at age 50.

Felix Saddler
9th Sep 2007, 20:14
So if what has been said is happening, PPL's can in effect do a FI and start teaching? hmmm seems a little worrying....

Always Moving
10th Sep 2007, 00:37
But what's with the "I want to work for an airline" the meat drivers on fix route!
there is tons of jobs more interesting than an airline. The only cool thing is that the planes are bigger. Is it a male thing like the "let's see who has, drives the biggest......" And now thanks to the new generation on back stabbers, they do not even pay good, since they are all too thrill to pay themselves for a TR and/or getting paid peanuts....(But look mommy I am flying an airliner!)

I personally thing the airline gig will be very cool the first 6 months, after that......