PDA

View Full Version : QF A333 heated floors no more???

speedbirdhouse
30th Jul 2007, 11:28
Not being particularly fond of the aircraft to work on it did come as a pleasant surprise to find that those thoughtful chaps at Airbus installed heated floor areas around the doors making a normally cold and unpleasant area comfortable to be in and around.

Can any engineers shed any light on why it seems that the floors are no longer heated resulting in the girls [who seem to feel the cold] having to wrap themselves in several blankets when occupying galley areas on those long night sectors?

squawk6969
30th Jul 2007, 11:32
You Silly Head....

They are hiding any famous movie stars under those blankets, en-root to the lav's:E

SQ

OK I am outa here:}

flypy
30th Jul 2007, 13:03
Speedbird:

Do you mean the floor heating isnt being fitted on new A/C anymore or it isn't being operated?

speedbirdhouse
31st Jul 2007, 00:02
From what I hear it seems that it isn't being used any more even though it is still fitted.

404 Titan
31st Jul 2007, 00:16
I’m not an engineer but we at CX have had an ongoing problem or apparent problem with them. On a number of occasions cabin crew have reported that the floors have got much hotter than usual. I believe all ours have now been deactivated as a precaution against a possible overheat. I am not aware of any regulative or manufacturer’s directive but one could be out there now?

Going Boeing
31st Jul 2007, 03:04
404 Titan

Just wondering how many A330's Cathay have in service now and how many have the higher max BRW? Thanks

Buster Hyman
31st Jul 2007, 04:21
Well, it certainly couldn't be heated by the friction of the QF FA's as they served the punters!!!:}:ouch::suspect:

(Where's Lowerlobe when you need him...)

speedbirdhouse
31st Jul 2007, 04:37
Thanks 404 Titan. The heated floors sure were a nice touch.

While they lasted........

Jet Jockey
31st Jul 2007, 06:08
Jetstars latest new A330-200 VH-EBE has heated galley floors. I would say the bean counters didn't tick that box on the order form.

pilotdude09
31st Jul 2007, 08:52
Well Buster when the IFE is u/s what else is there to do?? :sad::O

Qantas does like to keep its passengers satisfied :ok:

speedbirdhouse
31st Jul 2007, 09:52
jetjockey,

all QF's A330's came with heated floors in the door areas. They have all been disabled.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I suspect or perhaps some genius saw it as another opportunity to disengage.

lowerlobe
31st Jul 2007, 20:42
Does anyone know if this disabling of the floor heaters saves fuel and if so how much?

Or is it just a matter of saving on maintenance?

stubby jumbo
1st Aug 2007, 11:06
The extra churn the engines have to make to run the generators to provide the power to heat the elements to heat the floor = $4,567.99 in additional fuel burn.

Therefore DC gave the order.............."let 'em freeze"

Goes straight to the bonus..................luv it.

twiggs
1st Aug 2007, 11:11
I’m not an engineer but we at CX have had an ongoing problem or apparent problem with them. On a number of occasions cabin crew have reported that the floors have got much hotter than usual. I believe all ours have now been deactivated as a precaution against a possible overheat. I am not aware of any regulative or manufacturer’s directive but one could be out there now?

I think it is a similar problem with our A330's.
This was talked about on crew voice a couple of months ago and I recall someone from engineering advising that it was being addressed.

As was highlighted in the latest FAAA OH&S newsletter, we need some knitwear or similar for use on all aircraft where is is very cold in the galleys and crewrest.
Unfortunately it seems management are being ridiculous and suggesting we should be wearing thermal underwear!
What are they suggesting, we put on thermals after the meal service, or do they think we should be wearing them all the time, even in tropical climates?

jettison valve
1st Aug 2007, 20:05
We´ve encountered massive problems with the HFPs: Either they don´t heat, generate smoke/smell, or overheat.:mad: Apparently, it all comes from the choice of materials and joining them in areas of high mechanical load (the ladies´ heels, trolleys etc.). Fluid ingress does the rest.
AI and Goodrich (?) have been developing back and forth, and just prior to qualifiying a new type last year, it failed. Now, they moved on to use titanium panels AFAIK.
The new type should be available in the coming months; hopefully, that´ll end the constant stream of HFPs that need replacement.:rolleyes:

I don´t think disabling the HFPs has something to do with fuel saving.

Cheers,
J.V.

lowerlobe
1st Aug 2007, 21:16
Quote from Twiggs..

it seems management are being ridiculous and suggesting we should be wearing thermal underwear!

Well,those who work in the office really would not have much of an idea of what crew do would they !!!!!

EngineOut
1st Aug 2007, 23:00
Going Boeing,

CX operate 27 A330-300, with another 5 on order. The 28th will arrive shortly.

roamingwolf
2nd Aug 2007, 00:06
i reckon the visitors in team evil should turn off the office heating in winter and see how much fun they reckon it is to be cold.