PDA

View Full Version : Another part-time Instructing Q

High Wing Drifter
29th Jul 2007, 19:08
Hi all,

I really would like to get into some part-time instructing. However, It was suggested to me that to do so I would need to work both days at the weekend or else I simply won't get any students, I kind of had in mind one weekend day in mind as the 'day' job occupies the remainder of the week. Thinking back to my PPL, my instructors only did one weekend day and it didn't occur to me to insist on just one instructor for my PPL.

My question to the experienced FIs amongst you, does part-time realistically require that kind of weekend commitment?

Cheers!

ERIK C
29th Jul 2007, 19:53
I am a "Sunday" instructor. My students mostly fly on Sundays only. Occasionally I take a day off during the week together with one student to do a navigation exercise and/or groundschool. There are also many trial lessons on Sundays.
But it is important that you are consistent. If you tell your CFI and your students that you fly on Sundays then they will expect you to be there every Sunday...
Erik

High Wing Drifter
31st Jul 2007, 09:09
Thanks for the response Erik,

That kind of consistent weekend commitment wouldn't be an issue for me, neither should taking say a few days off in the year here and there, so that gives me more confidence that it is worthwhile to press on with the rating.

Thanks again.

the dean
31st Jul 2007, 09:59
hi high...!!

no what you have been told is not correct unless you intend to operate at an unusual place.

i am in JAAland...but instructed in a private group on an ad hoc and as required basis but in a professional school on saturdays only for 15 years...

not a problem...go for it.:ok:

the dean.

ERIK C
31st Jul 2007, 10:49
High Wing Drifter,

the flying school you will work for will provide you with trial lessons when you start. Then it is up to you to start your own "business". These trial lessons are very important for you, listen very well to the people, give them an unforgettable flying experience and answer all their questions. Try to convince them to come back for a real flying lesson but don't be too pushy. Don't think short term only. So, during the trial lesson you have to do your sales pitch. If you are good at converting people to start a PPL course, you are in business and your employer will love you for it. The rest will follow automatically...

Good luck and go for it!

martinidoc
31st Jul 2007, 11:28
I too just do Sunday's (with occassional extras). I have found it immensley enjoyable, and have had the priviledge of progressing numerous students through their PPL courses and getting lots of Trial lessons interested in flying. I am sure there are plenty of flying scholls who would welcome you with open arms.
Good luck

High Wing Drifter
1st Aug 2007, 07:32
Erik, The Dean and Martinidoc,

Thanks again for your insight and encouragement. I shall indeed be going for it :ok:

RodgerF
1st Aug 2007, 09:19
HWD,

I worked on regular Saturdays for 20 years with a day job. No problems with this arrangement. Flying both days at the weekend and a day job is madness. We all need days off. Go for it, you will not regret it. Now I'm retired from the day job I do 3-4 days a week flying, not more.

Pieman007
1st Aug 2007, 10:43
My advise is to go for both days. Chances are you will not be there all day anyway and might start late/get away early. There is the weather to consider too, how many saturdays and sundays in the year are flying days? I work through the week and instruct on sat and sun and I love it. You get the odd day off anyway due to weather and you can always say you cant come in on the odd occasion. This time of year it is hard work but I wouldnt want to do anything else with my weekends :)
Give it a go, if it gets too much you can always change.

timzsta
4th Aug 2007, 18:59
Are you suggesting I am mad Roger?;)

ORBITAL
4th Aug 2007, 19:58
Iam Sure He Is Not But It Does Help