PDA

View Full Version : SAAB Off SYD RWY?

Stiff Under Carriage
29th Jul 2007, 06:54
Anyone know anything about about a REX SAAB going off the RWY at SYD.

Possibly due hydraulic failure?

No Further Requirements
29th Jul 2007, 07:25
Nothing on the ATIS at the moment:

ATIS YSSY A 290710
APCH: EXP INDEPENDENT VISUAL APCH
RWY: 16L AND R FOR ARRS AND DEPS
OPR INFO: PARL RWY OPS IN PROG.
INDEPENDENT DEPARTURES IN PROG
+ WND: 170/8
WX: CAVOK
+ TMP: 13
+ QNH: 1013

Tom Sawyer
29th Jul 2007, 08:04
It happened early this morning. Don't know any details apart from it caused the closure of the main runway for a while.

Topview
29th Jul 2007, 09:48
The closure this morning was due to a Metroliner losing its nosewheel steering during the landing rollout. Very slowly rolled from the runway onto the grass.

The Saab about lunchtime had a loss of hydraulic fluid apparently and had to manually extend the gear and perform a flapless landing.

After clearing the main runway the aircraft seemed to lose steering and veered slowly from taxiway alpha onto the grass.

Buy Carumba
29th Jul 2007, 10:09
Pretty much as Top View describes. From the inside - 50 mins approx in the air - pax not advised of problem, were told by 1 of the pale faced flight crew after landing. Few fingernails less.Good job under obvious pressure.

18-Wheeler
29th Jul 2007, 12:05
Quick thread hijack sorry.
Being an ex-Metro driver, I was very used to getting them around without any nosewheel steering. Just using a touch of differential braking and asymmetric thrust. I made sure anyone new on the POS was also used to getting it around that way, as sooner or later they too would lose the nosewheel steering.
What's the story with Saab's? Can't they too be given a little direction with brakes/thrust?

Howard Hughes
29th Jul 2007, 21:40
The Saab about lunchtime had a loss of hydraulic fluid apparently and had to manually extend the gear and perform a flapless landing.
Oh the dreaded flapless landing on 3000M of bitumen...:rolleyes:

KRUSTY 34
29th Jul 2007, 21:40
I know it's a rumour network guys, but try to rely on the facts.

A total loss of hydraulic fluid and pressure will quickly result in the complete loss of flap. brakes, nosewheel steering etc..., and if you don't act quickly, complete gear extension.

You should not underestimate the seriousness of the problem. I think the boys did a terrific job.

aulglarse
30th Jul 2007, 07:16
Last year a SAAB diverted from Ballina to Coolangatta due to a hydraulic problem( can't remember exact details ), was that scenario similar or related to this one?

KRUSTY 34
31st Jul 2007, 06:29
No,

Different scenario that one.

kiwi chick
6th Aug 2007, 05:23
Oh the dreaded flapless landing on 3000M of bitumen...

giggle....