PDA

View Full Version : Who operates Sierra National FNA-LPA-LGW?

Next Generation PSR
10th Jan 2001, 17:56
Just wondering who operates this route and what types are employed.

I did a flight down there on the 727 just before the coup back in 1998, we were one of the few British aircraft to have operated recently into Freetown at that time.

Curious about the present operation - any info guys?

Boss Raptor
10th Jan 2001, 18:02
I understand it to be a joint venture with a DXB based company called Nova Gulf - initially to be operated by NG's B727-200 until then I think they realised a 72 was not Stage 3...then a B737-400, again to be bought in by NG...

The 727 was seen operating for Sierra National into Banjul and the LON schedule is on the CRS but I am not certain if it is being operated yet.

73 or 72 it will cause problems when the locals turn up with all their baggage, boxes etc. as they do in most parts of Africa!

Next Generation PSR
10th Jan 2001, 21:36
Thanks for the info, I can definately vouch for the baggage, ours was an hour and a half leaving LGW due to overweight, and then after re-fuelling/crew change in Malaga our 727-200 gradually, full power on started to roll and roll and roll and roll.

I remember turning to one of the cabin crew and saying "well up would be nice"

The other crew at the hotel said our poor 727 just seemed to hang in the sky and not climb when they viewed it from the balcony taking off!

And well as for the smell of the aircraft, the toilets could be smelt from halfway down the cabin and from the bottom of the ventral airstairs.

JJflyer
16th Jan 2001, 02:04
Still using contract crews??? anybody here flying for these fellows or know anybody who is?

JJ

Gunship
25th Jan 2001, 20:54
So far so good - yes it is still a 727 - 200 being operated from FNA to LGW.
Passengers - 64 % to capacity as quoted by the local agent.

I will investigate and come back with more ...

Cheers

Gunship
21st Feb 2001, 16:45
If anybody is still interested:

Nova Gulf is on a joint venture operation with Sierra National Airways (SNA). The owner of Nova Gulf is from Dubai and operated by an Indian gentleman, Mr Mehta. Other than the 727 SNA operates from this week a Let 410 on internal flights.

The UK flight is 70% occupied outbound now and between 45 and 50% inbound to Freetown. Apperently freight is in HIGH demand! (Understandable :))

Cheers,

Gunship
;)