PDA

View Full Version : News Helos Collide in Arizona

Airbubba
27th Jul 2007, 20:14
CNN is streaming raw video of what looks like two burned crash sites...

"Two news helicopters from KNXV and KTVK have collided in Phoenix, AZ."

crop duster
27th Jul 2007, 20:21
Two ENG helicopters have just collided over Phoenix, Arizona. From the pictures on Fox News it doesn't look good for those on board. Sad day for all involved. Prayers for the families and friends.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291233,00.html
barryb

HowlingWind
27th Jul 2007, 20:55
Early reports state three people dead. Helicopters were filming a police chase when the crash occurred. At least one appears to have gone down in a residential neighbourhood. Sad stuff.

Airbubba
27th Jul 2007, 21:03
Now looks like at least four dead...

One of the PHX stations is streaming live local coverage, link at www.azfamily.com

cptjim
27th Jul 2007, 21:44
Screen grab of a witness photohttp://www.etribes.com/sites/etribes.com/files/images/News%20heli%20crash.jpg?78

More streaming video here...
http://mfile.akamai.com/22350/live/reflector:46204.asx?bkup=34964

My prayers and sympathies to all those involved

RIP

CptJim

robbreid
27th Jul 2007, 21:52
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/019984L.html

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/3645.html Live coverage from Channel 15 helicopter as collision occured.

BlenderPilot
27th Jul 2007, 22:03
http://wcbstv.com/video/[email protected]

Laixer
27th Jul 2007, 23:53
" The police chief said the suspect will likely face criminal charges for the deaths in the helicopter crash."

I don't see how the suspect in the police chase can be held responsible for the crash. Seems absurd.

con-pilot
28th Jul 2007, 00:02
don't see how the suspect in the police chase can be held responsible for the crash. Seems absurd.

Not at all. It is as the same if two cars crashed avoiding the pursuit and killed 4 people. Fact is that because the driver of the truck chose to run from the police, a felony, and any deaths resulting from his actions he is liable for. Same law applies to people who start forest fires and fire fighters die, or civilians die from the fire.

Sadly all he probably will be charged with is Manslaughter.

mortennb
28th Jul 2007, 00:52
I was thiking the same, but it makes sence when you put it like that Con Pilot.

- M

fokkerjet
28th Jul 2007, 01:38
but.....the helicopters were chasing the chase, not avoiding any actions associated with that chase. Kind of like me standing around watching a bank robbery from the other side of the street, then stepping off the curb in front of a car and getting hit because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I don't think the robbers are going to get bonus jail time because I got hit by a car.

robbreid
28th Jul 2007, 02:11
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0542528/L/

gulliBell
28th Jul 2007, 02:14
Firstly, it is with profound regret that we learn of the 4-fatal mid-air collision in Arizona. Needless to say a melancholic haze descends on the pprune community every time there is an accident and loss of life.

The pilot to pilot audio comm has been posted on the ABC news site. One pilot is heard reporting his position as directly under the other helicopter, then there is brief confusion as to who is on top of who, then the pilot goes back to live reporting of the chase (the pilot serves a dual role, that of pilot and that of live to air reporter). Then a few seconds later there is the mid-air collision, an expletive, and the audio clip stops.

From initial listening of the audio it is not apparent that the situational awareness confusion was resolved before the pilot went back to reporting what was unfolding on the ground.

It is difficult to understand how the collision unfolded when at least one pilot was in sight of the other, and both pilots knew of their close proximity to another aircraft, al-be-it some confusion as to who was positioned on top of who. Hopefully all will be revealed at the subsequent investigation.

Brian Abraham
28th Jul 2007, 05:07
Very sobering video, shows what a tenuous grip we have on life. Condolences. The American legal system though has surely risen to a new level of lunacy if they think they can pin the accident on the fleeing felon.

Three Yellows
28th Jul 2007, 06:17
It is of course tragic that four people have lost their lives and there will be many families affected by this. My condolances to all, however (as a non rotorhead) lets not get carried away blaming the car driver.

I'm afraid that this type of accident was just waiting to happen. The only odd thing is that it hasn't happend before. The way any helicopter is allowed to operate in the US amazes me - I've seen R22s for example, approach and depart landing sites over crowds of 1000s of people.

The FAA would have made better use of their time looking at real flight safety issues such as this, rather than worrying about BA747s on three engines or whether Joe Bloggs from Southend doing his PPL stateside was a terrorist threat. After all, they ask you on the visa waiver form if you are a terrorist.

WestWind1950
28th Jul 2007, 06:30
Germany passed a regulation some time ago forbidding circling of accident or other happenings in order to keep just such things from happening and to keep private (news) helicopters out of the way of police or rescue helicopters!

What is so interesting about a car chase that TWO tv channels have to cover it and get in harms way? Sorry.... sympathies to the families, but it was an accident waiting to happen..... :(

Octavius
28th Jul 2007, 07:13
KTVK and KNXV collided.

"Aerial footage from another station covering the chase, KPNX-TV, showed large plumes of black smoke and flames coming from the wreckage."

KPHO had one in the air too.

I suppose the police may have had an aircraft in the air.

That is FIVE.

Slow news day?

KSAZ was in the air too...

Three Yellows
28th Jul 2007, 08:06
It is normal in the states. In fact in some cities you can subscribe to text alerts to let you know when a chase is on TV.

I think in LA its not uncommon for there to be 15 helis in the chase (police and media).

Bokkenrijder
28th Jul 2007, 09:46
The lyrics to Don Henley's Dirty Laundry sums it up quite nicely:

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre stiff
Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we havent told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Two's in
28th Jul 2007, 10:58
However tragic this was, it was also very predictable and just a matter of time. The other News Helicopters then filming the downed birds just summed up the consideration any media organization has towards for other people's tragedies - it sells ratings. Eating their own young indeed.

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
(CONTINUED)

PART 91--GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Flight Rules

Sec. 91.111 Operating near other aircraft.

(a) No person may operate an aircraft so close to another aircraft
as to create a collision hazard.
(b) No person may operate an aircraft in formation flight except by
arrangement with the pilot in command of each aircraft in the formation.
(c) No person may operate an aircraft, carrying passengers for hire,
in formation flight.

barry lloyd
28th Jul 2007, 11:36
What a terrible waste of lives.

Following in Bokkenrijder's footsteps, I'm sure this echoes the feelings of many of us these days... (From Simon & Garfunkel's Only Living Boy in New York).

I get the news I need on the weather report - I gather all the news I need on the weather report

CYHeli
28th Jul 2007, 11:45
Sounds like a very high work load.
My condolenses to the family members.

as355f1
28th Jul 2007, 11:53
Video clip, Very Sad R.I.P
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=3901134&version=22&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Colonal Mustard
28th Jul 2007, 11:53
condolences to those left behind......

Maybe now some of us will realise why,

A.) TRA`s are put in place at the earliest opportunities at major incidents
B.) The CAA may be extremely harsh in certain areas but its a sobering thought that at least something like this scenario is less likely to happen in the uk due to their regs(5/6 news helo`s chasing the best image of a vehicle pursuit).

Putting that aside though RIP:(

SilsoeSid
28th Jul 2007, 12:06
From the links above.
A horrifying scene, as 2 news helicopters crash in mid-air while covering a police pursuit in uptown Phoenix. Four men, longtime journalists and pilots died in that crash above Steel Indian School Park.
http://www.foxnews.com/images/302317/12_62_072707_ChopperCrash001.jpg
Killed on board the KTVK helicopter were pilot Scott Bowerbank and photographer Jim Cox, the station reported.
On board the KNXV aircraft were reporter-pilot Craig Smith and photographer Rick Krolak, the station reported.

A sad day, RIP guys.

HowlingWind
28th Jul 2007, 14:04
" The police chief said the suspect will likely face criminal charges for the deaths in the helicopter crash."

I cant't believe it! Isn't the pilot the final authority regarding all aspects of flight due to the FAA AIM?

Is a clebrity also responsible if a paparazzi gets hurt while trying to get a picture?I sincerely doubt the charges will stick, if in fact they ever are filed. It sounds like the police chief is using this as a smoke screen to divert attention away from the department's vehicle pursuit policies.

Bokkenrijder
28th Jul 2007, 14:20
do you think he was thinking about ratings while watching his colleagues spiral to the ground? Of course he was, don't be so naieve! Just the same way like these news vultures think about the ratings whilst filming a car crash/chase or any other 'news event.'

Who cares about the people involved, as long as you arrive first on the scene and can make a quick buck getting the 'exclusive and dramatic footage' on the 6 'o clock news.

Let's honest, it's the ONLY purpose that those helicopters are flying through the sky in the first place. Filming a cop writing out a parking ticket is boring. Filming blood, explosions, violence, death and destruction SELLS! That's the purpose, not news.

Helinut
28th Jul 2007, 15:17

I think your stance is a bit difficult to justify, given that all the media outlets with ANY footage seem to have been racing to be first with the news. If some one had decided not to broadcast out of a feeling of decency or whatever, then your view might be backed by some evidence.

Guys RIP.

platinumpure
28th Jul 2007, 16:25
I had no idea most of these guys actually report the news as well as fly.

Why? Why don't they have a reporter?

Do people not see that this type of thing has been waiting to happen under that workload? Its just like driving while talking on the cell phone.

My thoughts are very much with the families.

PAXboy
28th Jul 2007, 16:40
gulliBellthe pilot serves a dual role, that of pilot and that of live to air reporterThanks for that vital - and astounding - information. So, no one is trying to save money here by having a dedicated reporter in the machine?

TwoOneFourIf you'd bothered to follow the events, rather than volunteering your 'expertise' on journalism, you'd have seen for yourself how much the accident shocked not only those on the stations affected, but those on the 'rival' helos' stations.Yes - I'm sure that it did shock them but some of us on the outside are shocked that they were shocked. On the occasions (here in the UK) that I have seen footage of the news channels chasing each other across US cities, I have thought - those guys are both skilled and lucky. But something like this was always on the cards.

Yes, I am very sad that it happened and can only hope that the FAA regulates more closely, as the corporate demand has led to these deaths. Free enterprise is a wonderful thing but ...

Undoubtedly, also, the personal challenge is immense and rewarding on many levels but ...

TheSailor
28th Jul 2007, 18:53
Hello,

Why? Why don't they have a reporter?

Why?......

Primary ..cause weight..... !
Those small choppers are very sensible regard fuel consumption if you have weight....
Less weight is more flying time between refueling ....
And also ..after all ...the cost :)

Regards. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/a/bye.gif

DBChopper
28th Jul 2007, 20:28
I'm sure that friends and colleagues of those tragically killed will read this forum, so please let the dust settle a little and be sensitive with your comments guys.

Condolences to friends and families.

platinumpure
28th Jul 2007, 23:22
Why?......
Primary ..cause weight..... !
Those small choppers are very sensible regard fuel consumption if you have weight....
Less weight is more flying time between refueling ....
And also ..after all ...the cost
Well it seems the cost is quite apparent today.

bladepitch
29th Jul 2007, 00:46
just out of curiosity.

one was a squirrel, what was the other chopper ?

looked like a JR or 500?

sad footage indeed.

Coconutty
29th Jul 2007, 07:22
The two aircraft involved were registered as N215TV, and N613TV - Both AS350B2's.

RIP & condolences - sad day.

Coconutty

S76Heavy
29th Jul 2007, 09:40
Risking all in an effort to save lives I can understand.
Risking all for the latest scoop (and what is so special about another car theft) is silly.
To hear the casualties being described as "warriors on the frontline of newsgathering" sounds positively disturbed. To die in a stupid and preventable accident does not make one a hero, sad though it is.
Methinks reassessing priorities might be called for?:ugh:

Revolutionary
29th Jul 2007, 14:16
'There's a strict dividing line between the duty of pilot and cameraman on board a news chopper - the cameraman knows that the pilot has full authority over air safety, and doesn't tell the pilot what to do: he just takes whatever pictures he can from the vantage point available'

I'm sorry my chemical friend but it's a little naive to think that the pilot is free to disregard the needs of the cameraman in the interest of 'air safety', as you put it. Here in Phoenix, in many instances, the pilot is the reporter whose job it is, among other things, to get good footage.

Leaving dedicated talent (the term is used loosely) on the ground and elevating the pilot to the role of on-air personality has blurred the lines between what is good for the aircraft and what is good for the station. Pilots don goofy hats; talk into the camera; even take their dog onboard (Molly the Flying Dog, I kid you not). You have to ask yourself: who's flying the aircraft?

No disrespect intended to anyone involved.

hostile
29th Jul 2007, 14:44
Because of weight, they have no reporters..?

What? AS350B2's and no space or performance for extra reporter. That is not true. Only reason must be extra costs. That is the reason for many safety problems. We don't have to accept that in our job.

My deepest condolences to the families involved.

Hostile.

JimEli
29th Jul 2007, 18:39
>
I find it incredible that a pilot would be asked to double up to do anything except fly the bird. Ludicrous.
<

or deliver weapons, or perform a scout mission, or pipeline patrol, or search for victims, or log, or...

Revolutionary
29th Jul 2007, 19:25
JimEli, three, maybe four out of your five examples are mostly done by two-pilot crews...

mfriskel
29th Jul 2007, 20:21
I have actually seen all 5 examples accomplished successfuly as single pilot operations. You just have to remember that flying the machine is priority one, everything else is subsequent to that. If you find yourself task saturated, it is time to step back, regroup and re-engage.

Revolutionary
29th Jul 2007, 20:38
I saw a picture once of a guy holding a steady hover with his knees while pointing a rifle out the door and shooting at a deer. I don't know if that illustrates a point or not. Just thought I'd throw it in there...

FH1100 Pilot
29th Jul 2007, 20:57
Certainly there are many different tasks that helicopters do in which the pilot does more than just fly around with nothing else on his mind. ENG, in which the pilot is also the reporter requires a high level of multi-tasking, yes. But is that level unreasonably high? Can it be done safely? Well, it *is* done all the time, all over the U.S. and has been done for decades.

These particular pilots could easily have flown into mountains, or powerlines or whatever, as legions of their peers have done before them. Pilots lose situational awareness all the time and pay the ultimate price. The fact that these two were reporting on something happening on the ground did not relieve them of the requirement to fly the aircraft and not hit anything.

But the "rolling scene" (i.e. the chase) they were covering was at a cruicial point: The driver of the chased vehicle stopped, got out and switched to another vehicle as the police closed in. The drama! It's easy to see how the pilots would be fixated as they watched what was unfolding and attempted to describe it to their viewers. They were probably dividing their time between the in-ship monitors and actually looking down at the action on the ground. I would be.

Apparently, the two ships involved in the midair were even talking to each other immediately before the crash, "more or less" aware of each other's position. One had just come to a hover; the other was still circling.

I suppose it would have been just as easy and effective to have someone in the studio comment on that action at that point and just let the pilots fly. What more could the pilot see than the anchor on the ground? In this case, the local ABC/15 station anchor was doing nearly as much commenting as the pilot!

It's a tragedy, and there will surely be calls for "changes" of some sort. But truly, none are necessary. We don't need any *more* regulations to tell us how to fly safely.

Then again...refer back to my first paragraph about how this practice of having pilot/reporters dates back decades. Let us remember that safety is not merely the absence of an accident. The fact that there have been pilot/reporters all over the place doing it for a long time without accident does not by itself make it a safe practice. Some will say that such an accident as happened in Phoenix as "inevitable." One pilot on another of these boards - a pilot who's done this very type of work! - called the fact that there haven't been more of these types of accidents "miraculous."

I have done radio traffic-reporting in NYC as pilot/reporter, and I know how easy it is to find yourself looking at the ground more than is prudent. And yes, I've had the near-misses to drive that point home. But I'm not ready to say that pilot/reporters are dangerous. However, this accident in Phoenix is still too fresh for me to form an objective opinion as to whether having a pilot/reporter is really a safe thing.

It's just very, very sad.

NickLappos
29th Jul 2007, 21:03
FH1100,
you hit it right on the head. This accident may be second cousin to the type that used to plague EMS, where the pilot wraps himself so much in the excitement and drama of the moment ("Dying child needs rescue!" looks a lot like "Fleeing Criminal grabs hostage!")

I lost 2 good friends in Vietnam when they became so fixated on the bad guys running around below them that they just pulled out way too low.

tottigol
29th Jul 2007, 21:59
I have been following this thread and noticed that most people said the right thing, because we all as helicopter pilots, know where the responsibility of this accident rests eventually.

This accident is sad and unfortunate and almost certain to guarantee yet another knee-jerk reaction by the Feds, one that very likely won't do nothing to solve the problem other than cure the symptoms.

For right now let's keep the families in our thoughts.

CDME
30th Jul 2007, 00:03
The pilot who acts as on air reporter is much more widespread than you think. Helinet alone have about 5 or 6 of their operations that are a combined operation, with some of these in such built up places as Los Angeles, where its an insane place to fly in at the best of times. On one fire operation I had the chance to go on there were a total of eighteen helicopters in a relatively small airspace. For those who know LA it was around the Pepperdine Uni at Malibu. There were five fire fighting helos, LA County Sheriff, LAPD, Chuck Street in his Mountain Dew 206B and every other TV and radio station you could think of, plus helos that the newspapers that hired helos to get shots.

The other thing with pilot/reporters is that the equipment on these helos has got so sophisticated they need a Bach of Arts degree to work it. Next time you are at Van Nuys or Teteboro have a look inside one of these helos, they are jam packed with equipment, the cameraman in the back has what looks like a portable studio with him, and the pilot of these helos is expected to know how it all works, talk about pressure.

This accident wasnt an if it was going to happen, it was "when". Condolences to all involved and maybe its about time the pilot role was divorced from the reporter, maybe like the pilot of an EMS helo is seperated from what goes in in the back and its his job to make sure the number of landings equals the number of take offs.

Just my 0.2cents worth.

somepitch
30th Jul 2007, 01:01
I have actually seen all 5 examples accomplished successfuly as single pilot operations. You just have to remember that flying the machine is priority one, everything else is subsequent to that. If you find yourself task saturated, it is time to step back, regroup and re-engage.no offense to anyone, but i think this line of thinking is seriously flawed in today's day and age. i have heard of pilots successfully lifting 1500 lbs with a jetranger, and seen a video of someone successfully roll a 407, etc etc etc...its still not the right thing to do.

when an accident like this happens the pilot is not flying around thinking "i'm task saturated but the mission must go on". i'm sure every one of us has had times when we are flying where we become distracted and are all of a sudden shocked when something else happens and gives you a bit of a scare. usually no harm comes of it and you go home having learned a lesson. unfortunately these individuals didn't get the chance to learn from it this time.

we as pilots are proud and like to think we can handle the workload of a pilot/reporter, but the reality is, in my opinion, that the best thing that could come of this tragedy is for everyone to learn the lesson and do away with the pilot reporter in these congested areas.

BlenderPilot
30th Jul 2007, 02:02
There is no way that not having a dedicated reporter on board is due to weight! I have flown hundreds of hours at above 9000 feet doing ENG with myself a cameraman, a reporter and sometimes even a radio operator on a 206 L3, and that with an hours worth of fuel, helicopter being fully equipped with GyroCam and MW transmision equipment, so if it can be done at 9000 feet, I'm sure it can be done somewhere else that is much lower.

Then next, I think making a the pilot the reporter (or the other way around) is the stupidest idea newscasters have ever had, even in Markets where tha news is a little slow.

Lastly midair collisions can happen to anybody anywhere, and any pilot who has flown for a while has had at least a couple of close calls, so don't just focus on the fact that they were doing ENG.

I flown for years on the ENG market where when there is any good news scene you always have at least 3 and up to 7 helicopters in that particular spot, all below 800 feet, but we also had a lot of coordination, such as when we arrived on scene, first thing we did was announce what "flight level" were wer going to use, and by flight level I mean we would call out for example "I'll be at 8,500" and the other guy would maintain 100 above or below, and due to the fact that we can't hover much because we are very high, we would constantly circle and cross each other all the time.

mfriskel
30th Jul 2007, 02:17
Somepitch- the last sentence is the point- you have to be able to step back and regroup when you find yourself doing everything BUT flying the machine. Situational awareness is key when you are on your own. Not everyone can recognize when their SA is not were it should be, it takes good flight discipline. Cockpit distractions also need to be removed from the single pilot environment.
It is an important point, if the mission or mission equipment package is too complex to allow concentration on flying at all times, then additional crew members need to be added- always aviate first and don't allow anything to interfere with that.

tistisnot
30th Jul 2007, 03:44
Let us know the make and model of your barometric altimeters! Then I can feel much happier when distracted from pure flying - with our feeble 500' separation!

platinumpure
30th Jul 2007, 04:30
I think in summary, I would like to say that maybe this pilot/reporter can be done safely. Just not by me, and I do class myself as a reasonably competent pilot.

I know that personally, I could not be a reporter and effectively fly a helicopter in airspace with 2, 3 other aircraft in close proximity safely. I just could not do it. I wouldn't be confortable with it. I feel that in such an enviroment I need to dedicate my time and attention to flying alone in order to be operating safely.

However, this is just me. I'm sure that there are "super" pilots out there that are way better than me and have be doing this for years "safely".

My case is, that say I wasn't bright enough to know my limitations. I would be able to go do one of these jobs and put myself and other people at risk.

Something is wrong with that picture. That needs to change.
It really hurts me when I read about fellow pilots dying from practices that have been accepted for years but are not safe. We do not have to operate like that these days, wether it be cost, weight, ego, whatever. This is a job for most of us, remember that. We should never put our lives at risk for a job, never!

kiwi chick
30th Jul 2007, 04:43
I think in summary, I would like to say that maybe this pilot/reporter can be done safely. Just not by me.

Oh, I could NOT have said that better myself. In fact I was going to - but I'm a low hour pilot and it kind of goes without saying; but I'm sure I'd feel exactly the same with a few thousand hours under my belt.

I'm a photography pilot, and am continually amazed by the amount of f:mad:wits who ask "so, do you lean out the door to take the pictures AND fly the plane?"

Perhaps now I'm beginning to realise that these people aren't so stupid... just the people who are setting the examples?! :sad:

alouette
30th Jul 2007, 07:32
Low experience, high experience....does not matter...if you are bound for a mid-air, one will have one. The thing that worries me is the fact of increased viewer ratings, the sensation, and the elbowing for the best vantage point.

Enough said, I had a photographer onboard some moons ago screaming and yelling like a jarhead in a battlefield when he saw an opportunity to get a picture. Most importantantly, stay calm...man, I hate it when people yell in the cockpit.

Nevertheless, the accident footage is sobering...

just what the average viewer wants....the drama live on TV:sad:....sorry, just a thought

Octavius
30th Jul 2007, 07:52
You know what the really sad part is?

We NEVER saw the "suspect" in the chase caught by a helicopter news crew.

A new "news" story broke....

Those four died for nothing.

They became the new "news"

Creaser
30th Jul 2007, 11:56
Both helicopters had experienced camaremen in the back capable of reporting,
but role of cameraman is not a glamorous a job as percieved by viewers, as a pilot.
This an is underlying fact to consider if we are to lighten newspilot workload.
It is wise practice to use all the eyes in the cockpit to find local traffic, but it is a pilots job to maintain visual especially at such close proximity.

Reading reports of the accident and listening to the live audio from pilots one wonders if needing to give live commentry compromised radio comunication between aircraft.

It is one thing to expect a pilot, with other aircraft in close proxmity, to track a vehicle making random turns, but add in the tasks of needing to watch the in cockpit monitor as well as look to the ground to see what is happeng out of the field of view of the camaremen leaves less time to look for other aircraft. Usually one pilot or another takes avoiding action, unfortunately in this case given the availability of video evidence both sets of eyes could have been drawn down to a dramatic moment in the chase below, on which it was also their job to give intelligent commentry.

Creaser

barit1
4th Aug 2007, 01:03
NTSB preliminary (http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070802X01089&key=2)

Hell Man
1st Oct 2010, 06:29
PHOENIX - The man who police pursued through downtown Phoenix, leading to the crash of two news helicopters, will learn his punishment Friday October 1st.

Christopher Jones pleaded guilty to 35 counts, including car theft and running from the police. Jones faces a maximum sentence of up to 467 years.

Man Involved in News Helicopter Crash Faces Jail Time (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/justice/helicopter-crash-jones-sentence-09302010)

The video animation used for the trial makes it seem as though Channel 15 basically rammed Channel 3's helo although my assumption is that Craig Smith was perhaps following activity on the ground and never even saw the Channel 3 helo.

Stunning Animation Shows Chopper Crash (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/phoenix/chopper_crash_072709)

ENG Pilots: Please keep your eyes wide open at all times but especially when sharing the same airspace with other helos!

HM

Hell Man
2nd Oct 2010, 05:43
Chris Jones was sentenced yesterday to 25 years in jail for the auto theft which resulted in a pursuit during which two news choppers collided over Phoenix July 27th 2007: Man Involved in News Crash: Media Portrayal Damned Me | Christopher Jones Sentencing (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/justice/jailhouse-interview-christopher-jones-10-1-2010)

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/8/2/5/0542528.jpg (http://www.pprune.org/photo/KNXV-News-Channel/Eurocopter-AS-350B-2-Ecureuil/0542528/L/&sid=77edcfd8da233ee4ef7b2003167dfdf5)

Channel 15's Helo

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/307/307720.jpg (http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/307720L.html)

Channel 3's Helo

http://morningpaper.typepad.com/morning_paper/images/2007/07/27/helicopter_crash.jpg

Both helos after the collision

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/0729investigation.jpg

The wreckage

http://nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2009/08/images/jim_cox_foundation.jpg

RIP Jim (Channel 3 pilot) above and other crew members (below)

http://nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2009/01/images/phoenix_four_victims.jpg

HM

fly911
2nd Oct 2010, 08:40
I have been one of four ENG helicopters at a stationary scene where there was a search by law enforcement of a wooded area for an escapee. I can't imagine that many helicopters being involved in a chase sceanario. Strict adherence to altitude separation is not always as easy as it seems either, especially when there are law enforcement aircraft involved in the chase as well. The safest (and least expensive) way for everyone to get the shot is to pool the footage among the helo equipped stations, rotating aircraft. Some big headed news directors first have to get over themselves and stop having to be "First on the scene!"

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/fly911/Philadelphia.jpg
My assignment 1995: Philadelphia (AS350BA)