View Full Version : Big Mac causes early retirement!

Lock n' Load
27th Jul 2007, 19:23
I wasn't going to post this here, but a certain Mr Jerricho begged me to. Down oh his knees, offering sexual favours and the use of his favourite sheep (how did you smuggle Flossy into Canada) and even several beers, he pleaded with me to post this message which I'd previously sent him and a few select others as an email. The upshot of this is that after 12 years I'm leaving ATC to be with my wife of 8 months in the land of toques and poutine. And here is how I got out of doing my last 16 rostered shifts. In all honesty, I would rather have done the damn shifts!

Before I cut and paste the good bit, a quick word on employers. NATS has gone downhill so far and so fast, and can only retain it's good reputation thanks to good controllers going far beyond the effort the company deserves. People, don't be taken advantage of! Serco in the Middle East is a commercial enterprise but, to coin a cliche, it does what it says on the tin. I have had more fun working for Serco in Dubai than anywhere else. The local bosses genuinely want to be able to get that big pay rise for the staff, so keep your fingers crossed guys. I now know from experience that Serco ME is great when you're ill or suffer an accident, and that counts for a lot.

Okay, enough preamble. Now the amble!!!

How not to buy a burger at a Dubai gas station with McDonalds attached.... Walk fast as soon as the car door is open, don't notice the concrete blocks at sidewalk height, but set a couple of feet out from the sidewalk at the front of eack parking stall. Trip on the concrete block. See gas station doors, sliding glass variety, closing just as you're almost through them horizontally. Despite the impossibility of regaining your footing and balance, try anyway by thrusting your free foot forward and down. Overcook it a little, and as your foot touches down, feel an increase in your forward, horizontal velocity, combined with a snapping feeling from deep within your hip. Rotate in midair, to land horizontally in the entrance to the store.

The next step is simple since it mainly involves not moving while people mill around and find out why some white guy has just flown through the doors and is now on his back. During this stage, consider getting up on the grounds that it's obvious you can't have done more than maybe dislocate something. Try to move. Revise previous assumption to include the knowledge that any movement of your left leg is beyond any pain you've even imagined. As the glass door closes and merely rubs against your shoe, scream like a little girl. You're going to need the practice for when the ambulance shows up.

Watch as the gas station and McDonalds staff scratch their heads when asked the simple question, "what is the address here?" Watch as they scratch some more when asked, "what street is this?" Listen to the nice Lebonese lady patiently explaining to ambulance dispatch that we're in Al Barsha, near the Mall of the Emirates, at the brand-new gas station on the road that goes from Al Barsha to the Palm Jumeirah. Thank Lebonese lady and her husband for their kindness, getting stuff out of your car and insisting on waiting with you until the ambulance is there. Be glad they aren't part of the crowd watching the next step.

Ambulance arrives and Lebonese couple head off. After ten minutes of scratching their heads (this comes up a lot), the ambulance crew come up with a plan to lift you onto the gurney. No problem, right? Wrong. Any movement of your left leg will have you screaming in a disembodied, "that can't be me", kind of a way. After the second attempt and similar scream ("okay, so it's me"), tell them to back off but leave the gurney. Hold onto its far edge and shuffle yourself onto it slowly, at the limits of acceptable pain. Adjust definition of acceptable pain during this phase, on account of otherwise you'd still be at the gas station 4 days later.

Argue with ambulance guys about which hospital to go to, pointing out that you don't really care about the 300 dirham charge for a non-governent hospital. There is only one government hospital they'd take you to anyway, and it's a lot farther away than most private ones. Do not ask if they take visa for the ambulance ride, as you can then enjoy the spectacle of the ambulance crew doggedly following you around your chosen hospital, the Neuro-Spinal, including waiting with you for your CT scan results, until someone ponies up the 300 dirhams in cash.

During the transfer from ambulance to hospital, do all you can to gain a reputation as an uncooperative patient. All you really have to do is scream "STOP BLOODY PUSHING ME!!!!" when staff try to get you from ambulance gurney to hospital bed. They will eventually learn that "Mr L n' L has strong arms and can move himself." This will be reinforced by the move from bed to CT scanner and back to bed. Find out at this stage that your pelvis is fractured and that Dr Anoosh will see you in the morning about your treatment. In the meantime, enjoy some light traction.

When the eminent Dr Anoosh finally shows up about 7 hours later than you expected, you won't learn much more except that the following morning, you will have a pin in your tibia as a base for more traction than your skin alone can take. Oh joy.

Wake up on second morning to get wheeled into the OR, after a truly horrible sponge bath experience of course. Watch as sedative is injected. Wake up again to find that some b*stard has put a handlebar through your tibia. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to freak out about it when they first attach the rope to the bar, and hang some weights off the far end...

On the third morning, get wheeled to X-ray for a fresh look, and finally get some good news from Dr Anoosh. True to form, he'll keep you waiting, but when he does deign to see you it's to say that you can expect release on crutches in 2 weeks, and maybe unsupported walking after 4 to 6 weeks. Compare that with timescale posited by your wife who believes the interweb, and who thrives on a bit of drama and the worst-case scenario. Decide you prefer Dr Anush's timescale.

So THAT's how to get out of your last few shifts. I never did get that Big Mac. :ugh:

SINGAPURCANAC
27th Jul 2007, 19:57
Regardless your story I have known that Big mac is piece of :mad: since 1987 when I for the first time entered into MD.
Anyway I wish you all the best.

JustaFew
27th Jul 2007, 20:38
Don't think that would fit onto the sick form where it asks 'Reason for absence'. Never mind, speedy recovery.

PS Does Flossy have any sisters in the UK?:E

Jerricho
27th Jul 2007, 23:12
Now why would you try and drag my good name down?

Oh wait..........

:ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Jul 2007, 15:18
well I wish you well, and take care, it is only a shame that I made contact as you finished your tour.

best of luck,

glf

Fly Through
28th Jul 2007, 20:17
Cheered up a long slow day in Jockland!!! :}

It's never straight forward over there, eh?

Hope you're mending well, belated congrats & hope everything works out well in Canuck land!!!

FT :ok:

Lock n' Load
30th Jul 2007, 09:50
Hey FT, what are you doing in God's country??? Thought you'd been sent to Coventry... :} And how is Mrs FT?

Serco being very good, making sure I get a nurse when released (and yes, I know, if I worked directly for DCA I'd get one with big :eek:) and allowing me to leave the country as soon as able rather than after last planned shift.

Newsflash - the Harley Davidson handlebar was just removed from my tibia. No drugs, just a bolt cutter at one end and a pair of pliers at the other. And yes, it hurt :mad:

Emma1974
30th Jul 2007, 10:04
Always look on the bright side.......it couldve been both legs.you must be hopping mad.:)

Mr. Pig
31st Jul 2007, 13:58
Mate - the only thing that could have made that story more impressive is if you had actually made it to the McD's, crawling in agony, writhing in pain, then placed your order through clenched teeth and promptly fainted!:D

See you in a week or three.

Pig

Lock n' Load
31st Jul 2007, 15:02
Hey Piggy! It's amazing how keen people are to see you when you promised them a drink... ;)

Latest news, got out of bed yesterday with the help of Torture Lady (physio), a couple of nurses and a zimmer frame/walker. Once I finally got to my full 6'3", I looked down at the assembled Filipinas and said, "oh my God, I'm surrounded by munchkins!!!" Torture Lady threatened to hit me.
I made it down the corridor and into the next where I rested at the room of an American with a broken back. Apparently motocross bikes in the desert are even more dangerous than Big Macs. He took his first step today though, so good news there.

Today, crutches... First Torture Lady brought the ones that hook around your forearms. Oops, they only stock up to a large in the hospital, and that only works up to 6 feet nothing. Too stumpy for the likes of me. Then the old underarm ones came out. They're good up to 6'1" so they had to do.

There are two ways of getting from upright on crutches to lying in bed, with a busted hip socket. The preferred method is to slowly and steadily turn so that the backs of your thighs are against the side of the bed. Put your bad leg forward, slowly flex down with the good leg and reach for a handhold behind to help in getting you all the way down. Then swing good leg into the bed, and use either an assistant or a leg-lifter strap to get the duff leg up. And adjust.

When a buddy has arrived for a visit and is waiting in your room, method 2 comes into play. This involves twisting round too far, too fast, losing your balance and falling onto the bed at a jaunty angle then begging torture lady for a hand before too much weight goes onto the bad leg. At this point, you may make the introductions. "Phil, this is Torture Lady; Torture Lady, Phil." :}

Mr. Pig
1st Aug 2007, 13:14
Egad Sir Shootemup ! I am cut to the quick! Forsooth, "keen" is taking expectations a trifle far!:8

Poaka

Lock n' Load
1st Aug 2007, 14:38
Mr Pig, I spent literally minutes trying to come up with a witty rejoinder to your last. Alas, I couldn't think of anything, ya sheepsh*gger. :ok:

Rather keen on Sir Shootermup as a handle though. It will work after my elevation to the peerage too... Talking of shooting things in an upward direction, I challenge thee to come clay shooting once I'm allowed to swivel hips and stuff. See if you're any good when the calibre is less than 120mm. And no, APFSDS and HE are not allowed. We'll stick to 28 grams of number 8 shot, thank you very much. :}

On the medical front, the staff nurse is crazy. Lovely and statueasque lady from from the dark continent, southern division. She ran into my room with two pills and a syringe this morning and said, "quick, takes these and hide the syringe! The nursing director is coming and she will kill me if she finds out I forgot to give them earlier!" About 3 hours later, she finally stuck the syringe into me. It would have been sooner but the nursing director (Asian continent, sticky out bit that leads towards Australia division, Indian ancestry) came in to talk to me about sick basset hounds at length.

I get paroled tomorrow, and I am looking forward to the beer in my fridge... :)

Lock n' Load
2nd Aug 2007, 15:50
Well, been paroled....

The hospital called Dubai taxi and limo corp yesterday to book a disabled cab (one with 3 wheels???) and were told "no need to book until the day." So, the called back again this morning and booked one for 2:30pm.

The doc was ready, the nurses and physios were ready, my home-care nurse was ready and I was ready. Where was the taxi? Someone called and was told "we are at the backside". Current and former UAE residents will understand the use of backside....and the following. Backside taxi not getting! Frontside taxi not getting! Taxi anywhere not getting! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Four more calls were made, and each time the taxi claimed to be there but wasn't. Eventually I called a supervisor at Dubai taxi and yelled at him for a while; the good 'ole ex-pat fit. :mad: I then handed the phone to a physio to tell the supervisor what had gone on with the rest of the calls. The supervisor denied the existence of disabled cabs and then hung up. :mad::mad::mad:

Eventually, at 3:45pm, the driver called and said he'd be there by 4:15pm, "insh'allah". I said "NO insh'allah; be here NOW." He turned up at 4:20pm. :hmm:

My poor Scandahooligan buddy who had my keys and who'd been at the flat since soon after 3pm was now long gone, rightly so, but he was good enough to leave the keys at the concierge desk. :ok:

More reasons not to break a hip - the 6 inch lip into the shower is too high. Instead, showers for the forseeable will mean sitting on the OUTSIDE edge of the bath and finally being thankful for the floor drains in Arab bathrooms.

choclit runway
4th Aug 2007, 08:09
Always said McDonalds were bad for your health!:ok:

Lock n' Load
4th Aug 2007, 10:31
It's alright for you Mr Choclit - your nurse is full-time and taller than 4'10", unlike my Filipino helper. Now drag me out for a beer; I can get in a car now!!! :ok: