PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been/flown at Limoges (France)?

DBisDogOne
27th Jul 2007, 17:42
Hello all

Has anyone hired/flown at Limoges, France? I think the place is called Aeroclub-nasa (is there more than one school?). They are based at the International airport and I can get there direct from Southamton for a reasonable cost so that's convenient for me. I would just like to do some touring treating it as a holiday, I'm not an hours-builder as such.

I'd like to know:

Is it any good there, the costs seem low (OK, what isn't compared to rip-off UK)?

What's the deal with ATC, I assume it's in English but realistically, how awkward is flying in France with the limited french I have. I don't want to be a typical brit tourist making a bloody nusiance of himself and a danger to others!

Do you need to hire a car or is there accomodation/shops in walking distance? If car hire is needed, how cheap can it be and presumably it's available at the airport?

Any paperwork pitfalls? A JAA PPL(A) with a class 2 medical, all valid and current will suffice?

Anything else???

Three Yellows
27th Jul 2007, 19:10
Limoges is great.

ATC all in english and very friendly.

Flying around France is very easy too, much more straightforward than southern england.

The airport is a little bit out of town, we normally just call in for lunch and so get a taxi straight into town.

I'm sure that last month's "Today's Pilot" had an article on an english lady who is an instructor at the aeroclub there. If you PM your address I'll stick it in the post to you.

Now that Ryanair/Easy/Flybe go all over France most towns have english ATC. It will tell you in the french AIP which ones are french only or french when no ATC. I'm sure you know but the French AIP is here http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm

PM me if you need more info about flying in France.

Last summer we landed there for 4 euro in our Arrow, not bad for a full service airport.

DBisDogOne
27th Jul 2007, 19:38
Thanks for that 3Yellows, I've a mate who gets 'Todays Pilot' mag, I'll see if he's got it before inconveniencing you, much obliged for the offer though. I didn't know about the French AIP though, I'll check this out later. I was planning on brushing up my french before going anyway but it's nice to know ATC is mainly in english.:cool: I'd heard on the grapevine that flying in France is a very pleasant experience, especially when compared to the rather crowded south of UK, that's why I'm asking these questions.

4Euros L/Fee on an Arrow:D, Jesus, what's that, a whole £2.50? Be at least £15/20 in a comparable airport here:ugh::yuk:.This is one example of why I don't take the piss out of the French.