PDA

View Full Version : Today's BA8046 Jersey-Gatwick

Mardavi
27th Jul 2007, 15:50
I had a call from a pax onboard to tell me they had a full emergency into LGW this afternoon. Crew were all called forward to the Cockpit to have the situation explained, 737 landed with all services on standby. He asked me if anyone knew what the incident could have been about. As you can tell from my lack of technical language, I am no expert in such things! He wondered if it was flap problem, made initial approach and quite late aborted landing:confused:

Phileas Fogg
27th Jul 2007, 16:00
Would not have been attempting to land during an initial approach, a landing normally takes place after a final approach :)

ABO944
27th Jul 2007, 16:15
If you had a call from one of the passenger's on this actual flight, why the hell didn't they ask the 2 drivers what happened !?:confused:

the_hawk
27th Jul 2007, 16:29
not everyone dares to trouble the 2 drivers who - one thinks - had just trouble enough

well, at least I wouldn't...

Smokie
27th Jul 2007, 19:09
I agree, I wouldn't want to upset the Cheese Board on short finals.;)

GBALU53
27th Jul 2007, 20:10
Don,t call them drivers, I did so one day many years ago a good a full scale telling off.
We are PILOTS.:ok:

Phileas Fogg
28th Jul 2007, 01:14
BA B737's have air phones? Last time I was on one the seat was knackered, never mind being able to call for seatsRus :)

GBALU53
6th Aug 2007, 15:46
What can one say if only the papers found out more information and then told the public.
Meaning pilot have regular checks and land an aircraft flapless could well be one of these.
Also why the reason the aircraft could not land in Jersey was the runway was not long enough for a flapless landing.
They ommited to say that there is no problem with landing with out the flaps and adding the aircraft touch down speed is higher and the land roll longer, instead of giving Joe and his pulic the fright of there life with only half a story.

Mardavi
6th Aug 2007, 20:04
Well yes actually the incident referred to in the JEP is related. It was another flight but BA have now confirmed in this evenings newspaper that in fact it was the same aircraft involved in both incidents. The newspaper has rather sensationalised the event of course however the slight concern is that it should be the same aircraft. Glad to see in this evenings newspaper that BA reckon to have mended it....thats good!

jordan24e
6th Aug 2007, 20:08
From today's JEP:

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/news3.html?06/08/07-BA%20plane%20'had%20similar%20fault'%20twice%20in%20a%20week (http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/news3.html?06/08/07-BA%20plane%20%27had%20similar%20fault%27%20twice%20in%20a%20 week)

They now seem to be inclining that there was some sort of negligence on the part of BA and that lives were put in danger.

Again, they reiterate the passengers had 'hands held across the aisle as panic swept through the cabin', yet fail to add that a flapless landing at Gatwick is actually not that big a deal.

News comes slowly in Jersey, I suppose they have to sell papers somehow...

fredfred
9th Aug 2007, 22:36
The journalist was Harry Mc Randle aka Harry Mc Scandle - why don't u guys write to the editor and complain about this sensationalist journalism - I knowI [email protected] ( the ed)

GBALU53
10th Aug 2007, 06:44
Two letters appeared in the local rag from two well known local commercial pilots two nights ago.

The letters gave the full story and shot Mc Scandel down in flames.

If Mc Scandel is an Aviation Journelist it should take up flying then he might understand things better before putting a load of rubbish down on paper and making a stupid story a full page spread.

It just goes to show how much junk is put into any paper to sell them.

You do not want to have these type stories that can put people off.:ok:

old,not bold
11th Aug 2007, 00:08
MacRandle has been writing rubbish about aviation for years. I cannot understand why they keep him on. He has to be the most ill-informed aviation hack in Europe.