PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar to launch services in Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle

Condition lever
26th Jul 2007, 23:16
Jetstar to launch services in Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle
By David Knibb ([email protected])

Tiger Airway's imminent entry into Australia's domestic market has prompted Qantas to change a long-standing policy on where Jetstar flies.
Until now the Qantas group has required Jetstar (http://www.jetstar.com/au) to avoid domestic routes also served by Qantas (http://www.qantas.com/) to prevent Jetstar from cannabilising Qantas traffic. Anticipating Tiger's arrival, the group has made a significant change in this policy by allowing Jetstar onto the same Sydney-Brisbane route served by Qantas.
Before now, the heavily travelled Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle was the exclusive domain of Qantas' City Flyer service and rival Virgin Blue. The bulk of domestic business travel in Australia takes place in this triangle.
Jetstar will begin Sydney-Brisbane service with double daily flights in December, within weeks after Tiger launches Australian service. Tiger (http://www.tigerairways.com/) plans to launch its Australian operation in November with flights from its Melbourne base to Darwin, Launceston and the Queensland destinations of Gold Coast, Mackay and Rockhampton. Flights to Alice Springs and Perce will be added in December.
Qantas is still not allowing Jetstar on the Sydney-Melbourne route, Australia's busiest, although Jetstar does serves Sydney from Avalon, a secondary airport outside of Melbourne.

Going Boeing
27th Jul 2007, 00:55
Qantas's Jetstar mulls over 'very large' Airbus A320 order
By Nicholas Ionides

Qantas's low-cost arm Jetstar is looking to place a sizeable follow-on order for Airbus A320-family aircraft.

The Australian carrier says it is looking to place additional orders for delivery from 2009, when the last of nine A320s already on order are delivered.

An evaluation is under way to determine how many additional aircraft may be required, after which Qantas board approval will be sought.

"We are looking at putting together a solid business case around a very large order for A320s," says the airline, which adds that it may also consider adding larger A321s.

"We are very serious about this. We see some great growth opportunities within Australia and as our pan-Asia operations ramp up."

Additional aircraft would primarily be for the main domestic operation within Australia, but some could be operated by Singapore-based associate Jetstar Asia.

Pacific Airlines of Vietnam - in which Qantas is taking a 30% stake and which is expected to be rebranded Jetstar next year - could also take some.

Jetstar operates 24 A320s, operated mainly within Australia but also serving New Zealand and Singapore.

Earlier this year Qantas ordered nine additional A320s for Jetstar, which is facing new competition at home from growing Virgin Blue as well as Singapore-based Tiger Airways, which is establishing an Australian domestic subsidiary.

RedTBar
27th Jul 2007, 01:44
MMmmm Jetstar on the Golden Triangle, the holy grail in OZ.

The next thing you know jetstar will be serving food without charging for it.

Or the colour scheme of QF aircraft will change to Orange.

That will never happen because they have just spent millions changing the kangaroo..Will it?

UnderneathTheRadar
28th Jul 2007, 10:04
This has been on the cards but thy way I understand it is that Jet* will operate Cityflyer services off-peak. It's been on the Jet* rosters for several months at least.

Don't know what the service levels will be though....

UTR

mrpaxing
28th Jul 2007, 11:41
already getting food. book J* between per-mel tullamarine and you end up on a city flyer with a free meal and glass of vino:ugh:

Keg
28th Jul 2007, 14:36
UTR, there is a very big difference between J* operating a couple of sectors SYD-BNE or SYD-MEL in the middle of the day and operating 'off peak' cityflyer services.

UnderneathTheRadar
28th Jul 2007, 17:55
Keg,

I'm aware of the difference! My source was a J* CSM loudly discussing upcoming rosters - I did ask her if she was sure they were doing offpeak Cityflyer and the answer was an unequivocal yes.

Having said that, a quick check of both Qantas and J* websites doesn't seem to show an commonality of departure times.

UTR

KRUSTY 34
28th Jul 2007, 22:44
Tip of the Iceberg Keg!

PattyStacker
29th Jul 2007, 00:00
UTR , By CSM you mean International and YES international do 1 flight a week - SYD - MEL on a Monday and 1 flight a week back on a Tues. 2 flghts in total.

But I am sure the CSM never let the truth get in the way of a bloddy good story.

JQ don't operate off peak services or a couple throughout the day. December will be a different story withthe intro of 2 syd-bne returns.

Keg
29th Jul 2007, 11:46
Krusty, I've got no doubt that we'll be seeing a lot more of J* on the main trunk routes. I suspect that you'll see a J* aircraft either five minutes in front or behind a Tiger aircraft and/or whatever Virgin's new LCC is called on any route they fly.

That said, there is a very big difference between what QF markets as a 'cityflyer' service and any LCC offering around the place including a J* off peak service (or even peak service).

blow.n.gasket
1st Aug 2007, 08:59
I wonder if the Competition Watch dog would have anything to say about a JetStar aircraft within 5 min of Tiger shadowing them?

B A Lert
2nd Aug 2007, 00:46
Jetstar appear to be operating three daily off-peaks YSSY/YBBN and one peak. My informant tells me that they are planning YSSY departures with the A320 at 1135, 1255, 1330 and 1700. They are also planning Mascot/Tullamarine departures with the A320 at 0600, 0935, 1350 and 1750. He is still digging for YBBN/YMML and reckons for each departure from YSSY, there will be the same number of reciprocal arrivals for each city pair.

Tip of the iceberg indeed.

max autobrakes
2nd Aug 2007, 08:57
I thought Dixon said JetStar would never,"read my lips" compete head to head with Qantas Mainline!
I wonder what other little promises will be broken?
The man couldn't even lie straight in bed!

Funk
2nd Aug 2007, 09:04
what about rebranding Jet* as say I dunnno......Trans Australian and take over Qantas' domestic routes.:}