PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Shetland

Quarto
26th Jul 2007, 20:39
Hi there,
I am trying to plan a trip to Shetland and was looking for any tips or information that people can give me. I was thinking of visiting Fair Isle either on the way up or on the way back.
In terms of survival equipment I was thinking of hiring a survival suit and an ELT as well as wearing a lifejacket. Would it be necessary to carry a life raft as well? It will probably only be myself aboard the aircraft.
If landing at Sumburgh will there be a handling charge to pay as well as a landing fee?
Thanks in advance,
Quarto

egld0624
27th Jul 2007, 08:13
Hi Quarto,

Flew up there 2 Jan's ago... didn't stop at Fair Isle. We took a raft and were pretty dressed including life jackets (flew a PA28) just because of that time of the year but didn't wear suits. If you want to hire all that type of equipment and possibly save yourself the weight taking it there...then I'd strongly advise you give Andrew Bruce (FBO at Wick a call) he rents out equipment for transatlantic flights. As far as I know there still isn't a handling charge in addition to the landing fee at either Wick or Sumburgh.

Have a great flight!

EG:ok:

Tinstaafl
27th Jul 2007, 17:22
Why not land at Tingwall instead of Sumburgh? It's a hell of a lot closer to Lerwick - and no 'security' bull**** to go through to get to your aircraft. Avgas is usually available there (but check first). A lot cheaper by taxi to town ~10 mins vs 30-40 from Sumburgh.

Before landing at any of the strips I'd strongly recommend you talk to one of the pilots at Tingwall. There are some deadly serious wind limitations for the strips at Fair Isle & Foula, and local knowledge stuff for most of them.

The ph. number is (was?) 01595 840 246.

In summer the bird observatory on Fair Isle has accommodation. Foula has a B&B, Lerwick various B&Bs + hotels etc. Unst has an airstrip if you'd like to go further north as do Fetlar, Out Skerries, Papa Stour & Whalsay. Most islands have B&B accomm.

Be warned that most strips are short ~450-500m. Out Skerries is 380m with obstacles.

Avoiding Action
28th Jul 2007, 10:33
Did the trip a few years ago, and it's one of the best one's in my log book - right up there with flying in Hawaii!;)

Concur with Tinstaafl - Tingwall's a better option for Lerwick, definitely not as expensive and usually has AVGAS, from what I remember. Having said that, if you do end up in Sumburgh, IIRC there was only a landing fee. I made sure that I flew over Muckle Flugga lighthouse - the most northerly point in the British Isles - another tick in the logbook:ok:

Fair Isle is definitely worth a look too - It's a reasonably challenging strip in some conditions, and make sure you ring Dave Wheeler before you go; a really pro-aviation bloke who supervises the airstrip as well as being the National Trust bod on the island.

http://www.fairisle.org.uk/egef/index.htm

As for survival equipment - it's your call. IIRC it's about 20nm legs from the north end of the Orkney Islands to Fair Isle, and again to Sumburgh. Life jackets at minimum, but that far north, the water's likely to feel very cold, even in mid summer.

You might also want to consider a quick hop between Westray and Papa Westray either on your way up or back. Shortest scheduled air route in the world!

Enjoy!

AA

spittingimage
28th Jul 2007, 15:44
You do not say what aircraft you plan to use. Hope it is / you are happy with short strips ! They are defintely a challenge and not all flat either, especially Skerries and Papa Stour.

Agree with foregoing posts but also bear in mind that there is limited or no parking room on some of the strips so it is essential IMHO to liaise with Loganair so you do not block a runway and cause a scheduled flight to return to base without landing ! :\ Fair Isle has parking space though and Tingwall is a good friendly base from which to explore. The outer islands are gems to visit. Enjoy !

Quarto
28th Jul 2007, 18:49
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have already spoken to Dave Wheeler in Fair Isle albeit briefly. I have also been talking to the fellow from the SIC who deals with some of the outer strips. I am yet to talk to Tingwall but I will do so at the beginning of the week.
I am planning to use a Warrior for the trip. I’m hoping for good weather, as the weather in Shetland of late has not been terribly good.
Thanks again,
Quarto

Tinstaafl
29th Jul 2007, 15:12
Here's more info about the Shetland strips from a previous thread: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119221. Note that Loganair no longer operate the flights. Another mob has the inter-isle contract now (Directair or something)