PDA

View Full Version : Word - different footers on different pages?

G_STRING
26th Jul 2007, 14:25
Can anyone help?

I have a big document which needs to be amended by adding new pages that require a different footer from the rest of the document.

Other than manually amending the footers of the new pages, is there any way to get Word to put a different footer on a specific pages?

For example, pages 34, 40 and 70 require a different footer.

Sorry if the above is not as clear as it could be, but hope it is explained adequately.

Background Noise
26th Jul 2007, 15:20
You need to separate the document into sections - insert a sect break where you want to change then edit the footer, click on 'link to previous' to break the link. You will have to tell it to start page numbering at the appropriate number in each sect. Look in word help for 'change footers' or 'change the headers and footers for part of a document'.

Cremeegg
26th Jul 2007, 15:22
You need to split the relevant parts of the document into Sections - Insert - Break - Section break.

Thus pages 1 - 33 form section 1, then p 34 is section 2, pp35-39 are section 3, p 40 is section 4 etc etc.

For each section you can then set up a different header/footer and then scroll through each section using Show Next/Show Previous.

Any page numbering inserted in the footer will remain in sequence.

The Word pedants will always tell you that a 70 odd page document is too long and you should split them up. I've never found a problem but as ever don't forget to keep a back up or two - just in case.

Hope this helps & good luck

G_STRING
26th Jul 2007, 21:12
Thanks very much, will give it a try

PilotsPal
27th Jul 2007, 11:36
70 pages too long for Word? I regularly work with legal documents comprising several hundred pages with no problems at all. Word is a hugely capable piece of software as long as you start with proper formatting for what you want to achieve.