PDA

View Full Version : Class A Airspace

VanderVlietm
26th Jul 2007, 00:03
Please help....

I will be operating a New Zealand registered aircraft in the UK with a New Zealand commercial pilots licence on parachute operations.

Can I enter Class A airspace without a current New Zealand instrument rating if I maintain VFR?

Really appreciate any help as I am in NZ looking at doing the IR renewal which is costing lots of money and I wont even be using it in the UK and have to maintain VFR for parachute opps anyway. :ugh:

AlanM
26th Jul 2007, 09:46
You cannot fly in Class A airspace other than IFR. (unless it is a Class Control Zone like Heahrow which means you would be IFR or SVFR)

Mark 1
26th Jul 2007, 10:46
There are a few drop zones in the UK that extend into class A airspace.
I believe Weston on the Green near Oxford is one example, under the Daventry CTA.

I've no specific knowledge of their operation, but I would assume that it requires an IFR flight plan and ATC clearance, even if it is conducted in visual conditions. A NZ IR with a NZ registered aircraft ought to be OK for that.

No VFR is permitted in Class A, only SVFR in the CTZs subject to ATC discretion. This applies to London, Manchester and Jersey in the UK.

AlanM
26th Jul 2007, 15:00
Also at Headcorn, where the aircraft is subject to a Letter of Agreement with LTCC, and operates under strict guidelines. We now have to avoid para drop sites by slightly more than we did previously.

loubylou
26th Jul 2007, 19:51
Mark1 - the CTZ around Manchester is Class D up to 3500feet - therefore VFR flight is acceptable. The Manchester TMA above the CTZ is Class A, therefore no VFR flight

louby